Direction of hinge cuts for hillside bedding

BenAllgood

5 year old buck +
I've never done hinge cutting because I've never needed extra cover where I've hunted. But, on my Kentucky farm, I am going to try my hand at some. I'm doing FSI in all my timber to encourage oak regeneration, but I want to make planned bedding in a couple 1/4 to 1 acre spots, and I was going to use hinge cuts to promote that.

So, my question after absorbing as much as I can on the topic, is do you put the tops going downhill or uphill if you are on a bench or flat area of a hillside? It seems easier to let gravity bring the top downhill, but from what I've seen on my hillside bedding, the deer like to see down into the holler with something at their back. This makes me want to mimic that by having the tops go uphill or perpendicular, and not blocking their line of sight to the bottom of the holler. From what I've seen and read, most people don't do that. Help a south Louisiana native out with hinge cut directions for hillside bedding. I think the deer like to bed where they can see downhill according to beds I've found on my farm.

If you have any contour to the property, they will bed on the leeward sides of hills (usually facing downhill), typically about 1/3 of the way down the hill or on a military crest.

They do this to smell behind them, and watch beneath them. They like to bed up against an upright tree, fallen log, sharp drop (pond dams are great for this), etc. I've watched dozens of deer over the years come back to bed in late morning near ridges in the woods and bed in this manner. Even solo fawns learn this from an early age. Their little eyes scanning back and forth the woods beneath them, as their nose and ears are constantly checking behind them. Their instinct to survive is impressive.

I believe this purpose of bedding up against something (beyond maybe comfort) is so they can get a jump on anything sneaking up behind them that has to transverse the object. A natural defense instinct perhaps.. Flatter areas, they tend to bed on high points or islands (probably for visibility reasons).

Long answer to a short question - but I typically drop parallel to the hillside for this reason unless I'm trying to modify their travel.

FWIW, I've tried hinge cutting 1/4 acre islands on areas I want them to bed on or areas I think they would if there was better cover. It was not beneficial. Over time it grew up so thick they didn't go into it. Now I only use the chainsaw for TSI or edge feathering areas, and no longer create bedding islands or hinge cut within timber.

They want to bed where they feel safest, regardless of what is there. I now just concentrate on my access and keeping fields screened so my entry/exit is clean. If they bed in a hillside I did TSI in, that's an added bonus. Also - Hinge cutting is also detrimental should you ever want to log the property.

Good luck!

Last edited:
A huge breakthrough as a hunter is understanding how to use this information. Once you understand how they bed (leeward sides & islands), you can accurately predict where they will be on the property under different winds. And plan your stands, access accordingly..

I definitely agree with the above. Deer want to be able to see the places they can’t check with their nose.

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if they were bedding in those spots I found because it was what was available or because they preferred it over cover on all sides. I'm used to flat terrain with bedding available all over, so these hills and more open areas are a learning curve.