All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wood duck houses

And yes, Raccoons can climb smooth poles. I will try to post a video.

I found that out last year. The successful woody hatch I had this year came from the same box that was raided last year just days before the hatch. I won the battle this year...I greased the 2" metal pole:emoji_alien:along with a predator guard. I showed them!!

And yes, Raccoons can climb smooth poles. I will try to post a video.

Raccoons are terrible, I hate them!

I've got some serious predator guards on my boxes and I still see muddy prints where they try and climb past them.....those bastards can damn near climb glass.

A couple of my favorites.

Attachments

• PIRT0277.JPG
    PIRT0277.JPG
    661.2 KB · Views: 28
  • PIRT0302.JPG
    PIRT0302.JPG
    646.1 KB · Views: 30
Wonderful pics!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Lots of great pictures and videos guys! I checked my box today and had a successful hatch either yesterday or today. All but one egg hatched. I had a trail cam on a T post facing the duck house but didn't capture any of the jumpers. I moved the cam to take pictures of the pond so hopefully I get some pictures of mom and the little guys.

Hen still sitting in the front box..seems like she has been in there a long time, I may have gotten the first box pics of her when she was laying or it's a different hen already and I missed the other leaving?

1F7Gi1a.jpg

Back box has an even bigger mound of chips in center now, I didn't want to carry the ladder all the way back there yesterday to count eggs and it was to wet to drive back. She should start setting soon for round two in that box.

Last edited:
Checked the front box Saturday and the hen had already hatched out and left. There was a mound of feathers piled up in the center of the box so I opened it up to clean it out and take a look.

qO3EQi5.jpg

And it had two new eggs in it already!
gugE0Zh.jpg

So I cleaned out some of the hatched shells three old eggs and debris and covered them back up.

Checked the back box and the second hen is sitting now.

1gI3E62.jpg

The front cam didn't catch any of the ducklings jumping but did have pics of the new hen the last few days.
eAhML82.jpg

And a couple hoodies that are no doubt working the minnows and tadpoles over.
Ats4mm6.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if you couldn't smear some marine grade grease on that pole and keep them off? If you get actual marine grade, it's non-toxic and resists water washout better than plain grease.

After two springs with no use I moved my house today. It now faces directly at the creek rather than a quartering angle and is placed more in the open. I don't expect anything this year but hopefully I get a tenant next spring.

After two springs with no use I moved my house today. It now faces directly at the creek rather than a quartering angle and is placed more in the open. I don't expect anything this year but hopefully I get a tenant next spring.

Hopefully you will still have a chance to get it used this year.
I've got round two going in mine and one just started laying middle of last week down here so it shouldn't be to late for you way north of me.

Coon got to my duck house. I blame the front door not being securely shut somehow.
I had pics of a coon climbing the pole but I got a guard on it.

But regardless, all the eggs fell out as it's leaning forward slightly into the pond and coon ate them all in front of a camera.

Coon did come back to the duck house for his last meal and added himself to my tally.
(131 coons in 11 years)

First time poster. Just found this habitat forum.

bueller,

Anyway I have a number of wood duck boxes I keep tabs on. This may sound crazy but one thing you may try is on the sides of your box take a Sharpie and color in an area that looks like an opening. I have a box that faces a small pond that isn't 15 yards wide. I mark one side of the box with this trick so that if a wood duck is flying by it sees what it appears is a hole in a tree and possible place to nest. They use it every year sometimes twice.

First time poster. Just found this habitat forum.

bueller,

Anyway I have a number of wood duck boxes I keep tabs on. This may sound crazy but one thing you may try is on the sides of your box take a Sharpie and color in an area that looks like an opening. I have a box that faces a small pond that isn't 15 yards wide. I mark one side of the box with this trick so that if a wood duck is flying by it sees what it appears is a hole in a tree and possible place to nest. They use it every year sometimes twice.
Welcome to the forum! And thanks for the tip. I've never heard of that before but it makes sense.

The wood duck factory is still at work here!
The second round of hens is still sitting and should have their ducklings hatch within a week or so. I put the waders on and checked them yesterday afternoon, both seem pretty calm but still give me the 1000 yard stare and hiss when I stick my phone in the hole. I am definitely adding two more nest boxes this winter.

Front box;
38GHz6C.jpg

Back box, looks like she is setting on a lot of eggs;
JCsV40z.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome fwler! I have checked mine several times in hopes of a 2nd round or a late one but no luck here.

Ok have another step for you guys that have wood duck boxes for next year. Get some size 5 or 6 metal bands from the link below the pictures. I just have mine numbered only but you can have your name/phone number etc. You will need an applicator to put the band on their leg without hurting them by placing it on too tight.

I have been placing bands on the ducks using my wood duck boxes for a number of years. It is neat to see which hens come back to certain boxes. I had one hen disappear and 3 years later show up in a set of boxes a half mile away from where I banded her. That is why I just have them numbered so I can keep track of location, year etc. I had one hen use the same box 4 years in a row.

Next spring keep an eye on your nests. Stuff a towel in the entrance hole and then open up your door and drape another towel over the hen. They will not like it and immediately poop on everything. If you can get it over her head quickly she will calm down. Keep her head and body covered and try to free a foot then place a band on it. I usually uncover her and place her back in her nest. My daughter absolutely loves going with me to check the boxes now so she can hold them. How many kids can say they have held a wild duck!

If you look at the attached picture you can see a band on her right leg. The second picture it is on her right leg also. MDGC0108.JPG MFDC0331.JPG

https://nationalband.com/bird-bands/
https://nationalband.com/bird-band-applicators-style-number-1242s/

Ok have another step for you guys that have wood duck boxes for next year. Get some size 5 or 6 metal bands from the link below the pictures. I just have mine numbered only but you can have your name/phone number etc. You will need an applicator to put the band on their leg without hurting them by placing it on too tight.

I have been placing bands on the ducks using my wood duck boxes for a number of years. It is neat to see which hens come back to certain boxes. I had one hen disappear and 3 years later show up in a set of boxes a half mile away from where I banded her. That is why I just have them numbered so I can keep track of location, year etc. I had one hen use the same box 4 years in a row.

Next spring keep an eye on your nests. Stuff a towel in the entrance hole and then open up your door and drape another towel over the hen. They will not like it and immediately poop on everything. If you can get it over her head quickly she will calm down. Keep her head and body covered and try to free a foot then place a band on it. I usually uncover her and place her back in her nest. My daughter absolutely loves going with me to check the boxes now so she can hold them. How many kids can say they have held a wild duck!

If you look at the attached picture you can see a band on her right leg. The second picture it is on her right leg also. View attachment 13717 View attachment 13719

https://nationalband.com/bird-bands/
https://nationalband.com/bird-band-applicators-style-number-1242s/
That's wild :emoji_duck:

That's some cool field work you are doing Chasin, and interesting data no doubt. Not trying to be the wet blanket in the room but does this interaction cause the hen to leave the nest for a period of time? Or do they stay on the nest once you've placed them back in the box and leave the area? Just curious..