Live from the stand thread

Got my #1 (and really only) target buck this afternoon at the end of the WI gun season. I've had this buck on camera so much over the past two years, had an encounter with him at 20 yards last Dec while doing the doe management season. He's my biggest buck to date and will be a hard one to top.
This was as emotional of a moment as I've had while deer hunting. My dad passed away when I was 21 and at the time I only bird hunted. My dad enjoyed to big game hunt, he was never a trophy guy or a management guy, he hunted mostly public land. When he was sick, he wanted his brother to get his 7mm Weatherby because I didn't really have any use for it doing my bird hunting. Fast forward several years, my uncle calls me and said he knows I deer hunt now and wants me to have the gun. Awesome! Except my only property that I own/hunt is in a shotgun only zone in MN. I already had the idea of buying some land in WI to get an extra tag (2) but getting my father's gun was just more reason to do it. Last year we purchased this land in WI and it's always been on my mind to target a trophy with my dad's rifle. When it came together tonight it was the closest I have felt to my dad in a long time, it's been 19 years since he passed and I know he was out there with me today.
View attachment 59952
Rough score 175 4/8"
Man awesome story! Great deer too obviously. Congrats!

Got my #1 (and really only) target buck this afternoon at the end of the WI gun season. I've had this buck on camera so much over the past two years, had an encounter with him at 20 yards last Dec while doing the doe management season. He's my biggest buck to date and will be a hard one to top.
This was as emotional of a moment as I've had while deer hunting. My dad passed away when I was 21 and at the time I only bird hunted. My dad enjoyed to big game hunt, he was never a trophy guy or a management guy, he hunted mostly public land. When he was sick, he wanted his brother to get his 7mm Weatherby because I didn't really have any use for it doing my bird hunting. Fast forward several years, my uncle calls me and said he knows I deer hunt now and wants me to have the gun. Awesome! Except my only property that I own/hunt is in a shotgun only zone in MN. I already had the idea of buying some land in WI to get an extra tag (2) but getting my father's gun was just more reason to do it. Last year we purchased this land in WI and it's always been on my mind to target a trophy with my dad's rifle. When it came together tonight it was the closest I have felt to my dad in a long time, it's been 19 years since he passed and I know he was out there with me today.
View attachment 59952
Rough score 175 4/8"
Awesome deer and awesome story. A BIG congratulations to you.

Congrats on getting that giant!

View attachment 59952
Rough score 175 4/8"
That is an amazing buck and a wonderful story. Hunting is filled with highs and lows…you are enjoying one of those highs as your plans came together on the new property. Congratulation on a great buck that comes with so many memories!

What a cool, heartfelt story. Thanks for sharing and CONGRATS!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing story. Congratulations on having it all come together.

Congrats on a monster buck! Nice tribute.

What a TOAD

how far was the shot?

Cogratulations!

Lots of nice bucks taken on the final day. Persistence pays. Our camp wrapped up our efforts after the Saturday afternoon hunt and sure enough one of my targets bucks walked past at least 3 stands Sunday morning. On the plus side I got him again on camera Sunday evening after the season closed so he made it.

Congrats Brian on a great buck!

View attachment 59952
Rough score 175 4/8"
Excellent story & kill !!! He's a bruiser - but the tale of the gun that was your Dad's is making it sweeter.

I can relate to your story. I got my biggest buck on the last day of the 1995 rifle season with my Dad's .270. Dad had passed just a few years earlier. I was alone that day, and to make this even freakier - a guy stopped his truck, turned it around, and came back to help me get it out of the woods with his son. As it turned out - that guy worked with my Dad for years and knew him well. I felt like Dad was there with me that day. Chance of that exact encounter had to be 100 million to 1.

I'm happy for you that you felt your Dad's presence too. Enjoy the memory as you look at that buck mounted on your wall.

The second rut is underway in our area. I saw steady chasing from about 3:05 until dark last night. Unfortunately nothing I wanted to put my tag on.

A little late but this was opening morning for me in PA. Let my dad hunt my stand this year since I got one in WV. At one point he texted me 8 pt. I texted back no shot? to which I received no reply. I said to myself I can't believe my dad passed up an 8 pt. Later he complains to me saying it was so close to the bottom of the the ladder stand he couldn't decide whether to shoot under the rail or over it and the buck ended up seeing him and ran off. Haha. I saw this little guy and a pile of doe. I apparently have new neighbors too. While getting stands ready the week before I noticed a new road along the property line. Sunday at 3 pm down goes an atv/utv on this new road. Might've been looking for me considering I was parked on his property. Old neighbor let me park there. I'll have to talk to new one to see if that's still ok. If not I'll park in front of my cable. Not a big deal. I just don't like to park there because deer come in there once in a while.
first day rifle.jpgfirst day rifle 2.jpg

Update on my buck, the taxidermist put a tape on it and came up with 181 7/8" gross. Guess our midnight half (mostly) drunk string and flex tape didn't do it justice, who woulda thought? 20231128_185010.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 59952
Rough score 175 4/8"

Holy moly!

Update on my buck, the taxidermist put a tape on it and came up with 181 7/8" gross. Guess our midnight half (mostly) drunk string and flex tape didn't do it justice, who woulda thought? View attachment 59992

That's awesome!

giphy.gif

Super freak, super freak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mega!

I'm sensing steak knives in your future.