Wow. This is a bit un-nerving. Out of the past.

One of the guys I was with in ND duck hunting this year, he has a nephew that was abducted down in that area the same time as Wetterling was..... I never knew this, but apparently there were several boys prior to Jacobs disappearance that were abducted and released. That news has just come out recently.
Absolutely crazy to listen to the unfolding story about it all.

Sounds like they didn't own the pit either.

I always walk my place with my AR pistol when I haven't been up there in a while (like over the summers when it's muggy and buggy). I'd hate to bump into someone who thought they were alone in the back 40 "baking." I suppose I should be more afraid of wolves, but I'm not. 2 legged critters are a lot more dangerous when spooked.

There are a lot of nut case's in this country. A few of the ones mentioned here are just our's. Remember Jeffrey Dahmer.

FBI called me yesterday. 25 years is a long time to remember details which happened over in a couple of minutes. Told him the same info as the deputy.

Agent said we was lucky.....and these were some bad dudes. I knew I was talking with some guys that were a few bricks short.....but I thought it was irate land-owner talk.....until the kid said "we killed lots of people here before". That sent a chill. Still.....I thought (hoped) it was just crazy talk.

I can only guess what was happening in the car at the time.....as I never did actually see a firearm behind that door. But I gotta beleive the kid was having problems with loading the gun at our "stand-off" and that is why they left. May have been a pistol.....or I expect a lever-action loading gate issue??.....or some such thing.....because I can relate to those finicky loading gates and the moves he was making as he kept looking at me....and then down at the gun. It was like who's gonna "draw" first. Not setting my gun down early-on turns out to be a good decision.

I was looking for a place to "dive" for cover.....and where my ammo was laying, over at our car.

The old man alternated looking at me and what the kid was doing too....before demanding for us to get out.....and then driving off. I think he sized up the problems that the kid had with loading the gun. Phew.....talk about a feeling of relief at the time. (Wish I woulda had a go-pro helmet camera....grin.)

The FBI said he could not divulge more to me......but said it seemed I likely read the situation correctly. Often wondered about how crazy those boys were that day........and as Paul Harvey said "Now I know the rest of the story".

I expect there will be more news to come about these guys.....(too bad the old man died in prison tho). Wonder how many folks these looney's really did kill.

I feel bad we didn't call the Sheriff at that time....but it sounds like this was happening allot with these boys at the time.....and the Sheriff didn't DO anything about it. How do you deal with crazy?

Last edited:
Tom- I heard some more stories this week from my clients. Nobody trusted them.

I can imagine that is the talk in that area still!

FBI called me yesterday. 25 years is a long time to remember details which happened over in a couple of minutes. Told him the same info as the deputy.

Agent said we was lucky.....and these were some bad dudes. I knew I was talking with some guys that were a few bricks short.....but I thought it was irate land-owner talk.....until the kid said "we killed lots of people here before". That sent a chill. Still.....I thought (hoped) it was just crazy talk.

I can only guess what was happening in the car at the time.....as I never did actually see a firearm behind that door. But I gotta beleive the kid was having problems with loading the gun at our "stand-off" and that is why they left. May have been a pistol.....or I expect a lever-action loading gate issue??.....or some such thing.....because I can relate to those finicky loading gates and the moves he was making as he kept looking at me....and then down at the gun. It was like who's gonna "draw" first. Not setting my gun down early-on turns out to be a good decision.

I was looking for a place to "dive" for cover.....and where my ammo was laying, over at our car.

The old man alternated looking at me and what the kid was doing too....before demanding for us to get out.....and then driving off. I think he sized up the problems that the kid had with loading the gun. Phew.....talk about a feeling of relief at the time. (Wish I woulda had a go-pro helmet camera....grin.)

The FBI said he could not divulge more to me......but said it seemed I likely read the situation correctly. Often wondered about how crazy those boys were that day........and as Paul Harvey said "Now I know the rest of the story".

I expect there will be more news to come about these guys.....(too bad the old man died in prison tho). Wonder how many folks these looney's really did kill.

I feel bad we didn't call the Sheriff at that time....but it sounds like this was happening allot with these boys at the time.....and the Sheriff didn't DO anything about it. How do you deal with crazy?

Did the FBI question you about the Rain Dance? Maybe they were trying to verify your character?

Over 90% of people are incapable of killings a person. the justification for deadly force is a imminent threat of death or great bodily harm and a means to carry out that threat. Loading a gun and threatening to kill u fits the justification. You should have killed them.
Like I said, even if that 90% is high most are still incapable. Read on killing I believe it is called by lt col Dave grossman. If your packing you still have to be able to kill. There's a huge gap there

Over 90% of people are incapable of killings a person. the justification for deadly force is a imminent threat of death or great bodily harm and a means to carry out that threat. Loading a gun and threatening to kill u fits the justification. You should have killed them.
Like I said, even if that 90% is high most are still incapable. Read on killing I believe it is called by lt col Dave grossman. If your packing you still have to be able to kill. There's a huge gap there

Yep. Well stated....except: I never SAW the gun. Maybe....just maybe he was shelling peas? I didn't know these guys were the bad guys they turned out to be.

I don't know if very many folks KNOW what they would do under the same circumstances. Pull that trigger and your wrong......and you'd be sitting in prison instead of the bad guy.

I feel you made the best decision, Tom.

Not quite that simple in this state. Duty to retreat. Had a gun come out the window then there is only one option shoot to kill or until threat is eliminated. Tough to do with only one round though. Foggy did exactly what he was supposed to.

Oh I didn't read your post real close, I thought I saw something about the kid fumbling to load a gun and the threat. Not saying your a lessor person for not capping them.

Oh I didn't read your post real close, I thought I saw something about the kid fumbling to load a gun and the threat. Not saying your a lessor person for not capping them.

Yep. I likely reported this topic to death. It's most interesting to the possible connection to Jacob Wetterling......and to know how you would act under such a circumstance.

90% + of the time I think gun play could be avoided by a cool head. It's the other 10% you need to worry about. ;)

Gut feelings are crazy! I bet had you done things just the slightest bit different in that situation things may have gone to hell in a hand basket. Things happen for a reason. God must have wanted to keep you around to keep QDMA in check;) I have had a few things happen in life that made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Maybe that feeling is your guardian angel. Who knows