Any duck habitat guys?

dawghall

A good 3 year old buck
I was wondering what trees and shrubs any of the duck hunters on here plant in wet areas (seasonal flooding) From what I have read I would have to put the Nuttall oak at the top. I know Pin oaks are popular north of me (I'm in GA), but I've also heard we misidentify Willow oaks as Pins down here. I'd rank it #2 with the pin producing earlier than the Willow. #3 I'd put the good ole water oak. As for shrubs, I've always heard button bush was good. Anyone have some other good ones?

I just got started on duck habitat but I have alot of food already in water and there are very few oak type trees around the water,I have been working on mallard nest and wood duck boxes

Buttonbush. Ive got 50 ordered for this year. Planted 25 last year. If you can control the water plant some jap millet in there.

Button brush is good, pin oak, hazel nut...for plants water plantain and jap millet.

There are some good threads in the "Everything Ponds" section on this site towards the bottom of the home page.

Buttonbush. Ive got 50 ordered for this year. Planted 25 last year. If you can control the water plant some jap millet in there.
Unfortunately our pond goes as the weather goes. Can't rely on that to plant and then flood. That's why I'm looking into more permanent plantings that can handle flooding or being dry during some summers

Button brush is good, pin oak, hazel nut...for plants water plantain and jap millet.

There are some good threads in the "Everything Ponds" section on this site towards the bottom of the home page.
Thanks for the tip! I normally just check this page and didn't realize that section existed.

Button brush will live in your habitat - but I dont consider it much of a food source. Ducks like to roost in button brush. There is a 160 acre button brush slough out my back door. Might look at getting some smartweed established. It will grow in water or on land.

Check out Nativnurseries.com They have a lot of Oak species that will grow in your area that are similar to Pin Oak. Willow & Water oak as you stated, Laurel Oak, Cherrybark Oak and a bunch of others.

Check out Nativnurseries.com They have a lot of Oak species that will grow in your area that are similar to Pin Oak. Willow & Water oak as you stated, Laurel Oak, Cherrybark Oak and a bunch of others.
Thanks, I'll check them out

Since you cant control the water and plant Jap. Millet you may want to plant native grasses and wildflowers that produce seeds around the edges like Pa Smartweed, as mentioned, or Fowl Manna Grass, Showy Tickseed, Beggar's Lice, Barnyard Grass, and others. Check out Ernst Seed and Roundstone Seed. You can buy them individually by the oz. There are even some seed wetland mixes available.

Anyone have some good plans for goose nest barrel

I have a couple of wood duck houses on my place and am making a couple more now to put up soon. Does anyone know...how much spacing between houses should there be? Or, alternatively, how many separate houses can be placed on say, one 2-1/2 acre pond? I am also going to make a few for my neighbors...so hopefully we can raise a bunch of woodies in the neighborhood.

I have a couple of wood duck houses on my place and am making a couple more now to put up soon. Does anyone know...how much spacing between houses should there be? Or, alternatively, how many separate houses can be placed on say, one 2-1/2 acre pond? I am also going to make a few for my neighbors...so hopefully we can raise a bunch of woodies in the neighborhood.

check out nestwatch.org

bill

Delta waterfowl also has alot of good info.Best info I have found is they should be where they can't see each other.I worked on a couple goose tubs today

I've got two on a two acre pond about fifty yards from each other and they both get used two to three times every spring since we put them up. Also have one on our shallow back pond two hundred yards from front pond that gets used two to three times every year. I've seen them pretty close together on our local lake and haven't noticed any conflict between pairs.
If there are a lot of woodies and limited nesting sites I would think you could get by with them closer, as soon as a brood hatches out in ours another moves in within a couple days. I try and clean them out in between but sometimes the new renters start laying before I can.
Adding two more in our wet spot in the woods.

I have commonly placed two on the same pole facing different directions and had them both used.

I have a bunch of trees in the water. Could I just put the boxes there without poles, assuming it was at least 3 feet of water?

You can but from what I have read it will severely lesson your success due to predation

I have a bunch of trees in the water. Could I just put the boxes there without poles, assuming it was at least 3 feet of water?

Perhaps you could thwart Rocky Raccoon by wrapping the tree with some tin below the house? Without some barrier though, I think a snake or a coon would probably get a lot of nests...maybe all of them. Make sure they can't "jump" from one tree over to the tree with a house on it too. They really are like little bears.

i have five holes I manage for waterfowl. I have a pto three pt, 10” pump that puts out 3500 gallons a minute that I use to flood or dewater the ones I can. Will flood an acre, a foot deep, in just over 90 minutes. Some, like in the second picture I let natural vegetation like smartweed grow - and then flood just before season. The next spot, is half natural and half planted millet spot and the rise and fall of the river puts water in it. And like in the last hole, where I can pump water in or out - I pump dry, plant millet, and then flood back in fall

96B4721F-C3E0-40DB-910B-7A4C4B142B5F.jpeg

E272FD05-036E-48A3-A32F-64608588CAE3.jpegF3CA6275-6C91-4683-9CF9-DD0B2810A149.jpeg75AC3C5E-AD04-4503-AA81-AEC815AA62B6.jpeg