A little shooting today

b116757

5 year old buck +
Time to get up and get moving this morning. A couple of my buddies want to use my 1000 yd rifle range today. Most of us shoot high power rifles at those distances I have one buddy completely ate up with black powder shooting he has been out twice using a 45-70 open sight rifle using black powder not smokeless. He does surprisingly well at 500 yds with it. Cleans between every shot it’s a lot of work just watching him shoot. I normally leave early on range days to get the camera system set up at the 1000yd target in place, a few wind flags out around the range and make sure the steel targets have fresh white paint on them so our hits are easy to see. For anyone who has not done shooting like this it’s a good bit of fun and nice way to spend a few hours on Saturday. I’ve been fooling with load development for new 300PRC I picked up early this year but haven’t shot much I’ll probably shoot it and one of my 6.5 Creedmoor rifles today.

Last edited:
CC0DC70F-AAA1-4D10-A69F-077AA5BDB4B2.jpeg

4” four shot group at 700 yds just a hair over half MOA three of the shots where 1/4 MOA second box of shells out of a Bergara Premier in 300PRC very pleased with that accuracy out of the box not even hand loaded ammo factory Hornady Match ammo.

Yea, it's a lot of fun. I love to shoot, and use to have a membership to a nice 1000 yd range. I like all kinds of long-range stuff. Love shooting 100+ with pistolas.

Good shooting. Any wind? Been thinking about a 300 PRC, but still not getting to shoot the 6.5 PRC enough. And with Hornady ELD-X or -M shooting as good as it does, hand loading has taken a back seat for a while.

F6D56F41-0A23-4D09-8801-ACE021E3993F.jpegWinds 5-10 variable. My buddy did very well today with his 45-70 iron sighted black powder loads at 1000 yds he hit a 48” plate about 5 in a row.
Three of his hits at 1000 yds

449B8D2B-1BC5-4102-8B02-32317C7F44F6.jpegMy benches are poured concrete tops.

8D120175-1338-4AFF-BF05-C80B4DDB63DF.jpegHear is the 1000 yd target two 48” square AR400 plates with a 12x20 IDPA hanging in the middle for when you really get things dialed in and are feeling a little froggy. A couple years ago we where shooting and I pulled out one of my purpose built AR-15’s and hit the IDPA first shot at 1000 yds. I should of sold all my guns that day and quit shooting entirely may never pull that shot off again on the first try. I should of quit while I was ahead.

Weather today was spectacular especially this afternoon about 65 degrees. Tomorrow building new fence setting H braces in concrete, and pulling a 1/4 mile of old fence. Maybe fire up the Cat 951 and fix a pond dam the cattle have cut a deep drain in at the end of the dam spillway now the water is about two feet lower than normal. Last fall I spent about 4 days pulling 4’ of muck buildup out of that pond. No rest for the wicked.