Wood duck houses

bueller

How many of you guys have wood duck houses on your properties? I want to put my first one in this spring as soon as the ground thaws enough to where I can dig a hole. Any tips or suggestions?

I put some out a few years ago. Made them out of cedar. I put them on the edge of ditches that are about 3-4' deep. They are mounted on 2" galvanized pipes that were about 11' long. I chiseled a hole through the ice and stood on my 4 wheeler rack and pounded the pipes in and then mounted the houses with u-bolts and put cedar mulch/chips in them. Actually cleaned them out last week.

I put some out a few years ago. Made them out of cedar. I put them on the edge of ditches that are about 3-4' deep. They are mounted on 2" galvanized pipes that were about 11' long. I chiseled a hole through the ice and stood on my 4 wheeler rack and pounded the pipes in and then mounted the houses with u-bolts and put cedar mulch/chips in them. Actually cleaned them out last week.
Mine will be on land within sight of a ditch similar to what you described. Have you had successful hatches?

Not that I know of. I had eggs in one box last year and there was an oddball egg in there too and I think the woody abandoned the box. I had a trailcam on the post of that box and had quite a few woodies using that particular ditch.

Fleet farm has them. But my son and I built one together per the Wisconsin Outdoor news specs. We put it over our pond. But never have had ducks in it. Sucks.

I have built 10-12. The ones I placed near water, not over looking water or in water have been more successful. Have had 7-9 duckling hatches.

Make sure there is a 1/4" wire mesh 2-3" strip inside going from box bottom to the hole.

Place 2-3" of cedar chips inside box.

Ad a climb stop like a galv steel funnel or coffee can on the pole to minimize egg predators.

Clean out every February as mice will take over during the winter.

I followed these plans. http://www.outdoornews.com/February-2013/Winter-Project-The-Wood-Duck-Challenge/

Those are the plans(WON)I followed. Luckily, I had all the materials on hand and the cost was minimal. My grandpa had a ton of cedar boards he gave me and I pulled the galvanized pipe out of the old barn on my place.

They ducklings don't have to land onto water. I put my boxes over water for less chance of predators and squirrels wreaking havoc with the boxes.

They ducklings don't have to land onto water. I put my boxes over water for less chance of predators and squirrels wreaking havoc with the boxes.
From what I've read they just need a clear path to the water. Not necessarily a manicured lawn, but not a thick row of inpenetrable thicket growth either.

I thought it was a neat thing to do with my oldest. I made him pound nails while building it. Just wish I could get some ducks.

IMG_0979_zpsjwx4gpww.jpg

IMG_0988_zpsxaadq9f1.jpg

I thought it was a neat thing to do with my oldest. I made him pound nails while building it. Just wish I could get some ducks.

IMG_0979_zpsjwx4gpww.jpg

IMG_0988_zpsxaadq9f1.jpg

Do you have woodies around? I know we have a lot by us so my expectations are high. Of course they may come crashing down a couple months from now.

Do you have woodies around? I know we have a lot by us so my expectations are high. Of course they may come crashing down a couple months from now.

They are around. Some others get them in their ponds but it's a lot more open and probably easier to find. Mine is in a real big block of woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can be up to a mile from water. Survival rates are probably much higher over water.
That's good to know. If I have success near the water maybe in coming years I could set one close to our cabin so the kids and I can watch the ducks. The cabin is about 1/5th of a mile from the ditch/creek as the crow flies.

Just put a kiddie pool underneath the one in your yard. Problem sovled. ;)
Oh yea, my golden retriever would LOVE that. :D

What does everyone use for baffles? Store bought ones are pricey. I could easily attach the house to a tree but a post with baffle is highly recommended for predator control everywhere I read.

I don't have any on mine. Two of the boxes are on 2" galv pipe and about 5' off the water. Couple other boxes are on 1 1/4 pipe. I dont think coon would be able to climb up the smooth pipes. I haven't seen any mice/squirrel/predator activity in any boxes. I would get a piece of tin and cut it and use it as a baffle. What type of post will you be using?

I don't have any on mine. Two of the boxes are on 2" galv pipe and about 5' off the water. Couple other boxes are on 1 1/4 pipe. I dont think coon would be able to climb up the smooth pipes. I haven't seen any mice/squirrel/predator activity in any boxes. I would get a piece of tin and cut it and use it as a baffle. What type of post will you be using?
I was thinking to use a treated 4x4. Its easy to dig a hole in the sand I have.

You'll have to cut a piece of tin. If I put anymore boxes out, I'm thinking about using 3" or 4" pvc as a post. I think a coon would have a heck of a time trying to crawl up pvc.

Can coons and other predators not climb PVC?