Any Furnace Guys?

M

MoBuckChaser

Why does the Dam Furnace have to go out when it is 40 below instead of 40 above?

The Barracuda says the 20 year old propane furnace in the house will only run for a few minutes and then shut off. She can shut the switch off for a few minutes, turn it on and it will run a while and shut off again. Down to 58 degrees she said. WTF?

Anyone know anything about heating systems?

Sounds like the flame rod. It is a small rod that sticks up and the flame hits it. It's job is to make sure that there is a flame and your burning the fuel. If it doesn't see the flame it turns the fuel/furnace off. Many HVA repair men will sell you a new one. Chances are that all it needs is a cleaning, as there is nothing to them to break. Locate it & remove (normally held in with 1 small screw) rub it off with steel wool or real fine sandpaper & reinstall. About a 5 minute job. I'd bet anything thats it the way you describe it. If I were closer I'd take care of it for you. Good luck.

Sounds like the flame rod. It is a small rod that sticks up and the flame hits it. It's job is to make sure that there is a flame and your burning the fuel. If it doesn't see the flame it turns the fuel/furnace off. Many HVA repair men will sell you a new one. Chances are that all it needs is a cleaning, as there is nothing to them to break. Locate it & remove (normally held in with 1 small screw) rub it off with steel wool or real fine sandpaper & reinstall. About a 5 minute job. I'd bet anything thats it the way you describe it. If I were closer I'd take care of it for you. Good luck.

Great Stuff, I will let the Barracuda know. Maybe she can find it herself, and try cleaning it. Thanks!

Great Stuff, I will let the Barracuda know. Maybe she can find it herself, and try cleaning it. Thanks!
Let me know if she gets it working or what the problem was.

Let me know if she gets it working or what the problem was.

I will, she is looking into it right now. Could it be possible it is something that simple?:eek:

If that doesn't work, try a keg of beer, 25 friends, and some electric heaters. That's what we did when ours went out in college. Same deal. -30 temps, furnace goes out Thursday night, no heat till Monday afternoon. We watched TV in the living room wearing winter gear for a few days. It was one of them things you just rolled with. If "x" happens, throw a party.

You ain't going to fricken believe this.....but she thinks that may have worked? Was only one screw holding it in place. Furnace is running and not shutting off.

This ain't possible, that it was that simple, is it?:eek:

Just think MOBuck, a HVAC guy could have came out and charged you like $500 to get that working again!:eek: Worse yet, they might have tried to sell you a whole damn furnace!:mad:

Just think MOBuck, a HVAC guy could have came out and charged you like $500 to get that working again!:eek: Worse yet, they might have tried to sell you a whole damn furnace!:mad:

Roger That!

My son says it is still working, thank god he was home from work today. Pretty nice having him live on the next farm over!

Tooln, thanks a bunch!

You just can't beat this place!

Hopfully that does the trick! That ToolN is a good guy to have around!!!!!!!

Hopfully that does the trick! That ToolN is a good guy to have around!!!!!!!

I think it did do the trick, it has been running for almost a half hour now. Almost up to 50 degrees in the house now. The Barracuda is now Happy happy happy!

All night she was bitchy bitchy bitchy!

When momma's happy, everybody happy!

Yah, and she thought I was going to drive home from hunting just to fix the dam furnace! What the hell is with some woman!;)

I have to do that nearly every fall with a 25 year old furnace. Better not brag,

I have had to do that at least once if not twice a season for the last few years and my furnace is under 15 yrs old. Luckily one of the HVAC guys showed me the solution after the he charged me $100 the first time he visited! We are on natural gas and I change my air filter regularly not sure why it happens as frequently as it does.

I had that happen in my old house. The HVAC guy told me it's from laundry detergent in the air and the residue screws with the rod. I am not sure if he was full of BS though!

Sounds like tooln is due a big kiss from the Barracuda! Sure don't want one from MBC!

Sounds like tooln is due a big kiss from the Barracuda! Sure don't want one from MBC!

A kiss?.......get her drunk and it may be better than that!:eek:

That works for me!:D

Must be that kinda day, woke the A.M. to the house being 62deg and furnace wouldn't fire. We have a fuel oil furnace so I changed the nozzle and regapped the electrodes and it fired up once, warmed the house and I thought that was it but the next time it went to turn on no go. Bad transformer, good thing I've done this all before, I have spares for everything except the transformer back up and running now. 5deg here and feels like temp of -11deg great day for this.