Giles Island Caretaker Position

Crimson n' Camo

5 year old buck +
So I heard that Giles Island is up for sale......I'd like to put my name in the hat to be the the next caretaker for whoever buys it. Just wanted to check and see if any of you guys here may know the folks at Mossy Oak Properties or possibly the perspective buyers....I've typed out a letter/email to send the real estate agent who is over the sale in hopes that he will pass it along to the future owners.....that's all i know to do for now.....I appreciate any info or advice.......

Thanks

CnC

At that bargain basement price, you should just buy it yourself! :emoji_smile:

If you need an assistant for the winter months I'd be available from Dec-Mar.

Went there on a hunt once...That place is amazing...We had a killer set up one evening...I just knew it was going to happen...total funnel from a hardwoods down across a dyke that led to a plot. Really a nice ambush spot. We had does moving across perfectly very early....then we had them start to cross and snort and go nuts and turn back and come back by...Happened three more times. The guide got down and saw there was an alligator laying right in the middle of the dyke. Another evening we walked well over a mile...the guide knew a short cut through a swamp to get back...im following and he gets a little anxious as I heard something and began reaching for my light in my pack. He tells me to hurry and keep coming...I get out of the muck and shine my light...sure enough another gator...It was a bit away but I would not of gone that way if I knew it was there. I won that hunt through a Mossy Oak contest I would not pay to go back there.

Before I wrote the check I would want to be sure flooding isn't an issue. Many of the properties along the River from Vicksburg down on both sides have been ruined by constant flooding caused by the Corp of Egrs. Seems the bottom of the Ms. River at Vicksburg is 37 feet higher than it was in the 1970's causing a dramatic increase in flooding from there to New Orleans ruining many of the best wildlife properties anywhere in the U.S

Do y'all know of any similar positions open at other places such as this?.....Or possibly one that may be coming open in the near future due to the current caretaker getting old , etc?

Before I wrote the check I would want to be sure flooding isn't an issue. Many of the properties along the River from Vicksburg down on both sides have been ruined by constant flooding caused by the Corp of Egrs. Seems the bottom of the Ms. River at Vicksburg is 37 feet higher than it was in the 1970's causing a dramatic increase in flooding from there to New Orleans ruining many of the best wildlife properties anywhere in the U.S
This is a very very interesting topic! On the flip side, at what elevation was the bottom of the river before 1970 or 1927?

In hindsight, I’m sure the Corps would’ve done some things differently. I’m sure you’ve benefitted, as have I, from the commerce the Corps’ River projects have helped facilitate.

I tell griping duck hunters all the time, “Sure duck numbers aren’t what they were in the ‘80s, but maybe the ‘80s were the anomaly?”

Last edited:
This is a very very interesting topic! On the flip side, at what elevation was the bottom of the river before 1970 or 1927?

In hindsight, I’m sure the Corps would’ve done some things differently. I’m sure you’ve benefitted, as have I, from the commerce the Corps’ River projects have helped facilitate.

I tell griping duck hunters all the time, “Sure duck numbers aren’t what they were in the ‘80s, but maybe the ‘80s were the anomaly?”
I dont know what the elevation of the bottom of the river was in 1970 or prior.I just know that it is much higher now from silting thus dramatically increasing flooding along its southern stretch. I grew up hunting and fishing property inside the levee in La. across from near where Giles is. Incredible country that would flood predictably in the spring refreshing the fisheries and creating some of the best soil in the U.S. Now the entire 8000 acres stays under water 6-7 months a year, the fisheries are ruined, the timber is dead or dying and use of the property is severly limited. This is true on countless acreage for hundreds of miles. No gripe as I'm not involved any more, just an observation.

There is litigation along the entire river, both sides , against the corp contending that corp management has limited access to property and there is precedent for success. Corp action has created profound silting not only in the Ms. River but the amount of topsoil deposited from the river into the gulf is incalculable . Of course farming practices including tillage , tiling and such creating erosion are culpable too. That with projects small and large from the corp. that expedite runoff into the river more quickly have changed the ecology of the river dramatically .

I would need to better understand what actions the Corp. has taken benefiting what commerce to discuss. I think the ducks have enjoyed the increase in flooding.

