New Barn Build

Did the blown Insulation in the attic yesterday.
Took a pic right as they were finishing up showing the depth of it, they said in was going to be 16" it looked more like two feet but that is fine by me.
You can see the plastic barrier that was put up on the ceiling before the sheeting was installed. I am also going to glue some batting a couple thick on the backside of the trap door to insulate it too.
My wife was/is wanting to use the attic for storage? I told her to poke her head up there and take a look at that idea...she said "all we need to do is put some boards down", I don't understand female thinking sometimes.

dAkSLOm.jpg

nsJfQgo.jpg

This one was an unintentional win for the wife, the propane tank placement. It just made more sense to put it here than on the road side with using it for the house too, less hassle running gas line over all the other stuff. Well head is right under the water hydrant right side front of propane tank with water line going into building to left 4' deep. To the left of hydrant is a good stub for house water tie-in.
ldUNjTE.jpg

Showing how all the venting and hook ups on back side of barn turned out. Will be burying the drops from spouting and tying into storm water tile along with the floor drains stub, stub for septic is also going to get hooked into it's own system late next month or early May when the tank and leech bed go in over by the woods.
AiWnQ3O.jpg

Next will be pouring a sidewalk to the side door.

Got the side walk all in, which will make it much nicer on rainy days. And while we had concrete there added two 48"X5" heavy duty bollards to the outside corners of the overhead door frame, painted them black and filled with crete. As I earlier posted I backed into the left corner a couple months ago, then the framer hit exact same spot with his trailer then my finishing guy bumped the right side...should have put the bollards in when we poured the entrance skirt last fall, would have saved me a bunch of greif from my lovely wife.

mKmGvvM.jpg

NStrE9u.jpg

Also have the loft floor in now

wr3SJ4I.jpg

JwKJI1d.jpg

And they started on putting the septic system in yesterday

hnIGhzb.jpg

GdLjhB4.jpg

Have kitchen and bathroom drywalled mudded/primed/painted..putting in bathroom-kitchen-dining room floors, cabinets and dishwasher in kitchen, set toilet and vanity then have the plumbers back in to hook everything up by the end of next week.

Have the floor done in bathroom/kitchen/dining room and most of the cabinets set.

Kitchen as of last night.
6D6F6567-159A-4256-AED4-B88B38D6C027.jpeg
35E09C0D-942D-4BB8-9DCE-2D20FBE4CC91.jpeg

Plumbers are finishing up the final plumbing hook ups this morning and septic contractor will be through with the leach bed today too, so the septic is completely done.

We put our house up for sale Tuesday morning showed it Tuesday afternoon and got a full offer on it from the first people through it. We are to close on the 13th of next month.
So next weekend we should start moving some stuff from the house out to the apartment.

its nice to see floors that don't have caulk or filler on the trim side. I can't tell you the number of remodels I've walked through and the new floors are crap!

I like the new click together vinyl flooring at least the stuff I’ve used has been a very good product. We had a couple pieces of it soaking in a bottle of water in my office for literally months and it showed zero swelling or degradation that’s pretty good stuff.

I like the new click together vinyl flooring at least the stuff I’ve used has been a very good product. We had a couple pieces of it soaking in a bottle of water in my office for literally months and it showed zero swelling or degradation that’s pretty good stuff.
That is exactly why I haven't installed any in my kitchen, I did a huge floor that sprawled the kitchen, dining room, living room and a half bath and everywhere water was spilled it bubbled up at the seams. I do have a big dog so him skidding across the floor concerned me with his nails.

What product do you use? I know they have vinyl plank flooring now so I was leaning towards that, but it was a new product so I wanted to see how it held up before buying in.

Have the floor done in bathroom/kitchen/dining room and most of the cabinets set.

Kitchen as of last night.
View attachment 52869
View attachment 52870

Plumbers are finishing up the final plumbing hook ups this morning and septic contractor will be through with the leach bed today too, so the septic is completely done.

We put our house up for sale Tuesday morning showed it Tuesday afternoon and got a full offer on it from the first people through it. We are to close on the 13th of next month.
So next weekend we should start moving some stuff from the house out to the apartment.
Man everything looks great!

I think what we used was Lifeproof 6mil thick available at Home Depot my sister used a much thinner product from Menards that was crap buy premium and cry once.

We used the StainMaster vinyl flooring, 100% waterproof/wear resistant/scratch resistant, we put in close to 1500 sq ft total including the loft. It's kind of a mid range flooring, I'm sure my wife will want something way better for in the house....for me it is all about the price.

I'm sure my wife will want something way better for in the house....for me it is all about the price.
Are you building a NEW house (that your wife would want better flooring in??) This is just your "barn" / hide-out , right??

Are you building a NEW house (that your wife would want better flooring in??) This is just your "barn" / hide-out , right??
Yes.

