Legal trespassing?

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
So yesterday afternoon I get security footage of someone on my property. They walked, around a locked gate, past several visible “No Trespassing” signs. I have wireless cell cam pictures instantly when they came onto the property. I noticed it was an older gentleman, by himself, carrying a reelable tape measure. He walked up to my garage, stood on the apron of the garage door looking up, then walked around the side of the garage. I did get a very clear picture of his face.

My first intuition was to call the sheriff, and I did. Second I called my brother, which works about 30 minutes away, he took off work to go there. When he got there no one was there, but there was fresh tracks in the driveway to the gate, and foot tracks walking around the gate, I told him as long as things look ok from there don’t walk in, so everything is left alone for the sheriff, when he gets there. Anyhow a short time later the sheriff pulled in, and I saw him on the security cameras walking around, inspecting things, he then called me and I emailed him the pictures, and footage of the trespasser. He said it is a very good clear picture of his face, so it will really help. Myself living a few hours away, and having plans to go up in the early morning to bow hunt, left early to check on things inside.

About an hour later he emails me and said he found out who it was, and said it was the county tax assessor out doing an inspection. I vented to the sheriff a little about the inconvenience he has caused from no notification he was coming, and the fact he walked directly past a locked gate with no trespassing signs on it.

Now this is a holiday weekend, and no one is in the office, or will answer their phones for me to vent too. So I am venting to you all.

I by no means want to impede his job of inspecting my property with a new building on it, which I am sure that is why he was there. But how about a little phone call, email, a letter or something to warn me you are coming so I don’t jump to the conclusion someone is stealing stuff. The way it is, I pretty much stopped working at 3:00pm yesterday when I got the first picture of him on my property. Then my brother who left his job 30 miles away and drove here to inspect the place. A sheriff having to drive out and inspect the place, and time researching who it was. I also got a hold of a couple of the neighbors and they said they didn’t recognize him.

Now mind you, I did call the country and ask if someone from planning and zoning would have gone out with a tape measure, the lady on the phone chuckled and said they aren’t going out without contacting me first, especially on a holiday weekend at 3 pm. I asked her if she would think anyone else would? She said possibly insurance company, so that made a little sense to me, since my son just fell off a ladder and I made a claim for it, so I called my agent, no answer, but I left a message. I called the adjuster assigned to the claim, no answer, I left a message. I called the main company to ask if they would have sent someone out, they had no clue, and everyone is gone until after the holidays. That was when I received the call from the sheriff telling me it was the assessor.

Total time was about 3 hours, loss of wages for 2 people, several phone called on my part, and having to make a quick dart out the door to go up to the place to inspect it. I’m not sure if the sheriff will charge me for the call, or not. I hope not. But all of this could have been prevented by just a quick phone call, email, or a letter in the mail to let me know someone was coming out. After doing a little research I find the state of Wisconsin an assessor can not go onto the propert if told not too, or if there is no trespassing signs up with out my permission, or a warrant. He had neither. I am not out to press charges, but would like the courtesy of a notification if you are going to trespass onto my land.

Venting off.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem. The assessor saw that my locked gate at my house was open. He took that as an open invitation to come onto my property. To make matters worse, he parked his pickup truck on my lawn in the spring when the ground was soft and let huge ruts.
I contacted the town chairman and the assessor. I gave the assessor my phone number and reminded him that I have a Rottweiler at my house. Since this incident several years ago the assessor calls every year.
4wanderingeyes, you should establish an understanding with your assessor so that this does not happen in the future. He was in the wrong and needs to know it.

Oh I will! But he won’t be back in the office until after New Years, and I wanted to vent now.

I'd be ticked too. Lotta problems can be avoided with simple communication.

Here our assessors do legalized theft. Last year my dad and I bought 11.6 acres of 100% wooded, creekbottom land, that adjoins us way off the road. First tax bill comes in at over $2354 dollars. We were told they took it upon themselves to switch it to residential land when we bought it. Haven't formally protested for next year's bill yet, but was basically told the county is broke and good luck getting it changed.

I am getting upset/angry just hearing your stories.

Sad part is no one really owns their own land... you just rent it from the government .. stop paying your taxes and they will take it away just like being evicted for not paying rent. Would be nice if it was a legit visit insurance or assessor that they call.

I would think for their own safety, nowadays, they would make the effort to call first.

4wandering eye, Unbelievable! Be firm in your inevitable meeting with the assessor but also tread softly. People from away are vulnerable and some assessors (not all) do get even, even when they are in the wrong..
And Mortenson, if someone in your family has the time research the laws and call them on it. They can not arbitrarily over assess you just because they need money.

4wandering eye, Unbelievable! Be firm in your inevitable meeting with the assessor but also tread softly. People from away are vulnerable and some assessors (not all) do get even, even when they are in the wrong..
And Mortenson, if someone in your family has the time research the laws and call them on it. They can not arbitrarily over assess you just because they need money.

That's illinois M.O.

Reminds me of last year. The county sent out the “mosquito control” people. Dogs going crazy and three people walking into the property. By the time I got dressed and out the door they were gone. This is before I knew who they were or why they were there. I walked the whole 60 acre property. Rounded up all three and used every choice word I’ve ever known. Even created a few new ones. Cops were called and came. Mosquito people said they have the “right” to be on my land whenever they want to to spray my vernal pools. I kindly informed them that the second they step off the street onto my property without my knowledge I am the judge, jury, and executioner. Furthermore had my two dogs (pit bulls) been outside, the outcome could have have been very different. You access my property without my knowledge and Walk through the fence you are on a legit suicide mission. Not to mention my fiancé (wife in a few months) likes to walk the dogs down the trails and they end up in those ponds playing. When I demanded to know what chemicals they were using they had no answers for possible effects to myself or my dogs. I attempted several times to get in touch with the main office to no avail. A legal letter was sent to the county and all of a sudden they were bending over backwards to answer my questions. Needless to say I left it off by remidnjnding them who paid the taxes and who owned the property. Wouldn’t you know they never returned.

owning the property is such a loose term anymore, taxes are another word for rent imho, if it is yours, you should be able to do as you please, and they should not have the right to come un announced and trap[se around. Now from a legal standpoint, what would happen if this trespassing assessor were to fall ind injure himself while on your property? my bet is his wife would make him lawyer up and sue you for the injury that happened on your property, even though you have it clearly marked, and a locked gate.

