Allgood Acres

Your place is looking great! Hope the cameras have been reflecting the work. Best of the season is coming up…good luck!

Your place is looking great! Hope the cameras have been reflecting the work. Best of the season is coming up…good luck!
Thanks. It's coming around. I'm definitely seeing more and better activity this year than in the past. Daylight activity has increased to the point where I get more of those than nighttime ones. I attribute that to having daytime cover and added safety. I wish you the best of luck as well!

My middle child killed his first buck this afternoon. He'd seen a nice 10 twice, but couldn't get a shot either time. This 8 he shot was in front of my youngest daughter a couple days before, but she has a bad case of buck and doe fever this year. She is shaking so bad, she can't get steady enough to take a shot. My son helped put together the stand and put it up. He also weed whacked a trail leading up from the holler, through the tall prairie grass, and up to the corn/wheat field. The buck followed the script perfectly, and my son made a perfect shot with the old Marlin .30-30 lever action. After the shot, he tracked it to where he died just inside the woods.

20221125_002256.jpg20221125_002154.jpg

Beauty of a buck and Awesome story Ben. And the smile on his face says more than words can describe.

he's got the body of a horse. Congratulations!

These hills of Kentucky are pretty, but also pretty hard on a guy toting a backpack sprayer full of chemicals to cull unwanted trees. I followed a forester around who was marking while I was spraying. It took 20 gallons to spray everything marked, but I got it done. The trees basal sprayed with a 20-25% mix of triclopyr 4 and 75-80% diesel were tree of heaven, royal paulownia, maples, beech, redbuds, and a couple more species.

IMG_20230413_172930.jpg
I needed a break after climbing out of one holler and looked around to find a nice shady rock to sit on. He looked up at me as if to say, "Spots taken." So, I found another spot to give them some privacy.

IMG_20230415_112110.jpg

Did not like finding this. I'm sure the coyotes as well as some other critters were well fed.

IMG_20230413_154916.jpg

The farmer planting my corn field was busy getting it ready.

Screenshot 2023-04-17 100645.jpg

In late summer/early fall, I'm going to do some strip disking to encourage some more forbs and ready some more firebreaks to burn a couple small areas. There's good pockets of pollinator species mixed in, but the grasses are little too much in some areas for what I'm going for.

IMG_20230414_121413.jpg

As you should have! Beautiful deer.