What one thing do you hate more than buying a vehicle from a dealership? LOL

I think the days of car dealers being "relevant" are limited. I suppose the service and parts facilities may always be needed.....but the on-line buying seems to be replacing the car salesmen in a hurry.
I've actually heard the same from dealers themselves. Won't be salesmen anymore.

I've actually heard the same from dealers themselves. Won't be salesmen anymore.
They are obsolete.... most people have researched the vehicles before they go to the dealership. Yes I am sure there are a few older folks who are hold outs for computer usage. However, they probably have someone younger than them who can do the research for them. In our instance we already knew exactly what we were looking for when we walked onto the lot, we didnt need to be sold anything.

Don't think I would buy from carvana,saw the other day a lady bought a car and 9 months later still didn't have title so she couldn't drive it

The colonoscopy part ain’t bad because you’re knocked out drunk. But getting ready sure sucks 🥵

I have had 2, and both times I seem to wake up about 2 minutes before they are done, and get to watch the last couple minutes on the tv screen. I can do without that.

I have had 2, and both times I seem to wake up about 2 minutes before they are done, and get to watch the last couple minutes on the tv screen. I can do without that.
I got to see the tattoo in my colon that the doctor put next to a big paullep he removed on the last one. lol.....can barely remember the event.

Thats because they are getting a kickback from all the banks if they can get you to sign the a loan. Every place we went had the same offer .... finance here at the dealership and we will take a $1,000 off the asking price. The place we did end up buying from didnt mention that out right when he made the 1st walk to the sales managers office. Came back and said, well we are off to a good start I just got you a $1,000 off what we were asking. I said you mean if we finance through you we will get $1,000 off? He said yes. I said that is what everybody is offering! LOL Finance guy tried to convince me that he had "bought down" our interest rate on the loan to help us with the deal. The F... you did. Eyeroll here.

Haha! Nailed it!

I told the dealership I intended to pay cash this spring. They offered $1000 off if I financed it @ 0% for 3 years. Twist my arm! What kind of fookery is going on when they offer you a discount to finance @ 0% when savings accounts are paying over 4% interest? There are some serious inefficiencies in their system.

Salesman are obsolete for sure. I was looking for a new Tundra and I knew more about the configurations and options than every sales person I talked to. And all I knew was what could be gleaned from an hour of 2 of internet research.

I'm telling you, if you have the time to wait for it, ordering it is the best option. Build exactly what you want and bring the spec sheet to the dealership. They will order it with a little cash down and leave you alone until it comes in. You have to be willing to buy new of course, but when I got mine new was about the same price as a decent used.

I'm telling you, if you have the time to wait for it, ordering it is the best option. Build exactly what you want and bring the spec sheet to the dealership. They will order it with a little cash down and leave you alone until it comes in. You have to be willing to buy new of course, but when I got mine new was about the same price as a decent used.

Do all the domestic manufacturers let you build one still? I know toyota all you can do is get on a list for general parameters you're looking for and get a notification when a dealership gets allotted a vehicle that meets your parameters. My only parameters on a new tundra were crew cab, 6' box, 4x4, and SR5 or limited trim and it was 4+ months until a pickup meeting that criteria was allocated and I got a call. By then I'd already picked up a F150 w/ 6k miles that was a "dealership courtesy vehicle" being sold with the warranty conditions of a new vehicle for a significant discount.

Do all the domestic manufacturers let you build one still? I know toyota all you can do is get on a list for general parameters you're looking for and get a notification when a dealership gets allotted a vehicle that meets your parameters. My only parameters on a new tundra were crew cab, 6' box, 4x4, and SR5 or limited trim and it was 4+ months until a pickup meeting that criteria was allocated and I got a call. By then I'd already picked up a F150 w/ 6k miles that was a "dealership courtesy vehicle" being sold with the warranty conditions of a new vehicle for a significant discount.
I think a custom order can be difficult with many brands. Especially imports I suspect. I got a list of specs I wanted in 2020 for a new Jeep Rubicon.....and there were none in inventory. I did considerable "wrangling" over the price but in the end got the deal I was looking for. I only had a 60 day wait and got precisely the specs I wanted.....on some hard to find options (got a Sky one touch roof and other things).

Most cars now come with packages of options that suit most buyers. Tech package, sport package, interior package, etc. I have gotten so used to the tech stuff that I would not own a car without it. It's saved me an incident or two.....thus paying for itself. I love adaptive cruise control, cameras, and the parking sensors....but the lane keeping?....meh.

I hate adaptive cruise control. I set the speed for a reason. Don't like getting slowed down.

I don't know. I went on Chevy.com and build the truck I wanted, took the printout to the dealer I wanted, they placed the order, I paid them $500 and they called me when it came in. I just continued to save money until it came in. It was so easy.

Edit: It is important to note that I had time to wait. My transmission on my Tundra was slipping, but it was still very driveable.

The last one I ordered, I went on line, added all the options I wanted, it gave me a VIN number, and an approximate delivery date. I did have to put money down, and add the dealer I wanted it to be delivered to. They then would send out regular updates, as in, Your truck has entered the assembly line, your truck is being built, your truck is in paint prep, your truck is waiting for delivery, your truck is being delivered, and should arrive tomorrow at your selected dealer. Congratulations your truck is ready for you to pick up, contact your dealer today. It was actually kinda cool. It takes about a week from the first email, to the ready to pick up email.

Do you pay MSRP when ordering one or is there any wiggle room to make a deal?
Not the ones I have ordered. You enter your code, whether you are an employee, family of an employee, or regular customer. It will automatically search for rebates that apply as well.

If you arent picky, now is the best time to buy off the lot, they are trying to get last years models off the lot, to make room for the new model years. Most new model years come out in August.

Do you pay MSRP when ordering one or is there any wiggle room to make a deal?
I bought my Jeep just prior to the covid ordeal. At that time I got a discount of about $8000 off the MSRP......which according to the Wrangler Forum was about the best folks could do.

I'm not sure if you can currently get that kinda discount (?). I was going to price a new Acura via the Costco program......and have contacted the dealer thru Costco.....but have not followed up. I do not anticipate a huge discount. We likely will not get serious until after Christmas.

There was no markup at all. The big advantage for me was the lots were full of LTZ, Z71, High Country. I don’t need that. I got a base model which was not available anywhere so in that sense I saved probably $20k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually tell salesmen to “just stop talking” I find it very effective at getting salesmen to shut up not just for car salesmen.

I’m mostly glad to hear that inventories are mostly normal and the supply chain shortages aren’t driving market adjustment adders anymore. I say mostly because I bought a new tractor and pickup when there wasn’t a surplus of either so didn’t get great deals on either..

What’s worse than car dealers? How about going to two repair shops and spending upwards of $1,000 at each and neither fixed any of the problems for which you sought help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk