2016 WI Spring CDAC Meetings

Do hunters still get a public land antlerless tag(s), when they buy a buck tag?
The "free" tags were not really specific to public land, they were for Farmland Zones(public or private), last year they could not be used in any Forest Zones, whether it was on public or private ground.

hmmm. last year you had to declare the county and public/private for those tags at the time of purchase, or you could defer your choice for a small fee of course.
Right. I assume it's either a glitch with the system or will be figured out later. I'm not worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is the current info from the DNR website:

Notice about 2016 antlerless deer permits
A Farmland Zone antlerless deer carcass tag is included with the purchase of a license for hunting deer and will be available for selection in June once the carcass tag levels have been established. You may print this carcass tag from your DNR account on-line, get a printed copy at your local WDNR Service Center, or visit a license agent which will require a $2 processing fee. Bonus permits will go on sale starting August 15th.

bueller, you going to try to get a private land antlerless tag this year, or are you still in the "save a doe, let the herd grow" mode up in your area?

Here is the current info from the DNR website:

Notice about 2016 antlerless deer permits
A Farmland Zone antlerless deer carcass tag is included with the purchase of a license for hunting deer and will be available for selection in June once the carcass tag levels have been established. You may print this carcass tag from your DNR account on-line, get a printed copy at your local WDNR Service Center, or visit a license agent which will require a $2 processing fee. Bonus permits will go on sale starting August 15th.

So I take it that you will have to fill in what county you are hunting in at that time eh?

So I take it that you will have to fill in what county you are hunting in at that time eh?
Yes, you will have to select your county and land ownership preference at that time.

Abatement tags+ no worry of pushing shooter bucks nocturnal=fun from sept to Febuary!

So you don't have fun when buck hunting?

All the whiners that complained about EAB to their legislators and instigated the statewide "ban" on the use of EAB as a management tool because it was too "inconvenient" for them to have to kill an antlerless deer before they dropped the hammer on a buck are getting exactly what they deserve. Now they can sit back on their high dollar properties and leases and watch EVERY buck walk by no matter how many does they shoot. HAHAHAHAHAHA, serves them right.

All the whiners that complained about EAB to their legislators and instigated the statewide "ban" on the use of EAB as a management tool because it was too "inconvenient" for them to have to kill an antlerless deer before they dropped the hammer on a buck are getting exactly what they deserve. Now they can sit back on their high dollar properties and leases and watch EVERY buck walk by no matter how many does they shoot. HAHAHAHAHAHA, serves them right.

I suspect with no chance of shooting a buck the typical hunter will just not buy a license or hunt elsewhere and it will have the opposite effect. Then since there will likely be more older bucks the prevalence of CWD will be increased as proven in other parts of the state. All the while the trophy hunters will be praising god because their bucks won't get shot. Rinse and repeat next year. LOLOLOL Have fun with that.

Well, there is an awful lot of pressure on a man sitting on hundreds of acres of prime ground in a prime hunting county to shoot Da' Turdy Pointer, so I can see where there would be less pressure to produce said buck when it is illegal to kill one from the start. Less headache and worry about what the guy across the fence is doing or what he is shooting, so when your blood pressure isn't in the clouds worrying about what Elmer Fudd is shooting and less worry about producing Da' Turdy Point Buck to quell the small man syndrome of just shooting a deer that makes the average guy happy, I can see where that would make things more "fun" I guess.

Well, there is an awful lot of pressure on a man sitting on hundreds of acres of prime ground in a prime hunting county to shoot Da' Turdy Pointer, so I can see where there would be less pressure to produce said buck when it is illegal to kill one from the start. Less headache and worry about what the guy across the fence is doing or what he is shooting, so when your blood pressure isn't in the clouds worrying about what Elmer Fudd is shooting and less worry about producing Da' Turdy Point Buck to quell the small man syndrome of just shooting a deer that makes the average guy happy, I can see where that would make things more "fun" I guess.

Another example that too many people these days are hunting for the wrong reasons. If hunting is causing you worry then you are doing it wrong. If we have to ban shooting bucks for you to label your season as fun then you are hunting for the wrong reasons to start with.

bueller, you going to try to get a private land antlerless tag this year, or are you still in the "save a doe, let the herd grow" mode up in your area?
Our little party of 3 all had antlerless tags last year but nobody used them. Could have, especially during bow season, but we choose not too as our venison came from other sources ;). I will try to get an antlerless tag again this year. As far as using it, maybe. With no public land on our borders and low bow hunting pressure in the immediate we have a pretty decent doe population up until the gun opener. I don't think taking a doe or two per year off our properties is detrimental to our herd. Wish I could say the same for the public lands in the area and the private lands bordering them :(.

