Live from the stand thread

I need to find a new job, bout like pulling teeth to get the opportunity to sit in the stand.
Looking like I will have about 8 sits to make it happen this year.
Hoping it only takes the first one.

And that right there explains why I like habitat management just as much if not more.

Rooting for ya,

Man that stinks! We do need an unlike button.

Side note, no pics but I watched a buck chase a doe across 400 yards of open field this afternoon. No bumping, he was flat out and she was tail up not liking it.

Man that stinks! We do need an unlike button.

Side note, no pics but I watched a buck chase a doe across 400 yards of open field this afternoon. No bumping, he was flat out and she was tail up not liking it.
Had a little 6pt come in raking all the bushes like he's something and bump check all the does in the field.

Slow for deer so far but it's a nice morning.

IMG_1868.PNG

Not exactly "live from the stand" but hoping "live from the bathroom window" is close enough. :emoji_joy: Looked out the window and he was feeding in weeds just 20 yards or so to the outside of our inside-yard fence.

Wish he had knife-blade brow tines and more height on those crab-pincer points, but a handsome Florida buck nonetheless.

Anybody wants to play the age game, welcome thoughts... no claim to be an expert here, but thinking maybe 4? Struggling between whether pre-rut testosterone has him really filled-out nicely for a 3 year old or the slight belly drop, thick neck and brisket point more towards 4.

Has me thinking long and hard about the whole "management buck" thread... if 4, I can't see him ever be a scoring monster (even for our area) but a handsome deer to harvest nonetheless and make room for another (blessed in my place butts up against 4,000+ acre plantation with fair number of bucks).

bigbend, I struggle with southern deer but I'd guess 3.5 due to the appearance of his hind quarters vs his chest.

bigbend, I struggle with southern deer but I'd guess 3.5 due to the appearance of his hind quarters vs his chest.
May well be, Bueller... and I admittedly might be guilty of wishing him 4+ to make the call a bit easier on harvesting him (assuming he doesn't get way smarter right quick-like when our gun season opens in two weeks).

Guessing he'll never have big brow tines, but if he's in the 3 year old range I suspect the crab claws (and general mass) might improve a bit.

Purchased our place in 2013 and moved to it in 2014. Been pretty disciplined not shooting any 1 or 2 year olds, but between me and one other fellow I let hunt with me we've harvested 4 bucks and of those I think 3 were in the 3 year old range and one was 4 years old. Have enough horns hanging on the wall and enough pigs to shoot for meat I honestly want to see if I can grow disciplined enough to help some of those nice 3 and 4 year olds reach the 5 year old mark.

May well be, Bueller... and I admittedly might be guilty of wishing him 4+ to make the call a bit easier on harvesting him (assuming he doesn't get way smarter right quick-like when our gun season opens in two weeks).

Guessing he'll never have big brow tines, but if he's in the 3 year old range I suspect the crab claws (and general mass) might improve a bit.

Purchased our place in 2013 and moved to it in 2014. Been pretty disciplined not shooting any 1 or 2 year olds, but between me and one other fellow I let hunt with me we've harvested 4 bucks and of those I think 3 were in the 3 year old range and one was 4 years old. Have enough horns hanging on the wall and enough pigs to shoot for meat I honestly want to see if I can grow disciplined enough to help some of those nice 3 and 4 year olds reach the 5 year old mark.
We don't have many bucks over 1.5 running around by me so there isn't a chance in hell I'd pass on a shot at that buck. Good luck this season.

Anybody wants to play the age game, welcome thoughts..

I'll play and I have no clue how to look at Florida deer. If he was in MO I'd have no problem labeling him 3. Being he's a Confederate I could easily see him as a 4 YO.

I didn't see sqwat on stand this morning.....unless fox squirrels count.

I'll play and I have no clue how to look at Florida deer. If he was in MO I'd have no problem labeling him 3. Being he's a Confederate I could easily see him as a 4 YO.
Kind of fallen off my buck naming game this year, Bill, but if I take this one you've helped me take care of the task.... will call him "Johnny Reb!" :emoji_wink:

I'm getting old! I was in the stand when this bunny killer ran by. I never saw him.
Glad it wasn't a big old buck.......

image.jpeg

Lol! You're supposed to nail that guy Bill!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Amen to that. I've been getting them on that camera and even thought I may get a crack at one.
Lucky dog.

I saw 9 deer on a snowy minnesota morning. 2 bucks 3 doe 4 fawn. The bucks were just out cruising no chasing. 2.5 8 pt and 1.5 spike.

First hunt in the Maverick
01fb760bd32b69fbd5c3d0558beb508c.jpg
d3e07fd7a298fd25c81294b32b1eb221.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

20171027_154420.jpg I saw 8 this morning and my wife saw 13. Mostly does with a few small bucks.

Just watched a little guy work up a scrape and now it's starting to rain.

I'm setup on the downwind edge of a bedding area. Just had a small buck stroll past right in front of me. He's lucky my venison stock is high.