Hunting Pressure Rant

Some areas probably need more hunters. Some areas don't.

If we're going to be in trouble because X number of hunters isn't enough. Then X plus a few million more isn't going to matter.
Like it or not numbers count

If wolves eat all your deer why do you want more deer hunters?

More deer hunters have more leverage to work towards wolf control. Simple numbers.
And for the record I don't think wolves eat all the deer, but they do need to be controlled.

It’s frustrating I generally just don’t worry about it, better for my blood pressure and sanity if I don’t dwell on it when it does happen.

More deer hunters have more leverage to work towards wolf control. Simple numbers.
And for the record I don't think wolves eat all the deer, but they do need to be controlled.

There is no hunting season for wolves, so how does more hunters equal wolf control?

There is no hunting season for wolves, so how does more hunters equal wolf control?
I said, more hunters mean more leverage to get there..... words, they're hard I know

The public hunters around here would shoot wolves with or without permits. Public is the wild west.

I can see that around here in 20 years or less hunting ground will be worth more per acre than farm ground, pretty sure it already has happened in many states. I've heard of farmers getting more per acre for hunting lease than they make with row crops.

Private is the Wild West too. People are fed up with them and there isn’t a single person I know who owns land who will pass up a shot at one not wearing a collar.

I now bow hunt with my Mathews and my S&W 15-22 hanging in the tree. I’d happily pass up a shot at a 10 pointer with an arrow to dump a 30 rd mag on my local pack.

I can see that around here in 20 years or less hunting ground will be worth more per acre than farm ground, pretty sure it already has happened in many states. I've heard of farmers getting more per acre for hunting lease than they make with row crops.
That would have to be exceptional hunting ground and exceptionally poor row crop ground but it’s a moot point I charge for both. One could almost make that argument for pasture ground.

That would have to be exceptional hunting ground and exceptionally poor row crop ground but it’s a moot point I charge for both. One could almost make that argument for pasture ground.
The current trend doesn’t make sense to me at all. The county I live in is the top ag/livestock county in the state, so it isn't poor farming ground, and it isn't considered a trophy area at all, but it is realistic for a good hunter to have a chance at a 150+ sooner or later.

Just so many people that are into hunting here and I think that is great but there is only so much ground like has been said and it is driving the price of private hunting land up.
I've already seen rough ground go for over $12K an acre here and farm ground going for over $20K this year. I have heard that in some parts of states like Iowa farmers can make more money leasing their farm out for hunting than they do farming.

$75 acre row crop
$40-45 acre pasture ground or hay
$14 acre hunting lease on top of farm rent idk why anyone would only do hunting lease idc how much it’s paying it’s on top of your farm income. It’s not a one or the other we do both these prices are my local area other areas I’m sure are different in cash rent amounts.

I said, more hunters mean more leverage to get there..... words, they're hard I know

Bill Loser said:

No, you said the above. How does more hunters leverage wolf control?

Or you can just keep insulting people.

Bill Loser said:

No, you said the above. How does more hunters leverage wolf control?

Or you can just keep insulting people.
Dude read it again. It's not that hard to understand. More hunters means more leverage, more leverage means more possibilty to get seasons for wolf trapping/hunting opened back up. It's really not that complicated

$75 acre row crop
$40-45 acre pasture ground or hay
$14 acre hunting lease on top of farm rent idk why anyone would only do hunting lease idc how much it’s paying it’s on top of your farm income. It’s not a one or the other we do both these prices are my local area other areas I’m sure are different in cash rent amounts.
Just curious as to where this is.

wNY
Row crop $60-100 avg (regions vary vastly wiht the size of the farms there...if they need sileage for their cattle or are beans&corn rotation, etc)
Hay- $40
Hunting $20-40 (the smaller piece that still offer an opportunity are the 40, 25-30 is the norm for 40-120ac farm)
* this is just deer hunting too- waterfowl may be a different lease

In Missouri, landowners can be paid to provide the public with “walk-in only access” at a rate ranging from $15 to $25/acre, with a minimum of 40 acres. $15 gives the public walking and picture taking access. $25 is pretty much all hunting access. There are special options for youth only, turkey only, etc. Given that $30-40 per acre is the average “grazing lease“ rate and $40-60 is a typical “haying” rate, the program is targeting primarily undeveloped properties. Most states have similar programs. In Missouri, those enrolled qualify for 90% cost-share on habitats improvements, which can increase the compensation. There are some large farms (over 600 acres) participating in this program within 90 minutes of Kansas City. I drove by one last weekend and didn’t see a single car In the designated parking area.

Just curious as to where this is.

wNY
Row crop $60-100 avg (regions vary vastly wiht the size of the farms there...if they need sileage for their cattle or are beans&corn rotation, etc)
Hay- $40
Hunting $20-40 (the smaller piece that still offer an opportunity are the 40, 25-30 is the norm for 40-120ac farm)
* this is just deer hunting too- waterfowl may be a different lease
SE Kansas

I was listening to a podcast last week of properties in Iowa that were bringing 100/acre for hunting leases. I'm sure these are exceptions though. Looking up leases online they tend to go for 25/acre without amenities.

I think everyone could agree that what we don't want is for hunting here to follow the rest of the world's model where it is only for the ultra wealthy. Most of us on here are biased towards private land ownership and likely are already better off than most, and even we see the dangers of it becoming just a rich man's game. So how do you change the trajectory that this is going?

From my point of view, the only real way of doing this (while still growing or maintaining hunter numbers) is to increase access. It's encouraging to learn about the walk-in programs. I've heard of some states being restricted by outdated laws for how much they can spend per acre when buying land. This seems like an easy fix.

One thing I've thought about is a sweat equity program on select properties. You help manage invasives, burn, TSI, plant food plots etc, and you get permission to hunt select premium public or private land. This would be a winning solution for all parties - those that care about hunting more mature deer get better opportunities, the herd benefits from better habitat and reduced pressure, and people feel more connected to land they otherwise couldn't afford. It would just take quite a bit of planning and and management to accomplish though.

Just lease it. An 80 ac x $25 is 2k for a yearly payt on a nice size tract. I'd hardly call that an ultra wealthy hunt. Or look for smaller tracts.

A few years back we tried selling a premium hunting tract, 15 ac of creek bottom with a couple acres up top that could be used for plots or even to build on, to a couple good friends. They easily could've afforded it. They didn't want to buy it. I told them to offer us a small lease. We probably would've leased to them for 10/ac. Ya know, to help pay the taxes and insurance. They wouldn't do it. Their line - "you don't pay for hunting." Apparently their uncle and grandpa told that to them. Good luck with that mentality.

Just lease it. An 80 ac x $25 is 2k for a yearly payt on a nice size tract. I'd hardly call that an ultra wealthy hunt. Or look for smaller tracts.

A few years back we tried selling a premium hunting tract, 15 ac of creek bottom with a couple acres up top that could be used for plots or even to build on, to a couple good friends. They easily could've afforded it. They didn't want to buy it. I told them to offer us a small lease. We probably would've leased to them for 10/ac. Ya know, to help pay the taxes and insurance. They wouldn't do it. Their line - "you don't pay for hunting." Apparently their uncle and grandpa told that to them. Good luck with that mentality.
Key words there being a few years ago. It is about impossible to get free permission access in most Midwestern states now. Five years ago leasing wasn't all that common. Now, the price per acre to lease is increasing rapidly, along with the cost of ownership. Technology for finding leases is speeding up adoption of renting hunting ground. It is pretty obvious what is in store for the future.