Allgood Acres

BenAllgood

5 year old buck +
After years of leasing properties, I've decided to own. Here's our 41 acre slice of Adair county, Kentucky.

My mind is racing with everything I want to do and how to do it. I've been combing through different programs offered by the NRCS to see if one may help me develop the property. NWSG seem to be a great fit for this property. Also, I want to add lots of food. We'll see how it progresses.

I love the amount of edge, the topography, and the soils on the ridge top field are really good. There were well used beds, rubs, and scrapes all along the treeline.

Hay bale blinds will be one of my main types of ambush locations.

allgoodacres.JPG20181124_101410.jpg20181124_101458.jpg20181124_101720.jpg20181124_101938.jpg20181124_102018.jpg20181124_102214.jpg20181124_103227.jpg20181124_103232.jpg20181124_103602.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty place!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Very pretty country! That water spot sure looks like it's likely a game magnet (pretty sure I see a rub in that picture too). :-)

Ben, welcome to the forum.

I see your pictures just fine on this forum, but they don't show up for me on the Deer Hunter Forum.

Good looking spot with lots of easy access. That road to N will make for easy access south wind stands.

Access and screening are going to be my first priorities.

Congrats on the new place!

Nice place and good looking crew! Looking forward to following along on your habitat adventure.

Yay! Way to go. You’re going to really enjoy it.

Congrats man. Looks like a lot of fun coming your way in the near future. Good to see the kids getting in on it too...

Congrats on the land, I like the roll of it all - nice to have the elevation changes... by chance is the concrete structure a spring house of sorts? With the topography of your land hopefully the NRCS office and FSA can assist you with getting into some lucrative programs. HEL land like yours depending on the crop history and availability of programs looks like a gold mine for some fun projects!

Congrats on the land, I like the roll of it all - nice to have the elevation changes... by chance is the concrete structure a spring house of sorts? With the topography of your land hopefully the NRCS office and FSA can assist you with getting into some lucrative programs. HEL land like yours depending on the crop history and availability of programs looks like a gold mine for some fun projects!
Thanks. That is a spring. There are 3 of them on the property. I'm looking into programs that will help with NWSG plantings. It's only been hayed before. I want to devote a majority of the fields to NWSG. I'm deciding on different layouts now. I may just put a 10 yard buffer of food between woods and switchgrass. Or I may put the west field in food, and the rest in switchgrass.

That’s a nice place!
Congrats

Springs are golden! flowing water 24/7 is beyond huge... best food plot is a spring, second is an apple tree, third is another spring!!! Love it congrats again!!!

Working on different designs and welcome thoughts.

Red - human intrusion (blind and access trails)
Green - 1/2 acre food plots
Yellow - NWSG (I want to get with the NRCS and see what options there are) about 14 acres as laid out
White - property line

I may have a little bit of road screening to do on the south end in one spot, but for the most part, there's a berm type lay to the land where you can't really see over the top and down to the wood edge except in a couple small areas.

1544551143133.png

Its nice to have the crp fields as a source of annual income to help off-set some or all of the property taxes... Looks like your planning on being able to rifle shot into the plots from the outer blinds? Is the house and out buildings yours? You may even want to consider 15 year CRP trees plantings. I would without doubt be doing some apple/crab plantings and wildlife shrubs for added variety. So many possibilities - it will drive you crazy, just take your time in the decision making process - apart from the fruit tree plantings - I always say today your ten years behind in planting them.

Its nice to have the crp fields as a source of annual income to help off-set some or all of the property taxes... Looks like your planning on being able to rifle shot into the plots from the outer blinds? Is the house and out buildings yours? You may even want to consider 15 year CRP trees plantings. I would without doubt be doing some apple/crab plantings and wildlife shrubs for added variety. So many possibilities - it will drive you crazy, just take your time in the decision making process - apart from the fruit tree plantings - I always say today your ten years behind in planting them.
Yes, those are rifle blinds mostly. There are a couple I'd be able to bow hunt from. I think this year may be an observation time for the most part to see how they're using it. There were beds at the tree lines for the entire length, so I don't want to mess up anything right off the bat.

Allgood Acres - Season 1

This first season will be all about access and ambush setups. I’ll use the knowledge gained in this first season to customize and tweak layout and improvements. I have a local farmer who will hay the property this year in exchange for putting in a heavy clover component to the fields as well as planting a screen along the wood lines and field perimeter by the road. This will tackle a few things. I will have screened access to my stands and a crop history in case I want to put ground into a USDA program.

So, this is the layout for season 1.

Yellow lines are screening (Green Screen by Arrow Seeds) and parking is at the southeast corner which is also screened. We can walk behind the screens for easy access. I’ll plant the two half acre foodplots during the first week of September. The screen will be planted towards the end of next month. I’ll also have screening running between the two points in a saddle on the ridge. One end of that funnel screen ends right in front of a stand at the center plot.

hLBA9Kq.jpg

The northwest stand will have a half acre food plot planted the first week of September. I’ll bring the foodplot close to the stand and not run it all the way to the bottom. The screen will run right in front of the stand giving us easy, hidden access to it. This is the view from that stand:

E0SCrAM.jpg

And, the view from the treeline looking back to the stand:

q2u8yjl.jpg

The view from the center, funnel stand:

QPiFM6e.jpg

And, looking back towards the stand (screen will be at front and extend to the right to the other point):

2vNpUGt.jpg

Access from the back:

URRgheJ.jpg

And, this is where the funnel between the two points will run:

n8WqgqA.jpg

And this is the stand closest to the parking area. There is a bench that runs along there with a good trail just inside the woodline.

0Qj2Ngf.jpg

Looks like a good start! Looks like a smaller piece that will hunt BIG. Lots of good cover in those bottoms.