7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor

Not real sure yet. I just sited this one in yesterday at 40 yards. It stacked 110vmax’s. Aim point is nice but would prefer a low magnification scope like 2-6.
A Trijicon would be the ticket...AccuPoint or ACOG depending. Curious how it patterns out to 100+ yards.

A Trijicon would be the ticket...AccuPoint or ACOG depending. Curious how it patterns out to 100+ yards.
I have an ACOG on a 556 rifle. Thought about putting it on this one. Other rifle is driving tacs though so hate to pull it off. Buying another aint in the cards. Only reason i have one trijicon is b/c i bartered for it. They make really good stuff. My eyes like the chevron reticle much more than typical cross hairs

I have an ACOG on a 556 rifle. Thought about putting it on this one. Other rifle is driving tacs though so hate to pull it off. Buying another aint in the cards. Only reason i have one trijicon is b/c i bartered for it. They make really good stuff. My eyes like the chevron reticle much more than typical cross hairs
I’ve switched to buying Accupoints for all my hunting rigs going forward. Great, great hunting scopes. This is my Fierce in 6.5 with a 5-20x50 Trijicon resting on top.

Pics! I want pics from both of ya (Aaron too) of these builds. I love to see guns and if they involve some handiwork that is just that much better.
The 7.62x39 has no sights yet. The 223/556 has a 3x9 scope. I have about $400.00 in each one without sights and magazines.

Attachments

• FD8933A9-98A9-4EC1-A12E-8AD083138EA6.jpeg
    FD8933A9-98A9-4EC1-A12E-8AD083138EA6.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 23
Savage MSR-10 Long Range... not light or particularly easy to handle in the stand due to length but shoots like a laser beam. Scope's a Photon Sightmark LED IR Day / Night scope.

22791676_10214635602219210_961924876786565760_o.jpg

^^^^ I can see Florida deer coming out of the woods with their hooves up waving white flags !!! Grim Reaper for anything in front of that scope.

I want in on this action. FNAR 308 - Sub MOA with cheap Winchester 150 grain Power Points.

RtWtYcN.jpg

Last edited:
After much research I have decided to go with the 6.5 Creedmore. That is unless I win the Browning xbolt hell’s canyon .270 that the local bar is selling numbers for. I only bought 1 this time. $10 and 110 entries.

you won't regret the Creedmoor. I have killed deer out to 400 yards with this round. 140 Grain Berger VLD Hunting Bullet. It leaves a devastating exit wound.

Attachments

• IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    558 KB · Views: 37
If you load your own, the 7mm-08. It is more powerful, but hard to find ammo.

If you don't reload ammo, the Creedmore is the way to go. Tons of gresæat rifles and great ammo available.

One last follow up question. I’ve decided to go with a Nikon Monarch scope as I really like them even tho I get a discount with Vortex. I was originally planning on a 3x12 but I can get a deal on a 4x16 for the same price. Most of my shots aren’t far and the rifle would be used 80+% of the time for hunting that is why I thought 3x12. Would the 4x16 be too much scope? When in a tree stand in the woods I usually have the scope on 4 for closer shots and 3 when I’m walking. I’m thinking I wouldn’t miss the ability to go down to 3 all that much.

One last follow up question. I’ve decided to go with a Nikon Monarch scope as I really like them even tho I get a discount with Vortex. I was originally planning on a 3x12 but I can get a deal on a 4x16 for the same price. Most of my shots aren’t far and the rifle would be used 80+% of the time for hunting that is why I thought 3x12. Would the 4x16 be too much scope? When in a tree stand in the woods I usually have the scope on 4 for closer shots and 3 when I’m walking. I’m thinking I wouldn’t miss the ability to go down to 3 all that much.
You won’t ever know the difference between 3x and 4x. Are they both 40mm? I don’t think you can go wrong with the slightly higher mag should you ever need it. The 6.5 has a range that’ll justify the 16x power. The only other thing I would consider is weight of the scope...which I doubt is much of an issue in this case.

You won’t ever know the difference between 3x and 4x. Are they both 40mm? I don’t think you can go wrong with the slightly higher mag should you ever need it. The 6.5 has a range that’ll justify the 16x power. The only other thing I would consider is weight of the scope...which I doubt is much of an issue in this case.
They are both 42mm. The 4x16 is listed at 1.19 lbs.

The 3x12 is listed at 1.17 lbs

The 3x12 is listed at 1.17 lbs
If that’s the case I would buy whichever I believed had the highest quality glass and best warranty. I’m assuming in that price point Vortex wins in warranty...not sure on quality.

Northern Marinette county .... the choice gets real simple. Both are great whitetail rounds. If most of your shots are under 300 yds, 7mm-08. The larger diameter bullet gives a smidge better knockdown and exit wound. A .264 bullet gives you long range accuracy. If you really actually need and can shoot well at 400yds, then go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Modern long range hunting bullets make the differences in these cartridges barely noticeable to the shooting ability of 99% of hunters out there. The Creedmoor is still the sexy new kid on the block, 7mm-08 has a bit more flexibility in bullet sizes. Out west, go with the Creedmoor, northern Wisconsin, 7mm-08, Just my humble opinion. I would not mind owning either, or both. :emoji_wink:

Last edited:
4-16 power is good. I usually hunt with 3-9, and I never turn it lower than 4. However, I sometimes wish I had more magnification, especially in low light or moonlight.

There really is no such thing as too much scope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.5 Creed all the way. Ammo is getting easier to find.