St. Lawrence Nurseries Fruit Trees

Connor H

Yearling... With promise
Hello, all!

I'm Connor Hardiman, and I am the new(ish) owner of St. Lawrence Nurseries. We specialize in cold-hardy fruit and nut trees, and I know that there are lots of folks in this community that have ordered from the Nursery over the years. Because of the number of people here that have bought trees from us before, I figured this might be a handy platform to give a little nursery update for anyone who cares.

When your business is trees, you have to think FAR ahead; the trees we plant in a given Spring season will usually not go out our doors for 3-4 years. Our past 3 ordering seasons have been challenging in many aspects due to this delay of effort to fruition. When Bill and Diana (the previous owners) retired, they passed on a nursery who's future had been very uncertain. For several years leading up to their retirement, production and re-planting was greatly scaled back; why keep propagating plants for a nursery that seemed destined for imminent closure? It made sense. At the last minute, I was able to step in and continue the nursery, and it was both an advantage and a disadvantage to take over a nursery with such diminished inventory. It was an advantage because it allowed me a little time to ease into my new role (I was only 19 when I took over, though I had worked for the MacKentleys for 5 years), and allowed me not to become totally overwhelmed. It was a disadvantage because the very project of re-building the inventory while running the business only on what was left in the nursery from Bill and Diana's final few years of ownership seemed extremely daunting, if possible at all.

Well, I have now captained the nursery through three seasons. Three seasons of creative solutions, of unbelievable hard work and dedication from my crew, and of wonderful advice and encouragement from Bill and Diana. Three seasons later, we are finally digging the stock that we planted the year that I first took over, 2015. It is a very proud "moment" for me, and I thank anyone who has helped keep the nursery alive through these first few smaller years. I know that our selection has been seriously diminished from the hay days of the MacKentley ownership, but I just want to assure you all that I am working (along with my awesome crew, and under the guidance of previous ownership) to continue to bring in as many new plants as quickly as I can! Many of you will be glad to know that crab apples are a serious priority. We have a hard time keeping up with that demand, but like I said, adjusting plant/tree inventory is a long game, and I hope you will all start to see the first significant 'fruits' of that effort in the 2019 catalog!

Thank you all for your love of fruit trees and of the environment at large, and thank you to anyone who has stuck with us through these first few tricky years. Please don't ever hesitate to get in touch with questions.

Many thanks!

Connor Hardiman
St. Lawrence Nurseries
www.stlawrencenurseries.com
connor@stlawrencenurseries.com
315-261-1925

Edit: For all who are interested, the new catalog will be going out in December; if you'd like to get on the mailing list, please email or call me with your address!
There will also be some form of limited pre-sale in October (online only), so keep your eye on the site if you're interested. Thank you!

The response to this post is humbling and encouraging; it is wonderful to know that a lot of our trees are going to people who appreciate them as much as we do around here.

Last edited:
Hello, all!

I'm Connor Hardiman, and I am the new(ish) owner of St. Lawrence Nurseries. We specialize in cold-hardy fruit and nut trees, and I know that there are lots of folks in this community that have ordered from the Nursery over the years. Because of the number of people here that have bought trees from us before, I figured this might be a handy platform to give a little nursery update for anyone who cares.

When your business is trees, you have to think FAR ahead; the trees we plant in a given Spring season will usually not go out our doors for 3-4 years. Our past 3 ordering seasons have been challenging in many aspects due to this delay of effort to fruition. When Bill and Diana (the previous owners) retired, they passed on a nursery who's future had been very uncertain. For several years leading up to their retirement, production and re-planting was greatly scaled back; why keep propagating plants for a nursery that seemed destined for imminent closure? It made sense. At the last minute, I was able to step in and continue the nursery, and it was both an advantage and a disadvantage to take over a nursery with such diminished inventory. It was an advantage because it allowed me a little time to ease into my new role (I was only 19 when I took over, though I had worked for the MacKentleys for 5 years), and allowed me not to become totally overwhelmed. It was a disadvantage because the very project of re-building the inventory while running the business only on what was left in the nursery from Bill and Diana's final few years of ownership seemed extremely daunting, if possible at all.

Well, I have now captained the nursery through three seasons. Three seasons of creative solutions, of unbelievable hard work and dedication from my crew, and of wonderful advice and encouragement from Bill and Diana. Three seasons later, we are finally digging the stock that we planted the year that I first took over, 2015. It is a very proud "moment" for me, and I thank anyone who has helped keep the nursery alive through these first few smaller years. I know that our selection has been seriously diminished from the hay days of the MacKentley ownership, but I just want to assure you all that I am working (along with my awesome crew, and under the guidance of previous ownership) to continue to bring in as many new plants as quickly as I can! Many of you will be glad to know that crab apples are a serious priority. We have a hard time keeping up with that demand, but like I said, adjusting plant/tree inventory is a long game, and I hope you will all start to see the first significant 'fruits' of that effort in the 2019 catalog!

