Anyone doing anything different this year in response to

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
Bidenomics? I havent bought any gly but so far that is it. I have a feeling I may reduce the random day trip to the farm very very soon. It will either be weekends or nothing. I imagine some hunting trips will get cancelled this season and maybe even some leases out of state. This is unsustainable.

Bidenomics? I havent bought any gly but so far that is it. I have a feeling I may reduce the random day trip to the farm very very soon. It will either be weekends or nothing. I imagine some hunting trips will get cancelled this season and maybe even some leases out of state. This is unsustainable.
It costs me about $100 in gas round trip to go to the cabin. I’ve planned more LONG weekends, followed by stay home short weekends. It helps that I work 4- 10 hour days, and can have my off day be either Friday or Monday. Mix in a vacation day or two, and it seems like a well thought out plan!

Well one of our members last fall turned us onto the fact that fertilizer would be high this year. I bought a pallet of fertilizer and $2500 in herbicides last fall to soften the effects of the Donkey Pox gripping the country. I filled my truck and offroad diesel tank last Saturday it cost me $300. Just wait until the food production and trucking costs start to hit grocery store shelves that little dab of an increase we have been seeing in the store is nothing so far. best grab your ankles Brandon is here to HELP

I don’t plan on fertilizing now. The $120 tanks of gas suck but I am not going to take less trips. I do plan on shooting more deer. I shoot 2-3 every year this year I will try for 4. Luckily everyone in the house loves venison. I’m just thankful the mean tweets are gone.

My local feed store said be prepared for some HIGH wheat prices this year. I am still running four feeders for thermal hog hunting. Walmart corn selling for $10.95 for a 50 lb bag. Tractor Supply six weeks ago was $12 - now they are $17.95.

My local feed store said be prepared for some HIGH wheat prices this year. I am still running four feeders for thermal hog hunting. Walmart corn selling for $10.95 for a 50 lb bag. Tractor Supply six weeks ago was $12 - now they are $17.95.

Can’t you buy it directly from an elevator?

I am trying to prepare, filling the freezers with basics, canned foods, plan on heating with wood, I with I would have bought that diesel fuel barrel and filled it last fall. So far I haven’t been cutting back l, more like planning ahead. I am buying stuff that is still reasonably cheap and stocking shelves.

We use quite a bit of basmati rice we get it as Sam’s Club I think they generally carry jasmine rice also but an Iranian friend of mine turned me onto the basmati. We like to keep a bag or two on hand if your stocking up on food stuffs that not a bad one to have on hand. I’m not really much of a prepper but I do like to keep plenty of 22ammo on hand.

Im still planting plots and will hunt this fall. It’s what I prioritize.

Everything else? Not so much.

Where we seem to be headed 3 things will matter most. Food, Lead, and Gold. In that order.

Stocked up on a few extra things.
Taught myself how to make einkorn bread from scratch.
Going to be test growing some heirloom grains to find what grows well by me.
I learned home-milling of flour is not fast or quiet.
Started growing tomatoes and potatoes in one of my food plots among the clover and wheat.
Gonna build some big garden beds with the excavator this summer.
Let the neighbor kids go that used to mow the lawn at camp. I need their wages to pay for #FJB's gas prices.
Still working on the no-till/kill/fertilizer/weed-pulling garden
Working on getting a new 1/4 acre plot going by the cabin that will be flipped into a cover and bee plot that can be converted to garden if need be.

Last edited:
Ditched the tv. Don't even have a tv that works. Catch something on youtube if needed.

I'll still plot the same. But it helps having a few hundred pounds of leftover cover crop seed still in my basement from '19. Diesel is deductible.

Eat less bread.

Ditched the tv. Don't even have a tv that works. Catch something on youtube if needed.

I'll still plot the same. But it helps having a few hundred pounds of leftover cover crop seed still in my basement from '19. Diesel is deductible.

Eat less bread.
Interesting. I started eating bread. I gain weight like a slat pig on grid bread. I started making my own out of ancient non-science grain, and those problems have gone away. It's absolutely delicious too. The big idea was that grains in the whole can store for a very long time. It's a good deal for the growers too. They can sell their wheat for $4/lb instead of 21 cents/lb.

Last edited:
May inflation number just out ... 8.6% and up from April's number of 8.3%. Oil is $122/bbl and they are forecasting it may go to $140/bbl. Sure do miss those mean tweets .... November can't come soon enough.

Interesting. I started eating bread. I gain weight like a slat pig on grid bread. I started making my own out of ancient non-science grain, and those problems have gone away. It's absolutely delicious too. The big idea was that grains in the whole can store for a very long time. It's a good deal for the growers too. They can sell their wheat for $4/lb instead of 21 cents/lb.
Care to share your recipe? I love bread for sure. The weight gain is the downfall. My dad bought a half loaf of keto bread last week that tasted good but cost $7.

Care to share your recipe? I love bread for sure. The weight gain is the downfall. My dad bought a half loaf of keto bread last week that tasted good but cost $7.
It's a little tricky, and probably better learned via youtube than a text recipe. There are some nuances with heirloom grains because they've got and lower and more digestible gluten content. It also takes some trial and error. Getting the rise to hold was tricky at first, but I just needed to 'knead' the dough a little more after the first rise. I can make this bread for the cost of the wheat. The rest is negligible.

Flour
water
salt
yeast

Cost me $4/loaf. If I sold it, I'd probably ask for $12-$15/loaf. It's more calorie dense, infinitely more natural vitamins and minerals, no toxicity, and it could give a lot of sick people their love of bread back.

Last edited:
Interesting note on modern enriched flour... It's basically pig feed.

The government mandates the addition of certain vitamins and minerals to ward off pellagra. Much of what is added to flour is the same stuff added to pig feed, and it's gangbusters for putting weight on pigs and chickens quickly.