39th Parallel Nursery - Lawrence, Kansas

Telemark

5 year old buck +
Found this nursery/orchard on facebook recently. I don't have any experience with their trees, but I am ordering a few this week. Maybe someone near it could check it out? The prices are low, and they guy I talked to there seems to be solid.

I had never heard of them. I looked at their website and below are my initial thoughts:

• On their apples they tell you which rootstock you will be getting. They use no noxious weeds (M7) and everything is either on M111 or B118. This alone puts them way ahead of Stark Brothers.
  • Prices look great.
  • Selection is not bad. It would be plenty good to get several trees to start with, and they have some good DR varieties listed. They even have Yates, which is a proven apple in many locations. However, as when ordering for any location, it's always good to do a little research and get a feeling for how you would expect any cultivar to work in your area.
  • They even have one old apple that they saved from an old homeplace and named themselves. I like this, because it tells me that at least one person there has a passion for old apples like many of us on this forum do. I've never seen anyone who had that kind of passion that was really a bad person. It enhances my feeling of initial trust.
  • Their pear selection is small, but okay for a beginner. Unlike apples, they don't tell the exact rootstock, but I bet they would if you asked them. They do give an indication of the percentage of ultimate size compared to standard. This is somewhat common with pears and lots of nurseries may not list specifically their pear rootstocks. However, as previously stated - I bet that they would provide that information if you asked. My guess is that it will the OHxF series, which is extremely common.
  • They are currently sold out of persimmons but have a good list of cultivars. I've never seen grafted persimmons priced this low.
I'm somewhat impressed with what I see. If I needed any trees, I would place a small order with them and give them a try. Keep in mind that I base this solely on what I see on the website. I didn't try to scan any social media for any feedback from former customers, etc....

Last edited:
If you select the pear tree from the drop down it will populate the rootstock. I ordered pears from WG and they couldn’t tell me what the rootstock was. I am sure it was just her that didn’t know and if I pushed the issue I could have gotten an answer.

It might be on WGs website but I didn’t see it as I browsed.

Haven’t used them yet but considering an order some day. They have flat rate shipping at almost $40. So guy would need to place a larger order to make it worth it. They are real active on FB. Saw they having a sale on Ashmeads Kernel for $8/tree. That’s one I’d like to add.

I turned a guy from work onto them an he placed a 12 tree order. 6 apples/6pears. Will let you guys know what they look like

1 hr from the house. May have to make a trip one day when I am bored.

Emailed the owner several times and was great to work with. They come highly recommended from the people on the fruit growers forum. I don't have trees from them yet but from what I've heard I trust they are great.

I planted all my Turkey Creek trees and felt I didn't have enough so I ordered 8 more from 39th Parallel, 4 apple and 4 pear and they arrived yesterday. This is the first time I have odered from them and I think I'll look at them again because the trees look really good and are a good price.

If you guys don’t stop............

His operation is about 10 miles down the road from my place. Good guy, quality stock, and the best prices for me (no shipping). I talked to him last week and I know he still had some grafted persimmons left.

If you guys don’t stop............
I only had 10 apple trees and 100 MG rhizomes to plant so I needed so more.

I forgot to update. The trees I got from him last year were great. Hopefully I can check on them this summer to see how the fared.