Thank you all for your love of fruit trees and of the environment at large, and thank you to anyone who has stuck with us through these first few tricky years. Please don't ever hesitate to get in touch with questions.

Many thanks!

Connor Hardiman
St. Lawrence Nurseries

Thanks for the update, Connor. I wish you success on your "new" nursery.

awesome, and best of luck, if there are any items in particular you are looking for just ask, I am sure this comunity would not hesitate to cut you scions of anything we have.

Hello, all!

Many thanks!

Connor Hardiman
St. Lawrence Nurseries

Will you have a catalog coming out soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear from you Connor. I will checkout the catalog

Funny timing on this post - I just emailed Connor this morning about the new catalog and he was quick to reply confirming I'm on the list and the catalogs will go out in December.

Connor - I was in contact with you via e-mail on several occasions about the hunger for crabs on this forum. I'm glad to hear you're getting up to speed with inventory. I've done business with SLN since Jan. of 2013, and ALL our SLN trees are alive & growing like mad. The All-Winter-Hangover crabs, Winter Wildlife crabs, and Trailman crabs are kicking butt for our camp.

If you can give us a heads-up for when the catalog will be on-line or mailed out it would be great for anxious buyers here. I'm one of the anxious buyers !! I have a few more spots to fill. Thanks for keeping SLN going !!!

:emoji_thumbsup:

Your determination and candor bode well for your success going forward. Assuming you can maintain the excellent reputation SLN has built over the years, you’ll find a pool of customers waiting purchase your trees as they become available. Thanks touching base, good luck!

This is the response you should have given me when I questioned the tiny trees I received this year. I was done ordering from you but with this response I will give you another shot. Honesty and candor go along ways on these forums. Now get to work making more crabs.

As stated in the above edit, the response to this post is beyond encouraging. Thank you all so much. Your appreciation for our little nursery makes those +90F days of weeding in August all worth it!

For anyone interested in the catalog, just drop me an email or phone call with your address, and I will get you on the mailing list. Thank you!

Connor, if we ordered in the past (I ordered last year), will we automatically be on the mailing list?

^^^^^^^ What Mojo said. I got your catalog last winter for 2018 orders. Am I still good ??

If you have gotten the catalog in the past 3 years, you will automatically be on the list for this year. Thanks guys!

@Connor H awesome stuff, congrats on the hard work beginning to pay off. I have zero doubts your efforts will be swallowed almost entirely by people like those on this forum with an extreme obsession with crabapple for deer and fun orchards.

I look forward to your catalog!

Connor H. - Be aware that there are hundreds of "lurkers" on here that don't post or click the "like" button. So a lot more folks are seeing this info and starting to plan on spring 2019 planting. I learned of SLN as a "lurker" on another forum from some of the guys that also joined this forum - and I became a client in 2013. Still a client. Graft those crabs, man ……………… and keep grafting !!!!:emoji_grin::emoji_thumbsup:

There was an issue with my order last spring and I never received any of the trees. I was refunded my money but was a bit unhappy, I will leave it at that. I was not sure I would give you guys another shot at my business. I have moved past my disappointment and I am impressed with what you are doing for your age and has been stated, your candor on this thread. I wish all the good fortune a person who works hard deserves and I am going to try several of your crabs this spring. A regular presence here would be a smart business move, hope to see you around periodically.

There was an issue with my order last spring and I never received any of the trees. I was refunded my money but was a bit unhappy, I will leave it at that. I was not sure I would give you guys another shot at my business. I have moved past my disappointment and I am impressed with what you are doing for your age and has been stated, your candor on this thread. I wish all the good fortune a person who works hard deserves.

Same here.

There was an issue with my order last spring and I never received any of the trees. I was refunded my money but was a bit unhappy, I will leave it at that. I was not sure I would give you guys another shot at my business. I have moved past my disappointment and I am impressed with what you are doing for your age and has been stated, your candor on this thread. I wish all the good fortune a person who works hard deserves and I am going to try several of your crabs this spring. A regular presence here would be a smart business move, hope to see you around periodically.

Response like this is awesome. Instead of slamming a young guy and his growing pains you're open to giving him a second chance.

I think this separates you, us, and folks like us from the nastiness that’s out there. Nice.

Looking forward to your December catalog! I’ve ordered trees from you the past couple years with excellent results. You did an outstanding job with the packaging of the trees.

Between your nursery and Turkey Creek’s Nursery I can get all the varieties and rootstocks that I want. I’ve done that the past couple years and plan to do it again for Spring 2019 order. I’ve had good results from both and don’t feel like changing!

Good luck!