2 wheel tractor questions

Bszweda

5 year old buck +
Hey guys,
Does anyone have experience with two wheel tractors for food plots? I want to try and plant 1 to 2 acres of a lick creek mix. What implements would be needed?(mower and tiller?) Don't want a 4 wheel because of grade of the hill.
Thanks,
Brad

? Do you mean a trike.
7164006448a225640ce2e7073197aed1.jpg

Never owned one but my neighbor rolled his Farmall M over on himself in 2002. He hit a groundhog hole while tedding hay. He was pinned under the machine for what seemed forever while rescue teams lifted it to free him...he survived with not much more than a horribly broken leg.

Trikes turn great, but I would never own one with our slopes. Flat country...okay, but not on hills.
That being said, thousands of experienced farmers use them on slopes all the time with no issues. I'd want a ROPS (roll bar)

W. Pa.

Do you mean like a Gravely walk behind?

Yeah something similar to a gravely. I was looking at a BCS or grillo

Yeah something similar to a gravely. I was looking at a BCS or grillo
That's not a tractor. Sorry for my earlier reply...thought you were talking about something that was ridden/driven.

W. Pa.

That's not a tractor. Sorry for my earlier reply...thought you were talking about something that was ridden/driven.

W. Pa.

I guess I was on the wrong track too. Never used a walk behind.

I would love to have one with a sickle bar mower.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Man, 2 acres with a BCS would take forever..... keep an eye out for a good used deal on a small tractor instead.

I'd love a BCS for the garden, but they cost as much as a dang used tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the slope is that steep, I wouldn't want to till up the soil up at all since it will erode away. I would get an ATV with a sprayer and go the no-till route instead. You could plant an acre or two with a pull behind seeder for large seeds and a hand seeder for small seeds like clover, rape, etc. Having a cultipacker will help get good seed to soil contact, but if you don't have one you could just run back and forth with the ATV.

Agree with Ben. No hill is worth the expense of loosing your tractor or worse. I have a 2wd jd2630. While it is stable it has it limitations. It has been on three wheels and that is not a good feeling. I had to terrace my two hills to keep it from washing after tilling it so hills can be a pain. I have finally killed the scrub root system and do not plan on ever tilling it again. A 4 wheeler, sprayer, a chain link fence or harrow drag can do most anything. What are you wanting to plant?

Thanks guys... After thinking about it I am going to try the no till approach and buy an ATV( any recommendations? I was thinking a suzuki ozark 250). I was going to buy one for the wife anyways. =) Do I need to cut the weeds or at least roll them?

If the slope is that steep, I wouldn't want to till up the soil up at all since it will erode away. I would get an ATV with a sprayer and go the no-till route instead. You could plant an acre or two with a pull behind seeder for large seeds and a hand seeder for small seeds like clover, rape, etc. Having a cultipacker will help get good seed to soil contact, but if you don't have one you could just run back and forth with the ATV.

I've had good luck with the spray and roll after broadcasting the seed. If you don't have a roller/cultipacker you could just roll it with the wheels on the quad.

Don't know what kind of deal your looking at but I picked up a new Polaris 450HO 4wd for the base on the Suzuki. Wheeler features depend on how steep your place is and how much side hilling will be needed. How big is the place your wanting to do?

Don't know what kind of deal your looking at but I picked up a new Polaris 450HO 4wd for the base on the Suzuki. Wheeler features depend on how steep your place is and how much side hilling will be needed. How big is the place your wanting to do?

1 to 2 acres