We actually just moved into the barn this past Sunday. Plan is to live in it a year or two then build our "forever" house that will sit in between barn and woods.
The past few weeks of packing up and moving has been about the most overwhelming and stressful thing I've been through in a long time. I HATE MOVING! And I don't like change, we had lived in our old house for 21 years, it was different for me leaving it. A couple years ago my plan was to just stay there and cruze into retirement...but plans change and opportunity knocked, so we started on this adventure.

Right now the barn is stacked full of our stuff, it will take a month or so for us to unpack, my wife is loving it.. I can't believe I intentionally put myself through this. We (me) had sooo much stuff that we ended up selling/giving away/throwing away so many good things...wife called me a "hoarder" over and over, she is probably correct.
Every night we have had deer in the yard and along the edge of the woods, it is pretty cool just having them peacfully eating clover fifty yards away. About dusk we have been feeding the fish off the dock and that is very relaxing, they are fun to watch too. It will take a little getting used to living in the country again, I am looking forward to just working on various projects around the place.

So far living in the barn has been more like living in a hunting camp, with the decor and how it is built. We did get our new furniture delivered a couple days ago but are still waiting a couple weeks to get the WiFi hooked up.
So we are going to settle in, shop our house plans and pick a contractor and wait for interest rates to go down while we bank money up for the next build.

Yes.

We actually just moved into the barn this past Sunday. Plan is to live in it a year or two then build our "forever" house that will sit in between barn and woods.
The past few weeks of packing up and moving has been about the most overwhelming and stressful thing I've been through in a long time. I HATE MOVING! And I don't like change, we had lived in our old house for 21 years, it was different for me leaving it. A couple years ago my plan was to just stay there and cruze into retirement...but plans change and opportunity knocked, so we started on this adventure.

Right now the barn is stacked full of our stuff, it will take a month or so for us to unpack, my wife is loving it.. I can't believe I intentionally put myself through this. We (me) had sooo much stuff that we ended up selling/giving away/throwing away so many good things...wife called me a "hoarder" over and over, she is probably correct.
Every night we have had deer in the yard and along the edge of the woods, it is pretty cool just having them peacfully eating clover fifty yards away. About dusk we have been feeding the fish off the dock and that is very relaxing, they are fun to watch too. It will take a little getting used to living in the country again, I am looking forward to just working on various projects around the place.

So far living in the barn has been more like living in a hunting camp, with the decor and how it is built. We did get our new furniture delivered a couple days ago but are still waiting a couple weeks to get the WiFi hooked up.
So we are going to settle in, shop our house plans and pick a contractor and wait for interest rates to go down while we bank money up for the next build.
Be careful. We have been in our 2 year shouse for 8 years now. 😂 That no rent/mortgage thing is reeeeaaaaallllly nice. 😊

Be careful. We have been in our 2 year shouse for 8 years now. 😂 That no rent/mortgage thing is reeeeaaaaallllly nice. 😊

I know! It feels good having the money from the house in the bank and saving our paychecks now. We figured up our expenses the other day and it came to about $800 a month, if wife would be happy just staying in the apartment I would retire today!
Then we could just finish up the inside a little nicer right now and not worry about a thing except babysitting grandkids and vacationing.

I know! It feels good having the money from the house in the bank and saving our paychecks now. We figured up our expenses the other day and it came to about $800 a month, if wife would be happy just staying in the apartment I would retire today!
Then we could just finish up the inside a little nicer right now and not worry about a thing except babysitting grandkids and vacationing.
We estimated the mortgage on our forever home and have been making that payment to ourselves for those 8 years also. Have a good chunk to put down and have been paying ourselves the interest the whole time. We'll eventually build it, but will be in much better shape and the future mortgage will be minimal.

I too built a shouse, with the intention of a 3 year house being built, I had just passed 2 years, but I dont forsee starting the build next spring. We have discussed a winter home in the US Virgin Islands, or even just leasing/renting a place there for winters, but I dont think we are ready for the jump yet. I think we will ride it out for a couple more years then make a decision.

While my main job is online work, and it can easily go with me anywhere, and so is my wifes, I would get bored in a couple weeks without side work, or messing around in the woods. I spend a lot of my winter, spring, and fall either hunting, planting for hunting, or preparing firewood, if I was stuck on an island with nothing to do, I would go insane.

We estimated the mortgage on our forever home and have been making that payment to ourselves for those 8 years also. Have a good chunk to put down and have been paying ourselves the interest the whole time. We'll eventually build it, but will be in much better shape and the future mortgage will be minimal.
That is a very good plan!

Our goal on the house build is to put more than half down and try and just pay it off within five years. Told the wife her whole paycheck can go towards house payment, so that is the budget on the difference. We need to find a builder so we know approximately where we are going to be at on cost, we will be able to tie into the well and septic from the barn. Had an architect design and draw up some pretty good plans to shop around in the next few months.
I'm going to be retiring in a few years regardless, my wife wants to work another ten. I'm not as excited about building a new house as the wife is...but I have to keep her happy.