4010 field pea combo plot

Ben.MN/WI

5 year old buck +
Has anyone tried using an early planting of 4010 field peas to try to build up soil?

I planted a 3/4 acre plot in a mix of 4010 field peas and oats this April and I'm really happy with the results. This plot is sandy loam with an organic matter around 1%, so I decided to try to get something in really early to add as much organic matter before a late summer planting of something else. I planted 4010 field peas in the past and the deer didn't seem to like it much when they had other options but I thought it would work well to build the soil even if the deer didn't eat it. I'm seeing more browing pressure on the peas this year, but they're still getting extremely tall. They seemed to climb with the oats and the plot was waist high everywhere and some areas were pushing 5' tall. They must have gotten a little top heavy at that point and the wind flattened down some sections, but the growth is very impressive.

I'm thinking that in the future it might be a good idea to add something a little more sturdy than oats in the mix. I'm not sure how something like sunflowers or milo or sorghum would do planted that early though, so I thought I would see if anyone tried anything like that.

I planted sunflowers around May 7th this year and they are just flowering now. Peas planted at same time have big pods on them and are done growing. The pea/sunflower is a perfect combo in my opinion.

Sorghum also works great for support but as you mentioned planting to early will cause problems with germination of sorghum.

Sorghum needs at least 60 degree soil temp for proper germination. That would not be my first choice for early planting. Get a different variety of oat seed, one that has a good lodging score like Horsepower Oats!

Yeah, the soil temperature requirements of the more stocky plants made me wonder how they would do with an early planting date for the peas. Maybe I'll try a different variety of oats in one area next year and some sunflower and peas in the other area. I don't suppose you know any places around Rochester that carry that horsepower oat type?

I planted sunflowers around May 7th this year and they are just flowering now. Peas planted at same time have big pods on them and are done growing. The pea/sunflower is a perfect combo in my opinion.

Did you order special sunflower seeds or just use a bag of bird seed? I had pretty good luck with sunflowers last year that were leftover from a bag of bird seed. Now I'm thinking a mix with peas, sturdy oats and sunflowers might be the ticket.

Has anyone tried using an early planting of 4010 field peas to try to build up soil?

I planted a 3/4 acre plot in a mix of 4010 field peas and oats this April and I'm really happy with the results. This plot is sandy loam with an organic matter around 1%, so I decided to try to get something in really early to add as much organic matter before a late summer planting of something else. I planted 4010 field peas in the past and the deer didn't seem to like it much when they had other options but I thought it would work well to build the soil even if the deer didn't eat it. I'm seeing more browing pressure on the peas this year, but they're still getting extremely tall. They seemed to climb with the oats and the plot was waist high everywhere and some areas were pushing 5' tall. They must have gotten a little top heavy at that point and the wind flattened down some sections, but the growth is very impressive.

I'm thinking that in the future it might be a good idea to add something a little more sturdy than oats in the mix. I'm not sure how something like sunflowers or milo or sorghum would do planted that early though, so I thought I would see if anyone tried anything like that.
Gotta have pictures, or it didn't happen. :D

Yeah, the soil temperature requirements of the more stocky plants made me wonder how they would do with an early planting date for the peas. Maybe I'll try a different variety of oats in one area next year and some sunflower and peas in the other area. I don't suppose you know any places around Rochester that carry that horsepower oat type?

Werners seed in Dundas MN, Albert Lea seed House in Albert Lea.

Did you order special sunflower seeds or just use a bag of bird seed? I had pretty good luck with sunflowers last year that were leftover from a bag of bird seed. Now I'm thinking a mix with peas, sturdy oats and sunflowers might be the ticket.
I've always planted black oil (bird seed). I usually will get them from the same source cause some brands have a lot of trash in them. Try different brands till you find one that seems clean.

Werners seed in Dundas MN, Albert Lea seed House in Albert Lea.
Thanks, I've ordered from Albert Lea seed house in the past and I've been happy with their service.

Gotta have pictures, or it didn't happen. :D
When I was checking on that plot, I was thinking I should take pictures since I didn't think it would be possible to get that kind of growth on sandy ground. I'll have to get a few pics this weekend to prove I'm not making up stories.

Does the seed/grain on both get eaten by deer once they mature? Certain time of year they get hit hardest?

I planted a pea and oat combo in early June hoping they provide some summer browse and then mature with grain for the deer to eat in the late fall/early winter. We have seen deer eat grain off of standing oats before, seems like it could be decent feed as long as it doesn't get knocked over and buried under snow.

Sunflowers I don't plant for deer but the peas get browsed through summer and if they mature the deer will eat them in the fall. It's best to try them for yourself on a large plot and see how your deer respond. They may not even let them grow enough to matter.

My plan on my pea/sunflower plot this year is to let them mature and harden off then disk them up and drill rye into them. The timing should be perfect and I can hopefully utilize the free seed to have a nice green late summer/fall plot.
The same could be done with the pea/oat combo, let mature disk in then drill rye. Perfect fall plot.

Last edited:
Well I went out to take pictures of my oat/field pea combo plot to show off the record height and I learned that peas and oats aren't designed to grow that tall. The storm that blew through late last week knocked down most of the plot. The shorter areas that were mostly oats were still doing fine, but the areas that were really tall and dominated by the peas fell over. It appears that the peas are still growing even though they're laying on the ground. I'm going to give them a couple weeks for the peas to mature and harden off, then I'll disk the plot up and some lime, fertilizer and brassicas.

My brother took a pic of the pea and oat mix on last Saturday. I am thinking it will be a good fall turkey spot and probably next spring as well with any oat seed that is left. There is a camera on the edge of the plot, but the card probably won't be pulled for another month to check activity.

That looks good . I had good results with mine too. I planted mine in March, the farmer was right, that you can plant them as early as you can. I didn't seem to notice that much browse either, and I actually had decent size pods. I sprayed mine and planted rape right over the top and cultipacked in. It doesn't look like your oats have seed heads. When I sprayed mine they had heads. I hope they don't reseed, but I don't think it will be that bad if they do.

Wb I brush hogged some mature oats last summer and had a super thick field of tender oats come fall. We shot may does early off it. Turkeys and migrating geese were always out there

This was planting time
74D1444E-5608-43D7-9E75-62BDDD2CDA45.jpg

This was finished product I believe
BCB31A66-3FA4-487A-9DDD-F9C94390A8C6.jpg

The oats was initially a cover for alfalfa