Makes sense. If you don't have much public around, you are likely in a pocket with a decent density that would allow for a minimal harvest of antlerless each year.

I'll get one just so I have one. First year I didn't use it, last year I did. If the opportunity for an early doe w/ the bow presents itself, ie. slam dunk shot w/in 20 yards I'll probably take it. I like to eat venison and have at least one deer per year. I spend too much time/money on this to not getting something for the efforts. It's been a few years now since I've gone meatless. The wolves in the area are the only reason I'd hesitate on taking a doe, knowing what those bastards are capable of if they hang around. The Juneau Co spike might be an option then. ;)
Agree 100%. Last year we had an abundance of yearling bucks running around but only one or two different family groups of doe. So I passed on numerous chip shots at doe and waited for one of the little bucks to present a shot, which he did.

EAB can be a great management tool but many people, not just the high dollar property owners, whined and complained about the way the DNR used it. It was essentially used to eradicate the deer herd. EAB, Zone T and Bonus Bucks did a number on the deer and people were pissed off.

EAB can be a great management tool but many people, not just the high dollar property owners, whined and complained about the way the DNR used it. It was essentially used to eradicate the deer herd. EAB, Zone T and Bonus Bucks did a number on the deer and people were pissed off.
I mostly agree with everything in your post g, and your preaching to the choir, I know first hand what T-Zone did to the herd in northern Juneau Co., but instead of asking the legislature for it to be totally removed from consideration, the hunters should have requested that the NRB oversee the overuse/abuse of EAB by the DNR. The NRB could have put some strict criteria for the use of EAB into place that would have kept the DNR from abusing it's usage in those instances.

I mostly agree with everything in your post g, and your preaching to the choir, I know first hand what T-Zone did to the herd in northern Juneau Co., but instead of asking the legislature for it to be totally removed from consideration, the hunters should have requested that the NRB oversee the overuse/abuse of EAB by the DNR. The NRB could have put some strict criteria for the use of EAB into place that would have kept the DNR from abusing it's usage in those instances.

I agree that they shouldn't of removed EAB from consideration. I just think at the time it was removed people were so mad at the overuse of it, and had zero trust that the DNR wouldn't abuse it again, that eliminating it was the only option to appease the masses.

In attending a standing room only meeting in Madison years ago, I can safely say the vast majority of people in that room hated EAB, and all that came with it, especially the public land hunters. I actually felt a little sorry for Keith Warnke at the end of that meeting. He certainly earned his pay that night.

That sucks too, because the hatred only stemmed from the blatant overuse that was being forced on guys in areas where it was not needed. The guys in the more high density "trophy oriented" areas really thought it wasn't so bad, as it allowed a few more bucks to get some age on them.

Question for those familiar with the Waupaca area? Would antlerless harvest increase if APR's were established? Maybe this whole thing is just a checkpoint on the way to APR's which would make all the TDM guys in the county happy and make it look to the DNR that the CDAC was actually trying to address the over population issue.

Question for those familiar with the Waupaca area? Would antlerless harvest increase if APR's were established? Maybe this whole thing is just a checkpoint on the way to APR's which would make all the TDM guys in the county happy and make it look to the DNR that the CDAC was actually trying to address the over population issue.
It could. Still a lot of meat hunters who shoot the first deer they see. If it's a buck, they shoot, no matter the size.
of course I do, I just don't need to shoot a buck.
A year without buck harvest will turn waupaca into the #1 trophy county the following year. Trust me, I've lived some of the best hunting in Iowa and Kansas, but waupaca could bypass those.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just reviewing some of the CDAC preliminary recommendations for different counties. I found this one a bit concerning. So all the DNR has to do is tell a CDAC that their population has increased by X amount based on the DNR's own "estimates" and the CDAC is quickly backed up against a wall? Looks like Waupaca wasn't the only county with an antlerless only season a real possibility in the near future.

We are attempting to maintain the deer population in Marquete County. Our deer herd increased by about 4,000 deer during the last year. The quota needed to maintain this higher herd is over 7,000. To get to the 2015 level we need to have a quota of 7,000 + 4,000 or 11,000. We are looking at as liberal of season framework as allowed EXCEPT that we want to continue having a buck season.