New Barn Build

Got the insulation finished and all the air baffles installed for attic along with fiberglass batting on headers. Should be around R-22 .
We are going to finish the ceiling in the barn with corrigated metal panels then blow in cellulose insulation in attic 16" deep should be around an R-49 rating.

0DhHSMc.jpg

F093FgE.jpg

lr3BbbA.jpg

This has sure been a process getting contractors and permits all lined up...a royal PIA! At least we will have the electric, well and septic ready and done with tie-ins ahead of time when we go to build the house next year or year after...I guess it will all depend on price of lumber/economy, I'm perfectly fine just living in a barn with only utilities and taxes to worry about. Hopefully I can convince the wife of that too...but doubtful!
Next couple months will be off and on busy...I'll add pics as different barn projects are worked on.

No concrete floor but insulation what is the intended purpose of this building?

No concrete floor but insulation what is the intended purpose of this building?
If you read back one page you will see.

Got the plumbing all in this week.
Should be pouring the concrete next week.
Also trenched in the tile for electric line from pole to barn, will be putting meter base on tomorrow morning and hanging breaker box in barn. Will start stringing wire and putting outlets up in next couple weeks.

72CFB2B9-0119-4D6B-8DD4-4CB77610E029.jpeg
26B42BCE-88EC-4B9A-8115-970F0986B5EE.jpeg
0E4E0098-00BD-4B5B-AE18-FC19B9FE723B.jpeg812CAABD-39C7-4D3F-B299-47429A254354.jpeg
B3061372-4B2B-47D1-8557-05C9FA6E02FB.jpeg
8ACD3F2D-95A9-4C5C-A0AA-008B16CE565B.jpeg

0D406565-751A-4101-BB04-29EC685AD0D7.jpeg1E9B1A29-7467-4A3B-86EA-BBF8983579A0.jpeg8606007B-1848-43A4-B12C-DB4BDCEAFA51.jpeg

We have the well in now!
Also have a lot of the concrete prep done, working on putting down plastic barrier and wiring up rebar today hopefully pouring tomorrow or Monday.

I have been meaning to ask, why did you wait to do the plumbing/electrical/build/etc... prior to pouring the concrete?

I have been meaning to ask, why did you wait to do the plumbing/electrical/build/etc... prior to pouring the concrete?
If you are asking why didn’t we pour floor before building the barn it is just how it worked out, wasn’t sure how soon we were going to finish the inside or how far we were going to go with it with the economy the way it was. This project has been a lot of out of pocket expense just using savings so far.
When barn went up option 1 was use it for storage for a couple years and weren’t 100% sure if we were going to go ahead with the studio apartment at the time either.
Going to need the well and septic in anyway when and if we build the house.

Basic plumbing had to go in before the floor was poured, most of it went in over 3’ deep to protect from any potential winter frost issues
Electric has been a do as we can/need process, the breaker box is live and a few of the outlets are so far. As soon as floor is finished can use a scissor lift and get the lights and door opener wired, then as soon as apartment is framed can wire that up.

Forgot to mention hit nice clean water at 82’ with 25 pounds of pressure. Will get the pump and pressure tank in as soon as concrete is finished.

Looks great,what is the 4inch black plastic for?

Looks great,what is the 4inch black plastic for?

Running the water line from well to the pressure tank through it.

That area will be a 4’X10’ utility closet with pressure tank/water softener/water heater/washer and dryer in it.

Gotcha. Didn't realize the apartment was questionable.

Gotcha. Didn't realize the apartment was questionable.

This year everything has been questionable.

Two years ago it seemed like I had everything planned out, house paid off didn’t owe anyone anything, 401K was great…was set to retire in a couple years and coast right along just traveling the world and enjoying retirement.

