Live from the stand thread

I'm on deck but won't lie, I may not make 10:00 AM even. I'm cold!

2 does so far.

IMG_1949.PNG

I'm on deck but won't lie, I may not make 10:00 AM even. I'm cold!

2 does so far.

View attachment 15554
I do not make it as long as I used to in the cold and it doesn't have to be real cold.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I do not make it as long as I used to in the cold and it doesn't have to be real cold.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I hear you. I made it til 10:30.

Just left the stand, 2 small basket racks, zero doe which I thought was strange. Figure they must of gotten harassed all night so they are trying to low.

Deer are crusing everywhere, wanted to sit last evening an should of, decent number of nice deer were killed last night after the wind died down.
Not happy I was stuck at work.
Also afraid my #1 has been poached, word got out he was around I guess after talking with a few of the locals. Havent seen him on trail cam for 4 weeks.

She was chilly this morning, 14 degrees , felt like 5

Just left the stand, 2 small basket racks, zero doe which I thought was strange. Figure they must of gotten harassed all night so they are trying to low.

Deer are crusing everywhere, wanted to sit last evening an should of, decent number of nice deer were killed last night after the wind died down.
Not happy I was stuck at work.
Also afraid my #1 has been poached, word got out he was around I guess after talking with a few of the locals. Havent seen him on trail cam for 4 weeks.

She was chilly this morning, 14 degrees , felt like 5

I was going to like your post until I got to the poached part. Hopefully he wasn't and shows back up.

Yeah, area is notorious for people spotlighting and shooting deer off the combine.

More than a handful have been caught, but its been a losing battle. Used to find 2-3 dead deer a year about 100 yards off the road. Down to about 1 every other year now that the road screens have been established.

Still, with all the happy appys around shooting anything an everything, whenever wherever. It makes it tuff. Had one get busted for shooting a fawn during the summer, thing couldn't have weighed 50#. Their excuse, they needed the meat. Which I love venison to, but there is a right an wrong way to do things.

And don't even get me started on my neighbors to the NW, saw them pulling another deer out this morning out of there 3 acre patch of trees to the NW of me. Every deer that comes out of my acreage an heads down that natural funnel gets shot. Then they just rotate in another guy the next day. Honestly have contemplated putting up about 1000 feet of high fence just on that property corner to steer them a different direction. But cant bring myself to do it. I want to keep things as natural as can be an that would just be an eyesore.

I was debating on getting out of the stand or pushing through another 1/2 hour. Decision was made for me when my golden retriever came up to the bottom of my stand. They let him out to pee at the cabin and he had a different idea. He followed my exact path nose to the ground. Might be a tracking dog after all.

Yeah, area is notorious for people spotlighting and shooting deer off the combine.

More than a handful have been caught, but its been a losing battle. Used to find 2-3 dead deer a year about 100 yards off the road. Down to about 1 every other year now that the road screens have been established.

Still, with all the happy appys around shooting anything an everything, whenever wherever. It makes it tuff. Had one get busted for shooting a fawn during the summer, thing couldn't have weighed 50#. Their excuse, they needed the meat. Which I love venison to, but there is a right an wrong way to do things.

And don't even get me started on my neighbors to the NW, saw them pulling another deer out this morning out of there 3 acre patch of trees to the NW of me. Every deer that comes out of my acreage an heads down that natural funnel gets shot. Then they just rotate in another guy the next day. Honestly have contemplated putting up about 1000 feet of high fence just on that property corner to steer them a different direction. But cant bring myself to do it. I want to keep things as natural as can be an that would just be an eyesore.

What about laying every tree down inside the line ?

What about laying every tree down inside the line ?

Would like to, but not really an option. Not enough trees, mostly seasonal slough edge with old cottonwoods an willow thicket.

His trees reside on about 2 1/2 A of ground that buts up against my seasonal slough bottom, 9 out of 10 years its drys down to form a dry cattail slough bottom. Great bedding until it fills up with snow. The rest of his ground (40 A) he plants to field corn an leaves this field to harvest till last or until they fill their tags, whichever comes first. Never rotates either, corn on corn on corn on corn. Getting old at this point.

In the blind over a food plot this afternoon but it feels like I should be in the woods instead. Sucks picking a stand when you can only get out a handful of days each season.

21 degrees when I walked out the door this morning. Wind was brutal yesterday, calm so far today.
IMG_20171029_072223.jpg

21 degrees when I walked out the door this morning. Wind was brutal yesterday, calm so far today.
It was brutal. But I think I take it a k over airport delays :(

WCQXFps.jpg

I sat the last 3 days. Friday was brutal ... 33 deg F and 15-20 mph winds ... it actually snowed then sleeted. A bit better on Sat, still cold, and This afternoon was better. All 3 days windy and the does were all skittish. The bucks are definetly is a horny mode and lots o chasing going on. Herd lots of grunting. I passed on this guy Friday afternoon. He was 25 yards in front of me. A nice 8 and is 18-19" wide. He has been roaming the property for 2 years now ... I hope the neighbors will pass... my hopes are often dashed ... :emoji_angry:

At the end of the day I had 3 great days in the stand and saw over 20 plus deer every day .... hope everyone is enjoying the opportuniy!

EK000043.JPG

Not quite live from the stand, cause for some reason I could not logon with a mobile device last night,

But it was a fun sit, just not the ones I was looking for. Saw 5 total with one small 3x3 being the lone buck, but he put on the full show, chasing, grunting, made a fresh scrape.

Was barley in the stand, still getting setup when this little button decided to make camp under my blind.

Attachments

• IMG_0247[1].JPG
    IMG_0247[1].JPG
    457.7 KB · Views: 26
Had a 8-pointer come through from behind on my right hand side couldn't get turned to take a shot while he was still in range and had a buck with a single 3 point antler come by on my left.
5352b55aed977b2d69bc4b9e239fa85f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

One other note, I am sold on the changes I made in my scent reduction process.
Had multiple deer downwind all night from 40 yards out to directly under the blind.

One thing Im a little concerned with is something a few have mentioned before but never expanded on.
And that is the health effects that ozone has on a guy.
Sat for the first time in a elevated blind we put up this summer, an for the first time ran the ozonics.
Will say, coupled with my other actions to remain scent free, the deer were clueless.

But that being said, I had the one window open drafting the wind straight downwind, with the ozone blowing down an out with the draft.
Still I could smell that some remained, an had back drafted slightly.
Ended up with a slight headache when all was said an done.

So what r these health ramifications that are possible when exposed to ozone repeatedly, like 2 times a week?

Ok then...

FSBO = Got a used 1 time Ozonics for Sale, $300 bucks half price, heck of a deal, comes with extended battery,

Ha

So what r these health ramifications that are possible when exposed to ozone repeatedly, like 2 times a week?

Not sure with the small amount of Ozone being produced by an Ozonics. i believe they recommend keeping the unit outside of the box though. You dont want to be sucking in the air out of an industrial generator. Everything I read says it can damage lung tissue. O3 has a short half life so I just make sure the machine in our ozone shed has not run for a couple hours before going in.

I Don't carry one to the stand but everything from bath towel to underware and socks are treated with a big unit. Less than $100 on Amazon. http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/ozone-clothing-shed.6445/