Wood duck houses

My wood duck house was still unoccupied as of last weekend. Second full year out and still nothing. At this point I'll rent to anybody who needs a place to stay.

My wood duck house was still unoccupied as of last weekend. Second full year out and still nothing. At this point I'll rent to anybody who needs a place to stay.
I have a box between the old pond and the new pond that has been out for probably 5 years now and has never been occupied. I had another box I moved around the old pond for a few years but never had any activity either. After I built the new pond I put up a wood duck box and it was used that spring. The following spring I put up another box on the new pond and has been used last year and again this spring. I don't know why some box locations are preferred over others but maybe by moving your box to a different side of the pond or another location may be helpful.

My youngest son is turkey hunting this morning and just texted me that the hen hoodie in the front box came off with chicks today. He said they are swimming around the pond, hope I got a pic or two of them. I'll check and clean out the box Monday.

The box on the back pond has a hen woody sitting in it.

Cleaned out the hoody box and put fresh chips in it, every egg hatched.
The youngest boy said there was at least ten chicks with hen Saturday, didn't get any on camera and she was nowhere that I could see Monday.
YNBO43M.jpg

The new box with the mystery egg in it was a surprise, I stuck my phone in it and all hell broke loose. A very mad hen woody was in it on a bunch of eggs...apparently she kicked out whatever was trying to nest in that box and took it over.
BSJ8XIh.png

kvph7RI.png

Second batch hen in box on back pond, both pics are her just wanted to show all the eggs she is sitting.
us7j1t5.jpg

0SN0Z1l.jpg

So far this year back pond box has hatched one brood, hen sitting on second round.
Front pond hoody hatched one brood and woody hatched one brood so far.
New box front pond one woody brood hatched.
I cleaned out both boxes on front pond Saturday hopefully to get round three in the older box round two in new box. It's been a busy year for nest boxes here, I wonder if some ducks short stopped to nest further south due to the cold spring?

Couple pics from the woody cam on front pond.
Ww4KtN4.jpg

zFb7CwZ.jpg

I've had zero success with the wood duck house I put up a couple years ago. Recently moved it again hoping to catch a hen's attention next year. So it was quite laughable when these two little guys appeared in our yard last week. They followed the kids around so much that we eventually had to go in the cabin so they would move on and hopefully reunite with their mother who was nowhere to be seen.
IMG_20180602_124335.jpgIMG_20180602_124507.jpgIMG_20180602_124512.jpgIMG_20180602_125135.jpg

bumping this up to share two websites woodducksociety.com nest watch.org

anybody build their own boxes? any good sources to buy from?

bill

bumping this up to share two websites woodducksociety.com nest watch.org

anybody build their own boxes? any good sources to buy from?

bill

The State DNR and Boy Scouts can help you out with completed boxes and posts, building the boxes is easy and fun too.

I was just thinking about my woody boxes the other day, getting time to clean them out and replace chips...I've got one predator guard that came loose and slid down the post last fall too that needs fixed.

How small of a pond is it worth putting a box on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How small of a pond is it worth putting a box on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think any size as long as you have a good predator guard on it, the woody hens with chicks don't stay on my ponds anyway after they hatch that I have seen, I think they head to the river, same with mallard broods. I keep cameras on ponds in spring/early summer and geese with goslings are only ones I get pics of or see.

Cleaned out wood duck boxes yesterday, lane was to soft to drive on with all the rain&snow melt so I shouldered the big step ladder/bag of cedar chips and a bucket. I remembered pretty fast why I hate slogging around in neoprene chest waders when it is warm out.

First box I waded out to and opened had a hen hooded merganser already sitting in it. She was surprisingly calm so I buttoned it back up slogged back to the truck so I could get my phone to take a quick vid. It's the same box that a merganser nested in early last spring. The other two boxes just had egg shells and old chips in them but they are ready to go now.
I did flush a few ringnecks and mallards off front pond and a nice group of bluewings and couple geese off the back pond.

nNDhaRf.jpg

Mine are cleaned out and ready too. Woodies showed up about a week ago.

I haven't seen any action around mine but haven't opened them

I haven't seen any action around mine but haven't opened them

I just slid my phone through the hole and snap a picture to see it theres any activity in the nest box. If the hen is in there she usually just sits there quietly but will sometimes hiss at me.

i have three boxes all with hens and eggs

I also made i phone movies and would post if i knew how.......

bill

I don't have an iphone but I'm guessing you can just sign up at Youtube or Vimeo(easier with their apps imo) and upload them there like I do on my Android or laptop. Then copy/paste the link to a video here in the "Media" option in the dropdown menu next to the "Smiles" above where you type here.

Smallest ducks I've ever seen were checking out a house:

These two seem to like the place: