2016 WI Spring CDAC Meetings

I don't fault the guy, he wants to see more deer and I can understand that.
Agreed, but there are other things at play in his situation than just not enough overall deer around that area, so asking for rules that would essentially provide a mass increase in a short time span in the whole of the Farmland Zone is not necessarily the responsible thing to do in that case. Lots of other options for him to pursue before that should come into play.

Reactions: gwm
Agreed, but there are other things at play in his situation than just not enough overall deer around that area, so asking for rules that would essentially provide a mass increase in a short time span in the whole of the Farmland Zone is not necessarily the responsible thing to do in that case. Lots of other options for him to pursue before that should come into play.

Very much agree with this.

Well, time from turkey hunting was short this weekend, so I did not get to speak with Aaron in person, but we did have a good email exchange. I inquired about the CDAC members not showing up for the meetings and Aaron assured me he is just as upset as any of the rest of us about this situation. He relayed to me that they have discussed this with the current no-show members and have basically told them to start showing up regularly for every meeting or step aside. He also said they were actively looking for folks to fill in those positions that they know will show up for all the meetings, just in case anyone should decide to step down or not comply with the CDAC's request for regular attendance. Refreshing to hear at least, whether they actually follow through or not, at least they seem to be on top of resolving the issue at this time.

He also addressed the Farmland Zone number discrepancy and the lower harvest % numbers. He stated that the CDAC members had at length discussions on this with the DNR personnel and they attributed the discrepancy to a buck harvest anomaly that occurred that they had no historical information to gauge against. He couldn't remember exactly, but it had to do with the old units(54B/54B CWD) and when they switched from the regular to the CWD harvest designation and then the switch to the new county based units. He said that the DNR Reps sounded completely on the up and up about this and they seemed a bit embarrassed about the situation. He said the CDAC had no way to know for sure if they were blowing smoke, nor any way to verify what they were being told, but that the DNR Reps seemed to know what went wrong with the numbers they recommended and now they have 2 years of historical data to make future adjustments to the population numbers and harvest quotas. The DNR also now knows they are being watched closely on this situation. Aaron(nor his CDAC peers) does not believe there is any "funny business" involved on the part of the DNR(his exact words). That said, Aaron assured me that they were watching this situation very closely and would be using all this info and any other relevant metrics when it came time to readjust the "goals" for the next 3 year period. He didn't come right out and say it, but he eluded to the fact that if things didn't improve, the CDAC may ask for an "Increase" designation in the Farmland Zone for the next go around.

As far as the turkey hunt, we had a great time but did not harvest a bird in the 2 days we hunted. I was very surprised and happy with the number of deer(and turkeys) we saw in the areas near the lake from about the CTH A(Smith's Marine)/Hwy 80 south and east. The areas north of there from Hwy M in the west to the lake and up into Meadow Valley and the Necedah NWR had very few deer and turkey which was very disappointing.

At dfw, spent a week on the farm. Heard a guy in a bar in iola blowing smoke about no deer and the dnr is messed up. I drove 6 miles home and counted 47 in the ag fields. Guys are delusional living the "dnr is messed up.

Maybe he was one of the CDAC board members who failed to show up to the meeting ...

Maybe he was one of the CDAC board members who failed to show up to the meeting ...
Pretty sure if the guy is buying in to the "Waupaca has no deer" theory, he was at the meeting and he bought into the hype hook, line, and sinker................

It sure sounds like he has the deer and bought into the rest of the rhetoric being spewed by the crowd at the CDAC meeting who were saying they have "no deer". He should come to the Northern part of the Juneau Co Forest Zone, I can show him what "no deer" looks like.

Last edited:
Some are not happy unless it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

He was stated the dnr said we had 280 dpsm, wrong, they said 80 dpsm. I asked him if he had 5 deer on his 40? he said sure, well that's 80 dpsm.

You have to stop confusing peoples with facts ... :)