An affordable barn made with two containers

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
I have a home contractor on the way into my deer land. He must be building this for his own needs. I saw one of these on the web the other day too.....so it looks like this idea is gaining some traction. Basically.....level out ground for two containers spaced about 16 feet apart and build a roof between them. Add end walls for a door.....and bingo.....lots of storage space for low investment. Might be a good solution for some guys. I can get more details if someone has an interest.
tempImagefvVYUg.jpg

Instantly sub’d the thread.

Have seen them and can’t wait to see how it turns out for you. Adding living quarters to a portion? What did you set as your total budget?

I almost went that route several yrs ago but for the money spent figured a real shed was better. Still considering doing a lean-to that way.

Maybe the property tax man doesn’t hit them is why they go that route?? Idk doesn’t really seem super cost effective but maybe they can get containers a good bit cheaper locally than I can. Also the floors rot out if not elevated 6”-12” to allow good air flow under them we use them at work as fast storage buildings and experience tells me they need elevated a bit.

Last edited:
Instantly sub’d the thread.

Have seen them and can’t wait to see how it turns out for you. Adding living quarters to a portion? What did you set as your total budget?
I'm not doing one of these.....just saw one near my property. Seems like an affordable way to get some secure storage and extra space. I have no details or other info to share.

I did that except I ended up with a metal carport canopy and put that between the containers.By the way secure the canopy well or they can blow out.You would think that the containers would be real secure but with the cordless tools they are no more resistant to angle grinders than about anything else.

I can’t imagine it would be cheaper, at least for what I have seen shopping containers going for around me. I had looked into a couple shipping containers a couple years ago, rather then building a lean to, and I could have built a Menards shed for cheaper then the containers.

Neighbor down the road had one. His roof covered both containers. He took it out this year and built a pole barn. It was an eyesore as one container was green and the other red. The idea is good., especially for remote properties.

Maybe the property tax man doesn’t hit them is why they go that route?? Idk doesn’t really seem super cost effective but maybe they can get containers a good bit cheaper locally than I can. Also the floors rot out if not elevated 6”-12” to allow good air flow under them we use them at work as fast storage buildings and experience tells me they need elevated a bit.

In Wisconsin, anything over 10' x 10' can be taxed. The county just looks at roof square footage regardless on building condition.

We used a couple containers to store 4-wheers, deer stands, grain bags, etc. on a remote property. One issue we did not think of - those things sweat! A lot! Caused a lot of mold and mildew on the grain, rubber and fabric items stored in the container. It was still a problem with 4" vents installed in the 4-corners. Perhaps a roof covering the entire container would diminish the sweating, but we eventually installed conventional buildings.

Wow- learned a few things fast.

Was considering getting a couple- one to store quads, tools, seed, etc and the other to build out as a place to stay. Damn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow- learned a few things fast.

Was considering getting a couple- one to store quads, tools, seed, etc and the other to build out as a place to stay. Damn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you built one (or both) out with proper insulation, that would probably solve the sweating. I've seen them used for portable office trailers, so someone has figured out how much insulation will do the trick????

If you built one (or both) out with proper insulation, that would probably solve the sweating. I've seen them used for portable office trailers, so someone has figured out how much insulation will do the trick????
There are lots of ventilation and other modifications on YouTube. Google is your friend.

Mine doesn't sweat at all,I just took a cordless angle grinder and cut a of hole that my foundation vent covers would cover and screwed them on

I have a hard time seeing how that's cheaper than a simple pole barn. A lot less user friendly when done as well.

In Wisconsin, anything over 10' x 10' can be taxed. The county just looks at roof square footage regardless on building condition.
Even on non permanent structure such as a shipping container that can be moved at any time?? Now if the thing has had a roof spanning between two of them or maybe plumbing or electric ran to it I could see the argument it’s a permanent structure and could fall under property taxes but that’s pretty scetchy.

A shipping container would be a solid, low cost option to store stuff so you don't have to haul stuff back and forth to a hunting property.

Having a bunch of those shipping containers with a roof over them might be functional, but I think they would decrease the property value. You might save some money going that route, but in the long run I think it would be better to hold off and build a standard garage or shed that would increase the property value.

If anyone is looking for starter options on buildings, I'm pretty proud of my little shack. It's a pre-built storage shed (like the ones you see lined up along the highway for sale) but upgraded with all the fancies. It's 16x40 on the outside and I cut it in half on the inside so I've got mansion on one end, attached machine shop, power plant, butcher shop, tool shed, seed store, and storage on the other. If you're curious, it was per square foot $50 before propane and solar. That was all steel outside, 2" foam 360 degrees, upgraded to residential windows and doors. That was 2018, so I' wouldn't be shocked if it's $100 or more now.

Speaking of which, this marks year 5 on solar. Foggy owes me a triple lindy out of an ash tree into the pond I'm going to dig next month. This should get into ground water, so it's on for sure.

Anyway, if you're curious, here's the process of getting mine delivered, built out, and finally set up. I'd do this again in a heartbeat if the situation were the same. 4 days I was moved in and living.

Delivery

My buildout

Final look as it's set up. I have a flat earth map where that northern is/was hanging now.

I've been leaning the direction of 1 40' high cube container for tractor and implements that are currently sitting outside. I think the quote last year was near $8k delivered.

I'm not sure I could build a permanent structure where I'd want to put it near a river and I'm sure that would impact my taxes. Also doubt I could build much for $8k.