Would You Go On A Free High Fence Hunt?

I'm not trying to make a big deal of it; you stated something as fact which was factually incorrect. I've no doubt there have been deer clear an 8' fence, although I doubt most would do it as easily as you stated. Also, black nylon fencing is garbage, which would flex as to allow anything to fall over the top if it hit the fence as opposed to bouncing it back the direction from which it came. The video shows deer jumping fences of under 6', by the way.

Nothing I stated was factually incorrect. Mature deer can easily clear an 8' fence. I've seen them do it. There are plenty of places where it is documented. I simply did a quick google query and grabbed one of the first sites that popped up. While Nature clip did not say how high the fences were (actually several shown) the show confirmed what I stated.

Also, keep in mind the context of the thread, high fenced hunts. In the context of canned hunts (You can see from my previous posts I don't think all high fenced areas are canned hunts or non-fair chase), large investments are made in the deer. "Hunters" (and I use the term loosely) pay by the inch for trophy sized animals. Sperm from champion deer sells for very high dollar amounts. Anyone making this kind of investment that would only use an 8' fence to protect the investment would be foolish.

Is an 8' fence an impediment to deer? Absolutely. As I said, in my experience it was effective but not foolproof. Even with deer seeking food and not escaping predators. The reason you likely find so many videos with deer failing to clear fences is because the agony of defeat trumps success when it comes to getting more views.

Once more thing to consider is that whitetail deer have a fairly wide range of physical characteristics within the species. Deer in the north tend to be larger bodied heavier deer than deer in the south. So perhaps I and all of us overreach a bit when we talk about the limits of deer. I will say, without a doubt and from personal observation, that mature deer in my area can and do clear 8' fences.

Thanks,

jack

You said high fence was 10', and that is not factually correct. The rest is really neither here nor there with regards to what I was addressing. I don't feel the need to add my opinion again on the rest of this discussion unless I am asked, I just wanted to point out what is legally required for high-fenced whitetail deer, and also what is routinely used for exclusion fencing: usually 8' Solidlock or the like, or occasionally 8' chain-link. I have plenty of experience on the topic, and I suspect I have seen more deer react to high-fencing (of varying heights) than most.

Yoder seems to talk a lot of smack as fact he can't back. If those fences were 8 feet your booners are 115 inches. Sorry.

That's interesting Jack. All my experience is with southern deer. Having spent a lot of time in 8' fenced pastures I've seen 1 yearling buck and a few does jump a fence. I've never seen a mature buck jump a fence. Typically they are to bulky and heavy to jump a fence. Lazy too. I've seen a 7 yr old buck hit a fence at full run and break thru. Much more common is for them to find a way under a fence. Critters, Javelinas, coyotes , hogs etc can create trails...even rushing water...and the Bucks can work there way under. Indeed game fences are solid impediments but not perfect at containing deer in normal ranch/farm type environments.

In fact in Mexico where they frequently use very tight 5 strand barbed wire fences mature bucks hate crossing them and will walk up and down trying to find ways under. I hate them and only use 4 strand fences which doesn't impede movement.

You said high fence was 10', and that is not factually correct. The rest is really neither here nor there with regards to what I was addressing. I don't feel the need to add my opinion again on the rest of this discussion unless I am asked, I just wanted to point out what is legally required for high-fenced whitetail deer, and also what is routinely used for exclusion fencing: usually 8' Solidlock or the like, or occasionally 8' chain-link. I have plenty of experience on the topic, and I suspect I have seen more deer react to high-fencing (of varying heights) than most.

I believe the legal requirement are state by state. I was not referring to legal requirements.

That's interesting Jack. All my experience is with southern deer. Having spent a lot of time in 8' fenced pastures I've seen 1 yearling buck and a few does jump a fence. I've never seen a mature buck jump a fence. Typically they are to bulky and heavy to jump a fence. Lazy too. I've seen a 7 yr old buck hit a fence at full run and break thru. Much more common is for them to find a way under a fence. Critters, Javelinas, coyotes , hogs etc can create trails...even rushing water...and the Bucks can work there way under. Indeed game fences are solid impediments but not perfect at containing deer in normal ranch/farm type environments.

In fact in Mexico where they frequently use very tight 5 strand barbed wire fences mature bucks hate crossing them and will walk up and down trying to find ways under. I hate them and only use 4 strand fences which doesn't impede movement.