So do I need to do some reengineering in the beginning.....Is that what you're saying?? lol! lol1......Hey, give me a minute and I think I can figure something out......While its just Thursday midday dreaming....I think with a little time I could rebuild the whole system in the area Baker is talking about if given the freedom to do so....A....Way to much red tape for it to be that simple though I'd imagine......LAnd and Wildlife Management are actually pretty simple....People management is what is so complicated

I feel like I'm ready to start my next adventure in life......I want to manage a big place like this or be a consultant......My days of being "housewife" are growing fewer....

I dont know what the elevation of the bottom of the river was in 1970 or prior.I just know that it is much higher now from silting thus dramatically increasing flooding along its southern stretch. I grew up hunting and fishing property inside the levee in La. across from near where Giles is. Incredible country that would flood predictably in the spring refreshing the fisheries and creating some of the best soil in the U.S. Now the entire 8000 acres stays under water 6-7 months a year, the fisheries are ruined, the timber is dead or dying and use of the property is severly limited. This is true on countless acreage for hundreds of miles. No gripe as I'm not involved any more, just an observation.

There is litigation along the entire river, both sides , against the corp contending that corp management has limited access to property and there is precedent for success. Corp action has created profound silting not only in the Ms. River but the amount of topsoil deposited from the river into the gulf is incalculable . Of course farming practices including tillage , tiling and such creating erosion are culpable too. That with projects small and large from the corp. that expedite runoff into the river more quickly have changed the ecology of the river dramatically .

I would need to better understand what actions the Corp. has taken benefiting what commerce to discuss. I think the ducks have enjoyed the increase in flooding.
I don’t disagree totally, but this is all much more nuanced.

It was efforts to control floods and ensure navigability following the Flood Control Act of 1927 that started all this, along with construction of dikes and cutoffs to hasten water flow and scour the river bottom to keep it flowing fast and navigable. Everyone in the country has benefited from barges being able to go up and down that river predictably. Everybody. Unfortunately, those debts are just now coming due. Since we all love soil and water conservation, most of us would be just as apt to argue that land mgt along the Ohio is as much to blame as river mgt along the Lower Miss itself. There will be problems until the whole thing returns to nature some day.

Back to the topic at hand. Crimson, can you fill sandbags?

Last edited:
Let's start dredging out the topsoil that has all washed down the end of the Mississippi and then create a market for selling it.....All we need is the right marketing strategy.....That should let more water pass through, no? :emoji_thinking: :emoji_grin:

....or what about if we build more reservoirs/lakes way on back up the watershed so that we can control the flow of water better during wet seasons.....then ease it out the south end at a better controlled rate...People do love a lake lot.... Maybe we can get farmers along the Mississippi to improve their infiltration rates on their farmland as well so there's not so much runoff during rain events......How much runoff comes from concrete cities along the river??

In all honesty, I’d expect there to be a number of opportunities for these positions, but I don’t run in a circle that’d allow me to hear about them. There are tons of places like Giles Island, just along the MS River, some owned by individuals and some by groups. On the old forum, we had a member that was the caretaker at Winter Quarters, just upriver.

In all honesty, I’d expect there to be a number of opportunities for these positions, but I don’t run in a circle that’d allow me to hear about them. There are tons of places like Giles Island, just along the MS River, some owned by individuals and some by groups. On the old forum, we had a member that was the caretaker at Winter Quarters, just upriver.
Winter Quarters is the property I was referring too earlier. My father started the club back in the 60's. and I know the current caretaker ( and property )very well. I am also very familiar with most of the properties in that neighborhood from Ashbrooke down. C&C if you want to pm me more detail about your interest and experience we can start a dialogue.

Do y'all know of any similar positions open at other places such as this?.....Or possibly one that may be coming open in the near future due to the current caretaker getting old , etc?
There is a place on the coast in SC that I have interviewed for twice. Comes with a really nice house etc.. They are currently holding off due to COVID.

Winter Quarters is the property I was referring too earlier. My father started the club back in the 60's. and I know the current caretaker ( and property )very well. I am also very familiar with most of the properties in that neighborhood from Ashbrooke down. C&C if you want to pm me more detail about your interest and experience we can start a dialogue.
Will do ....I'm in a tree hunting this afternoon. Let me get back to my computer.....