What one thing do you hate more than buying a vehicle from a dealership? LOL

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
I absolutely hate buying vehicles from dealers. I would rather hit my thumb with a hammer repeatedly. Hopefully not too many car salesmen on here. I guess those people are at least trying to be employed instead of just living in the basement of their parents house. If the vehicle is for me personally I can make the deal relatively painless, but when the vehicle isn't for you that is a different story. I am usually the peace maker in tough situations in our house, but good Lord car salesman make we want to smack them upside the head faster than it took me to type that! My wife said it took me about 2 minutes to make the "happy" finance guy who was only trying to help us LOL get red faced and pissy. I usually cut the finance guy off before they begin their extended warranty speech and just say I walking out if they dont have the paperwork laying in front of me in less than a minute. At that point they dont want to lose the deal bad enough to push their luck. However, today I was trying to answer a text when he began yapping and by the time I realized he was well into the "pad my paycheck" speech I didnt want to be rude and just outright tell the guy to shut up. LOL

Any rime you walk out of a dealership with a car you’ve lost. By how much just depends on what work and dealing you had to do through a process of many dealers and tons of headaches and time. In the end though, everybody needs to buy a car at some point and every dealer needs to sell a car at some point so the circle goes. I’ve gave up on working the dealers so much. It’s just so draining. I’ve found the best way is to try and build some kind of long term relationship with the sales manager and a particular salesman. Long term so they know your parameters on what you will put up with. if they know you long term then most of the sales pitch stuff doesn’t get brought up as they know you won’t put up with it . I had the same salesman and sales manager for the last 10 trucks so it works out. In the end you still lost but, it a lot less hassle.

I agree the long-term history with a salesperson is a good approach, my grandparents had that figured out. Just like clockwork every few years they went back to the same guy to trade off what they had and buy something new. It was the only splurge I ever saw my grandparents make, otherwise they lived in the same small house their entire lives and kept things simple. The problem is the turnover rate is so high anymore those people are long gone by the time you have to repeat the process.

I hate it so much that both of our vehicles are 2007's. Lol

Haven't been to a dealership in 10 years now. Thinking about using Carvana for our next purchase!

Order it online. I built my truck with the specs I wanted and sent it to the dealer. 8 months later (chip shortage timeframe) there it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked at a dealership for close to 20 year, not in sales!
The sales manager once told me their best customers are family, friends and loyal repeat customers, because you can hose them the most, and they wont suspect a thing.

When I worked at the dealership, I purchased several new vehicles, and I would shop other dealers as well, and bought from other dealers. The sales manager came to me and asked why I would buy a truck from another dealer, I told him I would give him a $4000 guess, and his quote for a fellow employee was $4000 higher then another dealer quoted me. He then took it apon himself to walk out and start removing the other dealers sticker from the back of my truck, I told him unless he wants a lawsuit he best stop. They are snakes!

I worked at a dealership for close to 20 year, not in sales!
The sales manager once told me their best customers are family, friends and loyal repeat customers, because you can hose them the most, and they wont suspect a thing.

When I worked at the dealership, I purchased several new vehicles, and I would shop other dealers as well, and bought from other dealers. The sales manager came to me and asked why I would buy a truck from another dealer, I told him I would give him a $4000 guess, and his quote for a fellow employee was $4000 higher then another dealer quoted me. He then took it apon himself to walk out and start removing the other dealers sticker from the back of my truck, I told him unless he wants a lawsuit he best stop. They are snakes!
I refuse to buy or sell anything item of much value between family/friends.

In a small town it's a bit easier to buy a car / truck than in a city. Generally you get to know folks. Still....I would rather work a deal over the phone when I buy vehicles.....and in the past would work a similar vehicle with two dealers. Prices would fall as they both wanted to sell a vehicle.

Today? not so much. The margins are fairly small....so the dealers (especially larger dealers) are resorting to add ons and gimmicks to make a sale. I will buy a new vehicle later this year in Arizona. I think I will buy via Costco or Carvanna. I despise a trip to the dealership......and need to get to an auto show to pick out what we want and compare specs without the sales hassle. The dealeship experience sucks.

In a small town it's a bit easier to buy a car / truck than in a city. Generally you get to know folks. Still....I would rather work a deal over the phone when I buy vehicles.....and in the past would work a similar vehicle with two dealers. Prices would fall as they both wanted to sell a vehicle.

