All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live from the stand thread

Second buck in 3 days. This one was in Oklahoma (about the same drive as the family farm), and on public land.

He was a little young for me… 2.5-3.5… but the minute I saw the palmations on his right antler, he was dead. He had too much character. With the left main beam I complete, he still went 14.75” inside spread. Not too shabby for a hound fella.

4ae78e1886ce55ca697efbf054221f70.jpg

0f72d403db8eafc0c1020e5dfe7a68ae.jpg

8fe10aa08545a2c845171ca01fa3451a.jpg

Backpacked him out just over a mile and a half… this is me at the halfway mark. Finally out of the woods and on an access road.
8d9a0de0e7db59cc23ebc5bf4a3b579e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your kid looks pretty happy. He setup that ground blind awhile back, or put it up that morning. Never had great luck, always get busted by deer. Even with wind in my favor.
He was very happy with his first buck. The ground blind was set up 8 days ago, the same day the corn was harvested. He had a good wind for the blind, and deer came following a rattle sequence. My son just took up deer hunting last year, and has to get an out-of-state tag to hunt at our place. Glad he was able to harvest his first buck, which weighed 172#. This was his 6th sit of the season on the property and the first time the wind was in favor for this blind. Our focus is now to help his daughter get her first deer. I also gave him the green-light to harvest a doe.

IMG_1752.jpeg

the same day the corn was harvested.

We do that every year. When the corn is harvested the whole world changes in hours and they don't pick up on that new blind.

Reactions: 356
Slow for me, yesterday I saw a small buck, and this morning a small doe. I learned the turkey and squirrel population is healthy.

Hunted 11/11-11/15 and 11/17 & 18 with 11/13 & 14 being the best days. Saw deer every day except the last two which were half day sits. Saw one nicer buck that I kind of forced a shot on through some thick cover and it didn't work out for me. Searched for two hours the night of the shot until I ran out of battery power and searched again the next morning for another two hours.

On a good note, Logan called this morning after he shot. Said he thinks he saw it tip over, but was going to give it an hour before he went to look and just sent me this.

Public land with a power line opening. Public shooting range less than a mile away so deer here are used to the sound of gunshots. They bed just to north on private and cross through in the evening.

Hope I don't find the skeleton of the hunter this chair belongs to!
PXL_20231123_204202368.jpg

Not live but wanted to share. Dad got his doe a few days ago. He missed last year while getting a new shoulder put in. It was his only off year since he began deer hunting at age 42 (he became a deer hunter because a stupid 11 yr old son of his made him). 76 now. Dragged and gutted on his own. Although my 6 yr old pulled her up on the truck. He was pumped.

20231119_173033.jpg20231119_174817.jpg

Just realized how blurry the pic was, windows were starting to condense, finally got a *little* cold here in SW WI.