Anyone doing anything different this year in response to

I use einkorn. It's the oldest pre-science wheat still grown today. It makes outstanding bread. Give it a read, and give it a try. I started out buying the flour first so I could see if I could bake it, if I'd like it, and if it'd produce a different outcome vs the most modern of science wheat flours.

After I figured out how to bake it and saw how good it was all around (flavor, no regret after eating) I went big time. As far as wheat goes, it's extremely expensive at $3/lb in bulk. As a bread, it's extremely affordable at $3/loaf. I had posted earlier I thought it was $4, it's actually $3 if you get it from this place. The benefit of grinding it at home is that you can store whole wheat kernels for years in the pantry.

Here's a place to get einkorn flour to try it:

I've got a 50lb bag of seed right now, and I had planned to plant some this spring, but I never got around to it for a number of reasons. Beware, there are issues with einkorn that make it difficult to grow and process. It needs a special de-huller to get the husk off. It's also a low-yield grain. Best case it'll produce 10-30 bushels per acre. Still you can get a lot of bread out of a bushel of wheat. Now if someone would just solve for an at-home de-hulling machine and faster milling, there'd be a whole new rural development opportunity. I've got a wild idea for faster milling, but that's still not done yet.
Thanks for all the info. I ordered 3 lbs to give a shot. We'll see how good my bread making skills are :-)

Thanks for all the info. I ordered 3 lbs to give a shot. We'll see how good my bread making skills are :-)
Be sure to hydrate your dough (add the water and salt to the flour) for an hour before you add the yeast solution. That goes a long way to bring out the texture.

Be sure to hydrate your dough (add the water and salt to the flour) for an hour before you add the yeast solution. That goes a long way to bring out the texture.
37B17B03-1FA6-4AC8-BDB2-0C4DE759C0DB.jpegE47AB5DF-3ED2-4E0A-8BF2-35A9CDE398EC.jpeg
I made the Einkorn bread the other day, turned out fantastic! Good bread for sure, thanks for the recommendation

That does look good. That's one thing I miss about the rona thread, the health and wellness tips. One of the fitness gurus here like SD or Cat should start up a healthy living thread.

View attachment 44233View attachment 44234
I made the Einkorn bread the other day, turned out fantastic! Good bread for sure, thanks for the recommendation
Did you notice feeling any differently after you ate it? That loaf looks great!

I've gone all in since I've been tinkering with this. I've been working on scaling up the at home production model. Last weekend I did my first 5-loaf bake. I'm getting ready to try doing two sets of five in one day, so I can plunk ten loaves in the freezer in one messy day. I also worked through some leftover grains I had. There was a blended loaf of einkorn/spelt, three loaves of pure spelt, and one that was part spelt/part turkey red winter wheat. They all turned out great, and had some subtle differences.

Monday, I'm taking a crack at making CheezeIts from scratch.

That does look good. That's one thing I miss about the rona thread, the health and wellness tips. One of the fitness gurus here like SD or Cat should start up a healthy living thread.
Running just over 50 miles a week, lifting weights, fixing fence, brushogging, cutting and splitting wood, and the hardest part.... keeping calorie under 1500 a day but grams of protein over 120. And catching a ton of fish.

Running just over 50 miles a week, lifting weights, fixing fence, brushogging, cutting and splitting wood, and the hardest part.... keeping calorie under 1500 a day but grams of protein over 120. And catching a ton of fish.

Attaboy,Catscratch

Keep moving, mentally and physically

bill

Wow are you really getting over 50? I run a good bit but that is impressive. I’ve dipped my toes into the ultramarathon world the past year and half. I love/hate it! Headed back to Leadville Colorado in august to pace the last 39 miles for my brother in law. Headed for a run now

The only time I run, I am being chased and that doesn't happen much at my age lol God bless you guys!

Wow are you really getting over 50? I run a good bit but that is impressive. I’ve dipped my toes into the ultramarathon world the past year and half. I love/hate it! Headed back to Leadville Colorado in august to pace the last 39 miles for my brother in law. Headed for a run now
Never did Leadville but always wished I had. Always said an ultra runner has to to be stupid (or at least forget easily) as for 20 minute's right after a race you have zero desire to EVER do that agin. It fades though. What have you done in the last few yrs? I spent about a decade where I was doing one or 2 marathons a yr with an ultra or 2 mixed in. Haven't done anything long for several yrs though. Lost my drive for the long races, but not for running. To average 50 I have to be consistent, I run every day. Short days around 5 miles, long days around 11.