Mosquito people said they have the “right” to be on my land whenever they want to to spray my vernal pools.

Those vernal pools are a PITA. I had some of those kooks come out and spray paint big white X’s near mine. Apparently NJ took a bunch of volunteers and sent them out looking for them a few years back. Trying to map them from aircraft. No doubt to regulate them more. Didn’t catch them but I raked the X’s away.

4wanderingeyes,
Don’t forget to remind that guy that people with loaded guns hunt your land. Could have been a bad accident not knowing he was there.

Our local county tax assessor just pulls his figures out of his butt! There is no rhyme or reason to how they do an assessment on property value here they just make it up as they go along. You can have 100 acres tillable tiled ground and pay $40 an acre tax while the 100 acre farm next to yours is creek bottom with woods rough ground and they pay $65 an acre and the guys 100 acre next to that one pays $20 an acre? None of it makes any sense at all. I've gone up to the Auditors office a couple times and tried to get answers or how to see what formula they use and all I've gotten is a run around.
Last time they came to my house to ask about any improvements I've made I told them "the roof leaks, windows are bad and basement is flooded" and slammed the door.

I'd be ticked too. Lotta problems can be avoided with simple communication.

Here our assessors do legalized theft. Last year my dad and I bought 11.6 acres of 100% wooded, creekbottom land, that adjoins us way off the road. First tax bill comes in at over $2354 dollars. We were told they took it upon themselves to switch it to residential land when we bought it. Haven't formally protested for next year's bill yet, but was basically told the county is broke and good luck getting it changed.
Can you present a plan of income? Maybe supply a local furniture maker some logs? Sell some firewood? Plant some walnuts for future income? Anything that proves its agg or farm related. Is it in a floodplain? Hard to be residential if its flooded.

Our local county tax assessor just pulls his figures out of his butt! There is no rhyme or reason to how they do an assessment on property value here they just make it up as they go along. You can have 100 acres tillable tiled ground and pay $40 an acre tax while the 100 acre farm next to yours is creek bottom with woods rough ground and they pay $65 an acre and the guys 100 acre next to that one pays $20 an acre? None of it makes any sense at all. I've gone up to the Auditors office a couple times and tried to get answers or how to see what formula they use and all I've gotten is a run around.
Last time they came to my house to ask about any improvements I've made I told them "the roof leaks, windows are bad and basement is flooded" and slammed the door.

I've won against the tax assessor before. I presented a bunch of comparables of properties for sale and recently sold. I proved it was over taxed and they lowered the assessment. Might bite me in the butt though as it's for sale now and I would rather the value be a little over appraised. Lol.

Those vernal pools are a PITA. I had some of those kooks come out and spray paint big white X’s near mine. Apparently NJ took a bunch of volunteers and sent them out looking for them a few years back. Trying to map them from aircraft. No doubt to regulate them more. Didn’t catch them but I raked the X’s away.

4wanderingeyes,
Don’t forget to remind that guy that people with loaded guns hunt your land. Could have been a bad accident not knowing he was there.
I agree. Coulda saved everyone a lot of trouble and said no right off the bat. The kicker is the refuge is 1/4 mile down the road thousands of acres. It can’t be sprayed bc it’s “federal” land. So if you can’t spray there (where it’s all swamp and no doubt where the mosquitoes are thriving) then don’t think you can do as you please on land I personally own and pay for. When cops were there I brought up several points. It’s private property. The dogs would have legit ripped you to actual pieces. I have a bow target setup as well as several others for my firearms so what if I woke up and decided to shoot that day?

That's illinois M.O.
I know of several people who get hosed on their taxes each year in IL my uncle actually took his all the way to Springfield and they still told him to pound sand. They assessed his 120 year old renovated house as a fresh construction. In the meeting they basically said we can do whatever we feel like.

I enrolled mine in a forest management plan to keep the taxes low. Our county has a habit of taxing recreational property at the full rate

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

In kansas several years ago the counties tried to change alot of land back to recreational land which raised taxes 10X.However we found that because timber is an ag product you could plant walnut for future harvest and this property had done a timber harvest 10-20 years earlier so there was a history.It was on my neighbors and I helped them plant and even marked some wolf trees.You can change some of this even by showing income from such things as selling firewood.I had a trespasser this week also 4pm in the middle of a 80 field some kid probably around 12 walked in front of a camera that was on some beans left standing.Not one of the locals so I have no idea

If barn was open could have checked what equipment was not getting PP tax paid.

The sanitarian is our worst. I used to get pics of her driving through our yard to go look at the lagoon. Heaven forbid she get her fat ass out and walk the 100 yds from our driveway. She has been sued before, and I used to have trail cams pics of her. She hasnt been back in a couple years.

Reminds me of the "moth trapping" they do here in Wisconsin. To control invasive species. I found a trap 2 40's deep off the road. I was ticked. It took me a few calls to find the right guy. When he was done telling me they have every right to enter my property I let him know how pissed I was. Their mission is to "slow the spread". I asked him if they had a "stop the spread" program, as slowing them down doesn't make much sense to me. In the end he put me on the "do not enter" list. Haven't seen them since.

-John