ALONE on the history channel

alot of the naked and afraid "winners" are military men and women. the worst part of that show are the interpersonal dynamics.....and the hell hole environments they put them in...lol.

Yeah who wants their sack looking like giant mosquito bite?

I like watching it the but the pain from all that would make me go ape nuts.

I mean the one guy I remember turned from the camera and said 'i have to pull a tick from my ****'. I mean if you have a tick in your **** its time to shoot yourself or go home. :)

I did stumble upon part of last weeks episode. Completely amazed at the lack of mental toughness of the competitors I saw. Saw the dude starting to build a log cabin who gave up the idea because the mud he had found wouldnt work for chinking on a stone chimmney! WTF Like a chimmney is the only value in building a log structure in bear country! Also saw the guy who went home after he lost his fire starter while the campfire burned in the background. I agree tough to keep a fire going in that environment, but he didnt even try to make a go of it.

Saw the dude starting to build a log cabin who gave up the idea because the mud he had found wouldnt work for chinking on a stone chimmney! WTF Like a chimmney is the only value in building a log structure in bear country!

I found this to be pretty funny also, he must have lost his mind when the camera was off about the chimney to make that rash decision.

Also saw the guy who went home after he lost his fire starter while the campfire burned in the background. I agree tough to keep a fire going in that environment, but he didnt even try to make a go of it.

I wondered about this too, fire is burning just fine, go move some forest floor somewhere and make that fire burn somewhere else that you want to camp. I understand the first downpour you may be out but hell he may have lasted another week anyways?

anigif_mobile_448d8f0789a24289dd92d0bcf97a8c68-6.gif

I did stumble upon part of last weeks episode. Completely amazed at the lack of mental toughness of the competitors I saw. Saw the dude starting to build a log cabin who gave up the idea because the mud he had found wouldnt work for chinking on a stone chimmney! WTF Like a chimmney is the only value in building a log structure in bear country! Also saw the guy who went home after he lost his fire starter while the campfire burned in the background. I agree tough to keep a fire going in that environment, but he didnt even try to make a go of it.

WTF is right! I would have excavated that entire dang beach before tapping out! Weak minded bunch I think

I wonder what the rules are as far as their travel? How far inland or from their drop zone can they go? Some were dropped in nice locations others should have moved and setup away from the bear trails. The guy with the bear had no fire and setup on their trail. The cubs were just checking things out. If he had constructed a good shelter with a log or rock as a backdrop then he would of been ok.
i happened upon the 3rd episode of Alone last night. I also noticed how close some of them are to each other....a little over 3 miles in some cases....so i'm not quite sure what their travel rules are because you could move 3 miles pretty easily and be right on top of someone else.

WTF is right! I would have excavated that entire dang beach before tapping out! Weak minded bunch I think
yeah it seemed like a pretty weak decision to me. he had a fire going when he tapped. he could have moved the fire to a more secure location and then built a secondary drying fire with a "wood shed" and dryed up as much wood as possible and then tried to dry out some wood enough to make a bow drill for future fire by friction....however with the relative humidity there i would be difficult to keep the bow drill dry enough to use in the event of his fire going out. It would also mean that he would have had to spend the majority of his time gathering wood and tending a fire, so hunting, fishing, gathering, and water collection would have been difficult.

either way he had options other than to tap...but it would have been uphill both ways in a blizzard.

while i think Lucas has the requisite skill set, experience and mind set...based on his profile he doesnt seem to be the "farm boy" he is made out to be....he may have grown up on a farm in Iowa but it seems his life experience beyond that is anything but being an "iowa farm boy". I'm not being judgemental of that either.....but how many Iowa "farm boys" practice a "vegetarian lifestyle, do yoga, and partake in a vision fast. Not that any of that is bad....in fact those type of things may help him in the long run. he will undoubtedly have to subsist on a plant based diet at times, being able to achieve meditative states and the physical conditioning of yoga will help him physically and mentally persist, and the fact that he has fasted for extended periods in the wilderness before during a "vision fast" should have prepared him for periods of low/no calorie intake.

Here is his bio.
http://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast/lucas-miller

I'll put my money on Allen. I think missing his family may cause him to drop out but his demeanor seems to be good for this competition. He is eating plants from the shore, has a decent shelter and has fire.

They are down to 4. Three caught nice salmon and tge other found a clam flat. Still amazed they are not building better shelters.

I know it! I think that would be the key to keeping ones mind busy!

Did anyone stick with the show until the end?

I caught some of the epsodies. Lucas was doing so good, with shelter boat & music instrument, but he just up and left I guessed. I didnt have the sound on when he tapped out so not 100% sure about his reasoning.

I watched it on demand when falling asleep, but caught the final on regular TV last night. I thought it went a little over the top when stressing dangers and what the isolation did to their minds (serious issues...just thought they over dramatized those parts a smidge more than I cared for), but I enjoyed the show.

If I recall correctly, Lucas essentially just wore out and missed home. There wasn't a specific reason.

I was rooting for the kid (horrible with names....the one that was the 2nd to last to drop out), but could tell for a while that the mental aspect was going to wear him down...It'd be hard being that young and having a pregnant wife at home. I could see how that would eat at a person.

I asked the wife if I did that, how #@$%ed she'd be at me to be gone 50 some days, and not win. If I ever did that, I'd have 3 choices: quit within the first few days, but after a couple weeks being gone, it'd be win or die in the woods, as she'd kill me when I got home for being gone that long, if I didn't have a check for 500K in my pocket.

I watched it on demand when falling asleep, but caught the final on regular TV last night. I thought it went a little over the top when stressing dangers and what the isolation did to their minds (serious issues...just thought they over dramatized those parts a smidge more than I cared for), but I enjoyed the show.

If I recall correctly, Lucas essentially just wore out and missed home. There wasn't a specific reason.

I was rooting for the kid (horrible with names....he was the 2nd to last), but would could tell for a while that the mental aspect was going to wear him down...It'd be hard being that young and having a pregnant wife at home. I could see how that would eat at a person.

I asked the wife if I did that, how #@$%ed she'd be at me to be gone 50 some days, and not win. If I ever did that, I'd have 3 choices: quit within the first few days, but after a couple weeks being gone, it'd be win or die in the woods, as she'd kill me when I got home for being gone that long, if I didn't have a check for 500K in my pocket.

Ever wonder how pioneers and REAL men survived without a TOOTHBRUSH? Geesh boys......use your fingers. ;)

Was glad to see Allen win. That was pretty awesome at the end what he said he wanted to do with the $$$. Cool show