2016 WI Spring CDAC Meetings

Considering they have a small, verified pack living right to the east of Volk(VERY near your place) on Cty M near the Oak Ridge Park X-Country Ski Trails, it wouldn't surprise me if the "new" wolf was a male offspring of that pack looking to set up his own pack west of the airbase.

No, I have not seen any current pack info in quite a while myself. It was word of mouth discussion between my buddy who lives off of Hwy M and one of the local CO's over there, but I'm not sure which one. Basically, he told my buddy the DNR was fully aware of a small pack living in the surrounding woods. His "estimate" was 4 to 6 wolves. He talked to him sometime back around Xmas time.

Once you get very much further south of your place, the area turns a bit more towards open ag type land the nearer you get to the Interstate. Only thing is, there have been multiple wolf sightings further south on Hwy M already last fall, right across the street in the field from the Kennedy Park driveway entrance. From the reports I heard, it was a LARGE wolf too! :eek: Further east, closer to the lake, I could see them spreading more towards the south if they found it necessary to expand that direction to find enough food. Those condo owners over on Castle Rock won't be liking it, but then again most of them are probably morons who sided with the Federal judge who delisted them in the first place, so they deserve to have "Fluffy" carried off to feed the wolf pups. If wolves ever get into the bluffs and coulees of the Driftless Area southwest of I-90 look out, they could explode and I think it would be very hard to get them completely removed from that area due to the rough terrain and an overabundance of places to hide. There is already an established pack in the northern areas of Fort McCoy, so they are only miles from the blufflands over near Sparta as well.

Waupaca county voted for a 2016 antlerless only season. Super smart move for Cdac/Dnr pr not to mention license revenue.I called this 2 years ago when they raised antlerless tags to $12/$20. Go to unlimited $2 tags or let the cars mow them down. Sad on multiple levels.

An additional antlerless only season or make the regular season(gun & bow) antlerless only?

^^^^ It'll be interesting to see what the public says on that recommendation.

Maybe it falls in the middle with EAB.

gotta link?

Wow, glad I just bought some land outside waupaca county. My doe population got a lot better since I waged war, but it still needs work.
If we go only doe, I could easily wipe every doe off my property. I wouldn't have any regard for pressuring the land since I won't worry about trying to kill a buck. I know the does will relocate to my property, after I eliminate them.
My buddy has an absolute massive, like 200" typical on his place. Thing seriously was wr status last yeAr. No one killed that buck. Those guys are going to b livid if they can't shoot him.

I'm pleased with Marathon County CDAD recommendations. No public land doe tags. 6500 total doe tags with 3500 for purchase.

Here is the letter I wrote to the hunter representative.

Mr. Maguire,
I am a recreational land/cabin owner in far north eastern marathon county. I wanted to write to you about the prelim recommendations posted on the DNR website. I agree 100% with suggesting 0 public land anterless tags this year and would even suggest less private land anterless tags. We have a lot of bear up in our part of the county and now wolfs have been regularly confirmed by trail cams and sign. I am concerned about killing too many does when fawn recruitment and predatory forces at work here. Let’s not let Marathon County become like just a little farther north where deer are scarce. I wrote you because you represent my interests being the Hunt Conservation club for the CDAC.
One additional thing I would like to point out is I understand why the DNR went to county boundaries to separate the units now. However, Marathon county being the largest county in the state and also very diverse should not be one single unit. I understand releasing doe tags for the Ag part of the state. But up in my area the habitat is similar to big woods hunting of Langlade and Lincoln counties and less doe tags should be available there. There should be a way to separate the two. I urge you to suggest to break up Marathon county similar to several other counties that have broken up their county into two units to fall in line with the habitat rather than a manmade boundary. Thank you.

Juneau County CDAC is also recommending zero antlerless tags for public land in the forest zone. Unfortunately they have recommended to bump the private land tags up to 1000 from 825 last year.

Do hunters still get a public land antlerless tag(s), when they buy a buck tag?

only for use in farmland zones

I assume so. If your county has them available. I already purchased my license through the wild system and it did not ask me anything in regards to county or public or private. I assume that will occur after the permits levels are set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume so. If your county has them available. I already purchased my license through the wild system and it did not ask me anything in regards to county or public or private. I assume that will occur after the permits levels are set.

hmmm. last year you had to declare the county and public/private for those tags at the time of purchase, or you could defer your choice for a small fee of course.

hmmm. last year you had to declare the county and public/private for those tags at the time of purchase, or you could defer your choice for a small fee of course.
Right. I assume it's either a glitch with the system or will be figured out later. I'm not worried.

Amazing how the dnr still allows doe kills in the decimated north but would do a doe only in an overpopulated area for the year. My $320 in licenses and 2k being there in the local economy will vaporize.
Communicate your feelings to the Waupaca CDAC and have others do the same. There is a public comment period coming up in early April for this purpose. The whole thing could be a scare tactic to get Waupaca hunters to harvest more antlerless deer this season and in seasons to come.

This is the exact reason the sensible members of the CDAC in Buffalo Co decided to go with a "Decrease" designation right out of the gate, they knew this was on the horizon if they didn't decide to tackle the high density from the get go. Both Waupaca and Shawano Co's should have went "Decrease" last year and at least it would have "appeared" they were looking to do something to curb the overpopulation issues instead of going with a "Maintain" status which made it look like they all thought there was nothing wrong with overwintering 45+ dpsm, that p!$$3d off the DNR and NRB, and they came out and said that this would be the outcome if the hunters did not do enough to curb the population. With enough push back the hunters could get them to change the recommendation, but the NRB can still override the CDAC decision if they feel it is the proper choice for the herd and habitat.

Amazing how the dnr still allows doe kills in the decimated north but would do a doe only in an overpopulated area for the year. My $320 in licenses and 2k being there in the local economy will vaporize.
Abatement tags+ no worry of pushing shooter bucks nocturnal=fun from sept to Febuary!
Waupaca county will be world class buck hunting in 2017,2018 and beyond. the timing couldn't be better for me, just did a major logging and my warm season grass is going to get serious. I will have a knock out deer paradise.
I just can't see waupaca hunters turning the herd into mn., either. We've had almost 2 decades of head hunting and still the highest density in the state.
Good days ahead