Then opportunity knocked and I had the chance to buy this extension on our property and we started dreaming up potential plans.
Pond
Pole barn
New house
Which would have been great if I was thirty years old instead of fifty eight!
It seems strange to be raiding our savings developing this property living in a barn for a year or two then building a half million dollar house this late in my career.
When it is all said and done we should have a really nice place but we have been hesitant about every step of the way especially with everything going on with the current economy.
I don’t mind having some debt this late in life my retirement account/finances are still going to be OK and we will be able to travel like planned but the stress of all this has been interesting at the least.
Still plan on retirement in a few years but leaving the option open to work a couple extra now, I do enjoy my job and the wife has an OK job and isn’t planning on retiring for another ten years she is almost five years younger than me.

So long story short at this point we are so far along and invested in this that it’s full steam ahead now!

BFB09A7F-F13B-446A-9A7C-52051C9C1A7F.jpeg62683A17-9AC4-4EF5-903D-CB3A48FE1941.jpeg47A651EA-F6CB-40B2-98F8-3AC5AB296B8D.jpeg

Almost had a “snag” with the wife over where the meter was going to go on the barn. She wanted it on the south side of barn so it couldn’t be seen from the road..about 140’ from the pole and crossing the septic line trench drain tile and the two tile from drops on spouting and water line besides curving around the back side of building and the added cost.
Or just run it fifty feet to the center of barn facing the road…and that is what I did. She lost her shit saying I ruined the “aesthetics “ of look from the road? Told her I don’t give a crap what anyone thinks that is driving by, we can plant a bush…the propane tank will block the view of it anyway. She said PROPANE TANK!
Pfffft…I had to talk her down.

Anyway, pics of how the electric is going so far.

My boys both thought all the activity going on would spook deer off the property…it’s been the opposite.
Tracks two feet behind the barn, they are curious about everything we have done. Just wait till the wife sees how the cute deer treat her flowers around the new house!

View attachment 46223View attachment 46224View attachment 46225

Almost had a “snag” with the wife over where the meter was going to go on the barn. She wanted it on the south side of barn so it couldn’t be seen from the road..about 140’ from the pole and crossing the septic line trench drain tile and the two tile from drops on spouting and water line besides curving around the back side of building and the added cost.
Or just run it fifty feet to the center of barn facing the road…and that is what I did. She lost her shit saying I ruined the “aesthetics “ of look from the road? Told her I don’t give a crap what anyone thinks that is driving by, we can plant a bush…the propane tank will block the view of it anyway. She said PROPANE TANK!
Pfffft…I had to talk her down.

Anyway, pics of how the electric is going so far.

My boys both thought all the activity going on would spook deer off the property…it’s been the opposite.
Tracks two feet behind the barn, they are curious about everything we have done. Just wait till the wife sees how the cute deer treat her flowers around the new house!

I have to giggle on the propane tank comment. My wife and built our home in 2008. Custom build so a lot of decisions. The biggest argument we had was where to put the propane tank…I lost but it has since been moved to where I had proposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12BA7D4F-C417-4BF2-8884-D73B91C34460.jpegA6896CF4-41FD-47AF-BFE6-50A218AFFA91.jpegDD5CA410-FF98-4BFD-BA51-21479F5E3295.jpeg628F0455-4BB1-477B-A1EB-204F3794CC1B.jpeg

Live right now, kind of showing the process.

B90ACD36-6A9E-46E7-80A8-F240753AD49A.jpeg

Just finishing up now, cut it tomorrow then prep the exterior approach fishtail out from the overhead door it will be 16’X12’ and pour it early next week.

Do you plan to wet cure it? I usually run a sprinkler on new concrete for several days to keep it hydrated for proper curing.

Do you plan to wet cure it? I usually run a sprinkler on new concrete for several days to keep it hydrated for proper curing.
No, I left that all up to the contractor that was in charge of this stage of project. I helped with what I could but mostly stayed out of their way.

B4B04CFC-D660-4A32-ACE0-B9DBC98F3781.jpeg

Concrete dry enough to walk on and cut this morning.
We have a 1.5” drop from edge of wall to floor drain.