Never did Leadville but always wished I had. Always said an ultra runner has to to be stupid (or at least forget easily) as for 20 minute's right after a race you have zero desire to EVER do that agin. It fades though. What have you done in the last few yrs? I spent about a decade where I was doing one or 2 marathons a yr with an ultra or 2 mixed in. Haven't done anything long for several yrs though. Lost my drive for the long races, but not for running. To average 50 I have to be consistent, I run every day. Short days around 5 miles, long days around 11.
I paced the Georgia death race in March I believe it was. It was 20 miles and then I paced the Cruel Jewel a couple weeks ago which was 56 miles and 16,000’ of elevation gain. I ran the Duncan ridge trail race last November. All of that was in the north Georgia mountains. I’ve mainly been pacing for my brother in law to get a feel for the ultra world. Went to Leadville last august to pace for him but unfortunately he dropped before he got to me. He’s much better prepared this year so I anticipate getting to run this year.
You are so right about the mentality. I swore I would never step foot on a trail after 26 straight hours in the hot humid mountains a couple weeks ago but here I am!

I paced the Georgia death race in March I believe it was. It was 20 miles and then I paced the Cruel Jewel a couple weeks ago which was 56 miles and 16,000’ of elevation gain. I ran the Duncan ridge trail race last November. All of that was in the north Georgia mountains. I’ve mainly been pacing for my brother in law to get a feel for the ultra world. Went to Leadville last august to pace for him but unfortunately he dropped before he got to me. He’s much better prepared this year so I anticipate getting to run this year.
You are so right about the mentality. I swore I would never step foot on a trail after 26 straight hours in the hot humid mountains a couple weeks ago but here I am!
Nice! Curious... what's the pace?
The ultra's I did were on trails but never did one on a mountain. Kudos to you, sounds like you are in great shape!

Nice! Curious... what's the pace?
The ultra's I did were on trails but never did one on a mountain. Kudos to you, sounds like you are in great shape!
I can’t remember the pace, I’d have to look at my garmin app if that is what you asking or are you asking what is pacing? If so pacing is basically being a glutton for punishment and helping someone finish a race. So in my instances the one I did my brother in law did 74 and the one I did 56 he did 106.
I’m super impressed with your 50 a week! That is a true commitment. Great job!

I can’t remember the pace, I’d have to look at my garmin app if that is what you asking or are you asking what is pacing? If so pacing is basically being a glutton for punishment and helping someone finish a race. So in my instances the one I did my brother in law did 74 and the one I did 56 he did 106.
I’m super impressed with your 50 a week! That is a true commitment. Great job!
I was asking about pace (minutes per mile). No need to look back on the GPS, I was just curious about how fast you guys are going that far into the run.

I was asking about pace (minutes per mile). No need to look back on the GPS, I was just curious about how fast you guys are going that far into the run.
Oh gotcha. Well it’s a war of attrition at that point! The big was 22-23. It was nonstop climbing. One of the hardest ultras in the country. The faster ones are 13-15

Just to circle back to this…just packing up to leave leadville. My brother in law did it! 29:30. I was able to pace him for the final 39 miles. It was an awesome experience. The pace is “fast” relative to a lot of ultras so it was a real test of mental and physical drive. We turned some decent times on the inbound to make sure we were under the 30 hour cutoff. Super proud of him. Now time to take a week off!

So you ran 39 straight miles?

So you ran 39 straight miles?
Well my brother-in-law did 100….
The term trail run is a little bit of a misnomer. Yes you do run but it is relegated to where you are physically able to. Terrain and exhaustion limit how much running your are able to do. We kept a 17/mile over the last 39. So there was running and hiking. For instance one section was 1600’ of gain over 3 miles. I couldn’t run that whole thing if there was a mtn lion chasin me but you hike as fast as you can. As far as the time on the course, it is nonstop. So he left at 4 am Saturday morning and finished at 9:30 Sunday morning. I joined him at 9:45 Saturday night and finished with him. So 90% of my run was in the dark which sucks.

That's impressive. You'll be in good shape for hunting season. Congrats to your BIL!

Yeah, you guys are nuts. I had an elk tag near leadville last year, beautiful place for some misery!

I'm in the worst shape of my life and I'm sure I'll hate myself for it in a few weeks when trying to poke an elk with an arrow. Curious where you guys fit the workouts in your schedule? Think I need to start waking up earlier to get after it.