Live from the stand thread

To me that isnt a lot of blood if that is where he was bedded. I would also think that if it was a mortal wound he wouldnt have gotten up and walked off after lying down for awhile. You certainly need to take another look in the morning but I have a feeling that buck is probably still walking.
After looking back at the pic it could been where he stood for a couple of minutes before bedding, lots of splatters... We didn't look long and it was well after dark before we went down there. We could have missed his bed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yes, that's the arrow.
He got up and walked away before we climbed down. He stumbled and almost fell before bedding. But he was bedded for an hour before getting up on his own and walking away.

Man that first shot with the arrow looks high and forward. The second looks like boiler room placement. 1 lung could take a while.

Man that first shot with the arrow looks high and forward. The second looks like boiler room placement. 1 lung could take a while.
The arrow disappears in the 3rd frame. I'm afraid it's to low for a lung.

That doesn't look like bedded down blood,looks like he was standing.If he bedded that quick he may not have gone far and bedded again or there may be multiple beds.Hope coyotes don't jump.I would see if you can hear any in the area.You will be able to tell if they are fighting over the deer.

Hope for a nicked liver. Going to be a long night for your son. Tell Him we've all been there.

I have had two liver shots that did just what this deer did. Shot sure looks good. Any water in the area? My guess is liver shot and he got up to go to water.

Passthrough, arrow stuck in the ground on the other side of him. Bloody and didn't stink (I'm not a good judge of oder though, just ask my wife!).

Liver Spleen shot would not spit out blood like that unless the deer laid down after running. That back far would mean blood would pool in the body cavity and they trail out. generally a blood from a spleen/liver shot is dark and heavy.

You have really clean red blood witch suggest a lung shot. Were there any bubbles in the blood?

Do you have a pic of the arrow?

What is the trailing blood you found after the hit?

Frothy blood is clearly a lung shot ... back off and go out in the morning. If you havn'nt pushed this deer, it is dead, you will find it close.

Good luck! get your kid to make the first walk when you get down there and have them find the trail ... this is the fun part, letting them trail and discover ... I am excited for you!

Keep us posted ...

Thanks guys. We didn't push him but he did leave on his own. Two more bucks showed up after he bedded and were harassing him. One much bigger than him did a snort wheeze and walked toward him but stopped 20yds shy. Shortly after is when he walked.
The blood we found was mostly dark red but there was one 2x3inch spot of foamy. There were also pools of mostly clear slime with blood in them. Looked like when you blow your nose after a bloody nose.
Playing with video and snapshots:
Exact point of entry...
1ad28450d664580959845045e123882c.jpg

How far he moved on the step as the kid was releasing the arrow. If he had stayed stopped it would have been a perfect shot.
de59825b00ee3f5923c34f7989289898.jpg
2c595bba0955c6e376e70520b6eb522b.jpg

His mule kick after the shot:
3ae468ce49f915d867c3337768f5e996.jpg

Either way he is dead. I would be on coyote patrol tonight. He will be close come morning. Good luck, nothing worse than waiting.

Thanks guys. We didn't push him but he did leave on his own. Two more bucks showed up after he bedded and were harassing him. One much bigger than him did a snort wheeze and walked toward him but stopped 20yds shy. Shortly after is when he walked.
The blood we found was mostly dark red but there was one 2x3inch spot of foamy. There were also pools of mostly clear slime with blood in them. Looked like when you blow your nose after a bloody nose.
Playing with video and snapshots:
Exact point of entry...
1ad28450d664580959845045e123882c.jpg

How far he moved on the step as the kid was releasing the arrow. If he had stayed stopped it would have been a perfect shot.
de59825b00ee3f5923c34f7989289898.jpg
2c595bba0955c6e376e70520b6eb522b.jpg

His mule kick after the shot:
3ae468ce49f915d867c3337768f5e996.jpg

To me ... Horse kick is like the last death moan of a bear ... your kid stuck critical vitals ... dead deer ... let them do the tracking work, it will be fun when they discover it.

Good deal. He will be on point, I'll follow and help when needed.

Liver kick. Like chummer said. He's thirsty.

Dead deer!hopefully you find him this morning!

If I were there, I'd be thinking it's dead. Blood looks like it was standing still for a bit in one spot. Lots of splatters in that pic. In my experience, wounded deer seek 2 things - cover and water. I'd listen for crows as the first indicator of what area to head for, once you're back at the blood trail. Good luck !!

Finding stuff. Last yrs shed... This is the deer that walked under while waiting for his to die after the shot last night.
832f34044585210cd7d12bf38916d9c6.jpg
d11a0802a6d1ff11ce7aa35063ff5395.jpg

Way to go! It's not easy to back out and give time before going in for the recovery but it pays dividends.

Yep, always back out when in doubt! Congrats!

We need the autopsy report when you are done so we can all learn from the experience. Glad you guys could make the recovery.