Today? not so much. The margins are fairly small....so the dealers (especially larger dealers) are resorting to add ons and gimmicks to make a sale. I will buy a new vehicle later this year in Arizona. I think I will buy via Costco or Carvanna. I despise a trip to the dealership......and need to get to an auto show to pick out what we want and compare specs without the sales hassle. The dealeship experience sucks.
I used to do a bunch of taxidermy work for the finance manager of a decent size dealership. Yea there isn't much profit in selling a new vehicle, the profits come from all the bogus add ons. He said most of the profit is made off of used vehicles and the service department. Every dealership as the same bogus BS add ons, they all talk like they are the only one offering it. LOL Every offer they make to you is a great deal for you, they are just looking out for you THEIR customer.... gimme me a break. I finally told the sales guy that I had heard these same pitches and offers for the last 20 years and I didn't fall for them then and I wasn't going to partake of their "generosity" now. He seemed shocked when I said I had been buying cars/ pickups longer than he had been alive! He had just brought in his manager to close the deal. I said nothing has changed the older guy who was the manager said, "Alot has changed in the last 20 years." My reply, "Yea, the customer gets screwed over more now." Didnt set well with him.... go figure.

My dad was a farm equipment dealer and a GMC truck dealer. "Back in the day" (50's,60's and 70's) we would have a 23% margin on our vehicles....plus a 2% "hold-back" that you would collect at the end of the year. I think you had to do certain things to collect on the hold back....but it was not too difficult.....IIRC. Anyway.....a new pickup in those days was maybe $5,000 to $10,000 and if you made $1000. or so (10% plus the 2% holdback) and could get the used vehicle at a wholesale price you were pretty much golden. So, a new pickup would yield $1200 and maybe another $500 to $1000 profit on the trade. Thus the completed transaction could provide about $2000 in gross profit for the store......plus accessories......which always went for full margins of 25% or more. Back then cab lights and west coast mirrors and floor mats and such were pretty much a given.....maybe an optional radio?....and we made allot of sales on Luverne bumpers with the farmers.....good for another $150 or so.

^ Those days are gone with me.....and most everyone else. lol.

They always talk payment. Where do you want to be payment wise? Nevermind the total price. We recently bought and the "scouting" trips to the dealerships were miserable. Do not give them your number or email. Leave with their card only. When we decided what we wanted we found the exact model with select options online and went to the dealer. We didn't need to drive it or even see it. Didn't need to be sold on the features, we already knew more than them. First place started at $7,500 over MSRP for a market adjustment. Hell no, COVID shutdowns are long past and this is not some rare vehicle. They came way down and even followed us to our car and were begging us to stay as we were pulling away. We continued driving. Next day we made a deal with another dealership. Told them we wanted XYZ out the door cost. I don't care if we get $1 or $10,000 for our trade, as long as out the door hits our mark. They made it happen and never tried the market adjustment crap. Do your homework.

Helps to know what you're getting into when you head in. I recently bought my wife a 5 year old SUV. Found it online. Showed up for a test drive, knew where I wanted to be on price. He pushed back, I told him it needed tires and away we went. I paid for 1 of the 4 tires and we called it a day.

stupid thing was that when they ask financing, it actually counts against you when you say you're writing a check today and the deal is closed. Used to be that got you a better deal.

Helps to know what you're getting into when you head in. I recently bought my wife a 5 year old SUV. Found it online. Showed up for a test drive, knew where I wanted to be on price. He pushed back, I told him it needed tires and away we went. I paid for 1 of the 4 tires and we called it a day.

stupid thing was that when they ask financing, it actually counts against you when you say you're writing a check today and the deal is closed. Used to be that got you a better deal.

Thats because they are getting a kickback from all the banks if they can get you to sign the a loan. Every place we went had the same offer .... finance here at the dealership and we will take a $1,000 off the asking price. The place we did end up buying from didnt mention that out right when he made the 1st walk to the sales managers office. Came back and said, well we are off to a good start I just got you a $1,000 off what we were asking. I said you mean if we finance through you we will get $1,000 off? He said yes. I said that is what everybody is offering! LOL Finance guy tried to convince me that he had "bought down" our interest rate on the loan to help us with the deal. The F... you did. Eyeroll here.

It's a racket, but it's part of the game. I borrowed on a service van for the rebate, then i'll pay it off after the 4 or 5 month minimums.

It's a racket, but it's part of the game. I borrowed on a service van for the rebate, then i'll pay it off after the 4 or 5 month minimums.
I did the same thing when buying my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.....down in AZ. Got another $1000 price reduction if I financed it. Dealer said I needed to not pay it off until I made 4 payments on it. I went for the deal and it cost me little interest. Games people play.

I think the days of car dealers being "relevant" are limited. I suppose the service and parts facilities may always be needed.....but the on-line buying seems to be replacing the car salesmen in a hurry.

Liberals

Explosive diarrhea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A colonoscopy.