Baker,

I generally. Deer typically try to climb through or go under fences before trying to jump. I think you are also right about the laziness of deer in that sense. There may also be differences in incentive. Again, my personal observation of deer jumping fences comes from areas in the suburbs where populations are high and incentives may be different than in large ranches. I do realize that there are some studies that have tried to assess deer jumping ability that conclude a fence of 8' is a very significant deterrent to the deer in the study but also note that a number of wildlife biologists report observing deer jump fences 8' and greater.

Thanks,

Jack

I believe the legal requirement are state by state. I was not referring to legal requirements.
What were you referring to, then? When you said that whitetail require 10' to be considered high fence, I assumed you were implying an official regulation, even though farmed whitetails are not permitted in VA. I must have misunderstood. I previously said "most states," as I can't state that all have the same requirements as PA (and many others that require 8'.)

What were you referring to, then? When you said that whitetail require 10' to be considered high fence, I assumed you were implying an official regulation, even though farmed whitetails are not permitted in VA. I must have misunderstood. I previously said "most states," as I can't state that all have the same requirements as PA (and many others that require 8'.)

Simply that 8' is insufficient to ensure containment. Virginia has cracked down heavily on penned deer since CWD hit nearby counties in WV and then made its way into VA. One of the latest regulations has been to restrict the use of non-synthetic deer urine.

Lets get back to the video of the 7 foot tall deer, or maybe they were 40 inches tall and the tines were 4 feet long! Impressive animals!

Lets get back to the video of the 7 foot tall deer, or maybe they were 40 inches tall and the tines were 4 feet long! Impressive animals!

I'm not sue where you got that from. If you read my early post, I said that the clip did not specify the height of the fences in the video but did confirm my observations. That was just the first thing that popped up when I did a google search. You seem to have a knack for taking things out of context.

I'm not sue where you got that from. If you read my early post, I said that the clip did not specify the height of the fences in the video but did confirm my observations. That was just the first thing that popped up when I did a google search. You seem to have a knack for taking things out of context.

And you a knack for rambling with no real blah blah blah.

Your the one that claimed hogwash on videos of deer not jumping 8 foot fence and then posted a video with 5 foot fences.

Not for certain how that video confirmed you seeing deer jump fences 3 foot taller than posted.o_O:rolleyes::oops::eek::D:cool::confused::mad::(;):)

Confession. I get weird pleasure jacking with Jack. Or I mean Jac.

And you a knack for rambling with no real blah blah blah.

Your the one that claimed hogwash on videos of deer not jumping 8 foot fence and then posted a video with 5 foot fences.

Not for certain how that video confirmed you seeing deer jump fences 3 foot taller than posted.o_O:rolleyes::oops::eek::D:cool::confused::mad::(;):)

Confession. I get weird pleasure jacking with Jack.

Once again, I suggest you go back and actually read the post. I told you about my personal observation and you suggest that "Maybe the fence was not 8 feet" That is when I said hogwash. Notice the period after hogwash. I did not say anything about fence height in the video. I simply posted the link to a web site with a PBS nature series clip that addressed the subject of deer jumping fences. They stated that deer jump fences of 8' and greater. I don't know what height the fences in the clips were. I simply posted that link to show that my personal observations are not inconsistent with others.

I'm glad you get pleasure from trying to twist things and take the out of context. I'll stick to presenting my experiences and I don't expect that all others will have the same experiences I do. While I'm happy to defend the positions I take (and also admit when I'm wrong), I'm not going to engage in personalizing things.

Best of luck,

jack

So now 2 guys say deer jump 8 foot fences with no video or pictures. Or 3. still no pictures or video. Did it ever really happen? I remain on the fence. (undetermined height)

See what I did there - that was some pretty funny schmdit!

So now 2 guys say deer jump 8 foot fences with no video or pictures. Or 3. still no pictures or video. Did it ever really happen? I remain on the fence. (undetermined height)

See what I did there - that was some pretty funny schmdit!

Jimmy Fallon watch out!

You are good shit Jac. I will give you that.o_O

I say it would be extremely rare for a deer to jump an eight foot fence. Just my personal observations! They got good pogo sticks but just not that good!!!LOL!

This is interesting.
But what me and the Donald need to know is how high does the fence have to be to keep a 4 foot Mexideercan out?

Remember at the end of the day. We're all in it for the same thing. And our thing isn't the fate of the world.

Just sayin.