Affordable Barn Build 2023

5 year old buck +
Given the current market, and various interests and needs of members, I thought I would chronicle the building of our “affordable” metal barn. With the acquisition of adjacent farm land in December 2021, the need for equipment--thus storage--increased. Furthermore, my wife has been wanting to raise a couple of doe goats and desires a space for the goats “in bad weather.” Thus, this 30x50 web-frame metal barn build will attempt to accomplish both needs. Total cost will be under $25,000 installed. This price includes DYI site prep (forms, gravel, groundwork), a gate, three garage doors, entry door, barn installation on the prepared site, permits, etc… This cost will not include the interior goat fence I'll be installing nor the lean-to and 200 watt solar system (lighting, battery tender and a bubbler for the water system).

We went with a 30x50x14 design that will allow taller implements (tractors with ROPS or potentially our travel trailer) to be parked in the barn. A 12x12 main door, with 10x10 door on the opposite end, plus an 8x8 on the side (for the goats) will provide ease of access. The driveway to the barn will be through a new gate from the county road. Offset from the center of the gravel road is about 100', and the cost of that additional gravel drive is included in this price.

IMG_2681.jpeg
Removing fence sections for the gate and drive path.

Cool, when does it go up?

Once the site prep is done, about six to eight weeks. Actually construction takes two days. I hope to get the ground work mostly done this weekend. This includes 36’x56’ forms using 4x6 lumber for a 6” gravel base, and drain tiles on the slope sides. Once this is ready, I will send the builders pictures of the site and they will provide a six to eight week window for installation.

The site prep is done. While a skid steer would have been the "right tool" I was able to do the project using my compact tractor, loader and some other implements.
Cost for the site prep was:
* Building Permit: $70
* 16' Gate $295
* Lumber, drainage tile, screws, rebar: $612
* Special Tools: $43
* Ground fabric: $120
* Gravel, 30 yards: $945
* Diesel: $30
* Time wise, the site prep took about 36 hours, plus two trips to the city to pick up the above.
Site Prep, Minus Labor: $2110

30'x50'x14' Metal Barn, installed with 12'x12' main roller door; 10'x10' rear roller door; 8'x8' side roller door, 36" side door: $20,295
Total: $22,405

Now I am waiting for the the builders to give me a date. I've used this builder twice before, so it's just a matter of time. My guess is that they will have it up in two days once they start. IMG_2690.jpeg

IMG_2699.jpeg
I still have additional leveling, but you can get the general site plan.

Last edited:
I am putting 6” drain tile around the barn, and will need one more load of gravel. Build date has been scheduled for July 17, so the project is coming along as planned and on-budget.

IMG_2845.jpeg

I had to get another load of gravel ($505) and additional "weed barrier" ($50) for the drain tile, so the cost to date is $22,960. That should be it for the project, which includes the 30'x50' barn, site prep (6" gravel, forms, French drains, 18' gate).

It's hard to believe that a 30' x 50' x14' barn is on that one trailer. However, I've ordered two other buildings from this company, and the quality and construction have been good.

Due to lightening storms, they are getting a late start, but assured me the build will be done by tomorrow.

IMG_3039.jpeg

Last edited:
I am curious to see it when it is done. A one day building, even a simple one is fast.

Is that roll on top the wall steel? Or is that a roll-up door?

Is that roll on top the wall steel? Or is that a roll-up door?
There are three roll up doors that you can see on the trailer-- a 12x12, a 10x10 and an 8x8, plus a regular door. The walls and roof are between the trailer frame. I take it they have loaded these a time or two. Here is the project 45 minutes after the first picture. This is a two man crew and they tell me they will be done tomorrow around noon (unless another lightening storm comes through).
IMG_3042.jpeg

I believe them. My wife and I are building my parents a 30x40 post frame kit from Menards. Somebody else poured the slab, but even with having to keep an eye on a toddler we can put it up in 4-5 days tops.

Reactions: 356
After 3 1/2 hours, progress is looking good despite some setbacks. We had a rain while I was gone that settled the lower left of the gravel base. That's on me, but it was clearly going to be an issue. The installers are having to cut each frame piece separately to ensure a good fit, and will have to do the same to each piece of siding. The extra labor is $300 and they had to take down some framing after it was put up. The good news is that it will not be a major setback for the project, but I am disappointed in my prep work. As the foreman said, "your tractor and trailer will not know the difference."

IMG_3044.jpeg

I had to get another load of gravel ($505) and additional "weed barrier" ($50) for the drain tile, so the cost to date is $22,960. That should be it for the project, which includes the 30'x50' barn, site prep (6" gravel, forms, French drains, 18' gate).
With the added labor, the new "cost" is $23,260. I anticipate needing another load of gravel for the access road, but will still be 5% under the target cost of $25,000.

Six hours into the build.

2BA83D1C-82DC-4A7C-8BBF-AE21BE20D830.jpeg

Another round of thunderstorms came this morning between 6 and 9 delayed early morning work, but the team started promptly when the storm had passed. Here is the 10:45 am picture. Another thunderstorm came at 11:00 am, and is just now ending. The team is back at work, and is still hoping to finish today.

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 12.40.00 PM.png

12:45 Work is resuming...the walls on the four sides are up...the roof and roll up doors are next.

3:30 pm, the Affordable Barn Build project is done. Considering the thunderstorms that delayed the project several hours, I would estimate it took the team 12 hours to do the build. Total cost was 5% under the target of $25K including site prep with French drains, installation and barn options (three roller doors and a traditional door).

Some take-homes:
I could have done a better job of site prep, but all in all, it came out OK. I will add some additional gravel by the side and back doors later.

I like that the 12'x12' door has a pull-chain opener. The 10'x10' and 8'x8' are traditional with pull handles, meaning I'll need to use a push/pull stick to fully open.

That ends build saga of the Affordable Barn. Now I will begin preparing it for use, which will include the "goat pen", additional gravel work and installation of the solar system for charging batteries and basic lights.

IMG_3059.jpeg

IMG_3056.jpeg

IMG_3058.jpeg

You are gonna get so much use out of that! Congrats!

Reactions: 356
Do you have any snow load data on a building like that shown. Not sure if it is suitable in all parts of the country. (??). Nice shed. I wish I had more doors like you do.

Do you have any snow load data on a building like that shown. Not sure if it is suitable in all parts of the country. (??). Nice shed. I wish I had more doors like you do.
That was my question as well. Not sure it would work up here in the frozen tundra.

Yes, this is the engineered version for winds up to 140 and snow to 50 PSF. While we do not get Minnesota winters, we do get snow and ice storms. Given our county requires permits.

Having the front and rear doors is almost non-negotiable with me, as I always seem to have something needing in or out at the wrong end. The side roller door is for my wife’s use.