New Barn Build

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
We will be putting a pole barn up at the Little Woods within the next month.
It will be 48'X30' sixteen foot at the eve.

This is how it will sit on the property with big door facing the pond.
3L9ZQEa.jpg

First thing I did was have a few loads of stone brought in for a construction driveway forty yards long and thirty feet wide. Needed to be big enough for a semi to park and still be able to offload trusses.
jlSKXYa.jpg

The barn will sit 75' from center of road 20' off my neighbor to the east...that is as close as the inspector that wrote me my permit would let me put it.
We put stone in the "footprint" of where the barn will sit so it wont be a dirty muddy mess putting up.
RlmMeUj.jpg

Putting in a temporary electric pole in next week with breaker box and outlets for the build. will attach to barn and run electric in barn this summer.
We wanted the barn in this location as a wind break and a road screen for the house we will be building next year.
The first phase of the barn build will be to frame it, house wrap it then put siding and roof on. the 14'X10 overhead door was back ordered due to covid and should be here early next month.

Phase two will be to concrete the floor and spray insulate the walls, put in well and septic.

Phase three will be to put a 16'X30' studio apartment in the east end of building, hopefully by this fall sometime.

I will be adding pics as we go.

Looks good,are they making you put a foundation at least around living quarters?You want the screenings or AB3 there for a base anyway,Then usually they add about 30-40 ton on top of screenings before pouring slab.Yours looks pretty flat make sure you are high enough for good drainage and you have your conduits in floor.How are your posts set?

Looks good,are they making you put a foundation at least around living quarters?You want the screenings or AB3 there for a base anyway,Then usually they add about 30-40 ton on top of screenings before pouring slab.Yours looks pretty flat make sure you are high enough for good drainage and you have your conduits in floor.How are your posts set?

The build site is very flat, the guy that dug the pond last summer graded it all off for us before he left. The building lot is on highest part of property, we raised that whole end of field 4' last year with dirt from pond. Posts will be concreted in. Last summer we also put in a tile along property line to east then it turns and runs under waterway between pond and woods and the around back side of pond to a catch basin along road.

How are costs looking? I'm wondering if it has come down from the past two years.

I know around me costs are high. I am planning on building a small shed this summer as well, and steel is high, and so is lumber. Construction crews are bidding high as well, because they are backed up, because of labor shortage, they cant get people who will actually work.

I know around me costs are high. I am planning on building a small shed this summer as well, and steel is high, and so is lumber. Construction crews are bidding high as well, because they are backed up, because of labor shortage, they cant get people who will actually work.
How to collapse a thriving economy and guarantee inflation? Give a significant portion of the labor force almost as much (or more) than they can make going to work.

This Covid crap has done more damage then we actually realize. All the free Covid money, has wrecked a generation, and has made them lazy, and think they deserve more free money, rather then expect they should actually work for it.

I also have a daughter that graduated high school last spring, and is in her first year of college, I tell you the laziness and entitlement she has, and the complaints she has about the professors to actually have the nerve to assign homework, and make them accountable by giving them tests, and quizes. The kids got spoiled by sitting on their butts at home the last couple of years, and not having to actually do homework, and having test scores actually account for their grades. SHe has also said that when students dont want to go to class, or wants a break, they just claim they have Covid, and go home for a couple weeks.

Building costs are stupid high right now. Lumber prices may be at the highest yet in my area, I was able to lock in the barn build price a few months ago when it wasn’t quite as bad.

Housing is insane high right now with everything selling way above what I would consider fair market value. I’m hoping we can sell our house in town on this over bloated market before the bubble pops.
Plan is to sell high, live in the barn for awhile then build new house after market crashes?
We will see, it’s all about the timing I’m not sure I can get everything in place soon enough.

I have a temporary pole setup if you need it...

I have a temporary pole setup if you need it...

Wish I would have known a few days ago.. just put one together.
Thanks for the offer.

2B81CE23-6C7E-4268-A51D-F7846D2FEF11.jpeg

The studio apartment concept, basically just one room.

I want to build also. Just holding on now waiting for things to settle. I don’t see the housing/ building going on like this with $100 fill ups and $10 chickens. But what do I know :)

Fed plans 5-6 rate hikes and prime lending rate already going up. Current Fed rate is 0.50 % with plan to raise to 1.9% end of this year, and to 2.75% end of 2023. Mortgage rates will see significant increases which will cool the market down. Supply chain problem, labor shortages, and material shortages are expected for next 18 months at least. Rising inflation and cost of oil will not help.

Just took us 2 years to get a 2.5 car garage built. Paid more for it than my first house.

Crazy to say, but now may be a good time to build if you can lock in rates and prices.

It isn’t all about the cost right now. I have been running into not being able to get some stuff either. I needed a 10x8 garage door, and a smaller ATV door, it went from 3-6 months out, to another 6 months, now the company went out of business, so time to start over. I went to the local lumber yard to get 12 foot green treated 6x6’s and they were $140 each. I passed. I looked them up at Menards, they listed them for $77, I went there and they had about 6 in stock, and they were cracked, and warped. I asked if they had more, or when they were getting more, they said they are on back order, so they could show up in a week, or 3 months. I am sure I can find them somewhere, but for now, I need to wait until the ground thaws anyhow.

78828F57-9458-4240-AA60-43801CFAB99E.jpeg

The electric company put up a new pole and transformer for me today, I have to pay to have the electric run 800 yards down the road to us…that is a kick in the nuts expense. Every single pole all the way down the road.

I had one of the electricians at work put a temporary construction pole together for me and I put it up tonight and the utility company hooked the power up.

Barn should be going up in next couple weeks.

Last edited:
Getting a late snow storm today...figures the day the build starts!

The builders got the posts all in and concreted, just waiting for it to set up. So tomorrow they will be back at it.
My son in law went by and took a couple pics for me since I am stuck at work...I'll go by tonight and get a pic from a little further back so I can show more than half the building.

GQTIbks.jpg

tVdOtjH.jpg

This is when the fun begins when there are stacks of materials and workers on the ground!

View attachment 42394

The electric company put up a new pole and transformer for me today, I have to pay to have the electric run 800 yards down the road to us…that is a kick in the nuts expense. Every single pole all the way down the road.

I had one of the electricians at work put a temporary construction pole together for me and I put it up tonight and the utility company hooked the power up.

Barn should be going up in next couple weeks.
Curious how much did a 800 yard electrical run cost? My property is about the same distance from power. Also did you compare poles vs underground and was it a big difference. Did you think about going solar with generator?