7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor

Peeps

5 year old buck +
Rifle season starts this Saturday but I’m already thinking about next year. My son has taken over my Tc 270 and I’ve been using some of my other “back up” rifles. I’ve decided to get myself a nice rifle this winter. I’m going to pull the trigger on a Browning x bolt hells canyon. I’m thinking either 7mm-08 or 6.5 creedmore. This would primarily be a deer rifle. Any thoughts are welcome.

Flip a coin both excellent cartridges and will do pretty much the same thing, especially for deer. I have both and have shot a bunch of deer with both. I grab the creedmoor when I head out the door these days. I like the mild recoil and accuracy and the particular rifle mine is chambered in, not because it is any better than a 7mm-08 for deer. Choose the one that appeals to you and don't look back.

I’d go 6.5 due to the wide variety of superior box ammo out there these days. Have heard really good things about the 143gr hornady eldx on elk size game.

I run 120 noslers ballistic hunter hand loads at just over 3k fps out of my Bergara 6.5.

Of course 7mm08 will do everything just as well:)

Don't have a 7mm-08 but picked up a Creedmoor last year and harvested 2 deer and 4 hogs with it thus far. Every shot has hit precisely where aimed. Haven't even noticed the recoil when firing.

One thing I've read is that the 6.5 seems to be inherently accurate in almost all rifles with a wide variety of box ammo. I have a savage 7mn-08 and it's been a chore trying to find a brand that gun will group tight.

I love my savage scout 7mm08. I bought both my sons savage 7mm08’s when they turned 12. But I would think an ar 15 in the 6.5 creedmore would be a fun gun to have. As far as ammo goes l haven’t looked for 6.5’s.

Both are great calibers for deer sized game and even elk inside 250 yards. I think I would let ammo costs and local availability drive at least some of my decision.

You can run a 6.5 grendal in the ar15 but ar10 is required for the creedmore
Wasn’t sure but an ar 10 would still be cool.

Rifle season starts this Saturday but I’m already thinking about next year. My son has taken over my Tc 270 and I’ve been using some of my other “back up” rifles. I’ve decided to get myself a nice rifle this winter. I’m going to pull the trigger on a Browning x bolt hells canyon. I’m thinking either 7mm-08 or 6.5 creedmore. This would primarily be a deer rifle. Any thoughts are welcome.
For what it’s worth, I own a .270, 7 mm mag, .308, 30-30 and this year picked up a 6.5 creedmoor. I love all of my guns and they’ve all killed their fair share. That being said, I love shooting the Creedmor. I can quite literally run 30-50 rounds through it with no shoulder pad and not even know I had been shooting. Because I love shooting it I find my accuracy much better with it. Unless it doesn’t kill deer well (which it will) it’s the gun I’ll be leaving the house with when I head to the whitetail woods 90% of the time.

For what it’s worth, I own a .270, 7 mm mag, .308, 30-30 and this year picked up a 6.5 creedmoor. I love all of my guns and they’ve all killed their fair share. That being said, I love shooting the Creedmor. I can quite literally run 30-50 rounds through it with no shoulder pad and not even know I had been shooting. Because I love shooting it I find my accuracy much better with it. Unless it doesn’t kill deer well (which it will) it’s the gun I’ll be leaving the house with when I head to the whitetail woods 90% of the time.
What brand of rifle did you buy? Bolt, auto?

Wasn’t sure but an ar 10 would still be cool.
If AR platform is a consideration the 6.5 Grendel is pretty slick! It uses the same lower receiver as 556 so can keep a rifle build very light! Do yourself a favor and sign up for palmetto state armory email list. They run some awesome Black Friday sales. I hunted with AR platform this past weekend and had a blast shooting doe’s! Had to make a follow up shot on one big nanny doe and was glad to have an AR in my hands! Pulled this Barnes bullet out of a big matures does front knee joint. Bullet entered behind last rib and exited the brisket before lodging in the front leg joint! Something beautiful about a perfectly expanded bullet! Thinking of making my wife a necklace for Christmas present:)
08E80899-2687-4ABB-B68F-59E7D8C89853.jpeg
2BD0C64D-2A5E-4185-A127-07C5A4DDD642.jpeg

If AR platform is a consideration the 6.5 Grendel is pretty slick! It uses the same lower receiver as 556 so can keep a rifle build very light! Do yourself a favor and sign up for palmetto state armory email list. They run some awesome Black Friday sales. I hunted with AR platform this past weekend and had a blast shooting doe’s! Had to make a follow up shot on one big nanny doe and was glad to have an AR in my hands! Pulled this Barnes bullet out of a big matures does front knee joint. Bullet entered behind last rib and exited the brisket before lodging in the front leg joint! Something beautiful about a perfectly expanded bullet! Thinking of making my wife a necklace for Christmas present:)
View attachment 21550
View attachment 21551
I have built 2 PSA guns and I get there email. I built a 7.62x39 and a 556/223. And helped my son build a 556/223. I have about $400 in to each build without sights and magazine. The 7.62x39 hasn’t even been shot yet, just built it a few weeks ago, I need a magazine for it yet. They are fun to build.

I have built 2 PSA guns and I get there email. I built a 7.62x39 and a 556/223. And helped my son build a 556/223. I have about $400 in to each build without sights and magazine. The 7.62x39 hasn’t even been shot yet, just built it a few weeks ago, I need a magazine for it yet. They are fun to build.
I just finished a 10.5” 300BO pistol build yesterday:)

I just finished a 10.5” 300BO pistol build yesterday:)
Pics! I want pics from both of ya (Aaron too) of these builds. I love to see guns and if they involve some handiwork that is just that much better.

Pics! I want pics from both of ya (Aaron too) of these builds. I love to see guns and if they involve some handiwork that is just that much better.
10.5” PSA 300BO upper
on PSA pistol lower with polished enhanced trigger.
Aim point m4
YHM phantom suppressor.
Can legally hunt with this during Mo’s alternative methods season :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
2217C917-995A-4760-A7B6-8213E99242FE.jpeg

:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10.5” PSA 300BO upper
on PSA pistol lower with polished enhanced trigger.
Aim point m4
YHM phantom suppressor.
Can legally hunt with this during Mo’s alternative methods season :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
View attachment 21560

:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
That’s a sweet rig. How far are you accurate with it? Crazy they are legal here in MO for “alternative methods”.

That’s a sweet rig. How far are you accurate with it? Crazy they are legal here in MO for “alternative methods”.
Not real sure yet. I just sited this one in yesterday at 40 yards. It stacked 110vmax’s. Aim point is nice but would prefer a low magnification scope like 2-6.