All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wood duck houses

Just checked on the hoody box and it looks like all the eggs have hatched. Pic of the hoody box below.

Edit-Just checked my woody box and they haven't hatched yet but I am guessing the hatch will take place in the next few days. Last egg laying day was April 18th I believe.

703a14374491cb8bdb73f043f852a660.jpg

Last edited:
Not wood ducks, but I got a pic of these as I was leaving for work today. I eased back till she walked them down the yard a little from me.
ccbf95161f12f07e13d38fb8ff03e601.jpg

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Not wood ducks, but I got a pic of these as I was leaving for work today.

Is that a black duck or a mallard from the shady side ?
Beak looks Olive drab which kinda makes me lean black duck. If so she's a long way from home unless you have some locals.

Is that a black duck or a mallard from the shady side ?
Beak looks Olive drab which kinda makes me lean black duck. If so she's a long way from home unless you have some locals.
She had a dark bill and was black except for a few blue wing feathers.

She had a dark bill and was black except for a few blue wing feathers.

She must have taken a soft wing shot while on vacation. Probably bread with a mallard. Don't know about there but in NJ the offspring don't count towards your black duck limit or your mallard limit. Their mottled ducks and don't count as either. Unless the CO decides it's one or the other, then your getting the ticket.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

She must have taken a soft wing shot while on vacation. Probably bread with a mallard. Don't know about there but in NJ the offspring don't count towards your black duck limit or your mallard limit. Their mottled ducks and don't count as either. Unless the CO decides it's one or the other, then your getting the ticket.

View attachment 13147 View attachment 13148
Bill, that looks like her. I thought when I saw her this afternoon mallard, but that something didn't look quite right about her. She certainly had a nice hatch though!

Blue-winged teal?

I think their related to Mallards but act nothing like them. We have a local year round population, the best way not shoot a black duck is hit your call. A good caller can set a mallards wings but anything more than 1 quack and black duck is going to rise and head somewhere else. Frustrating to hunt, but fun.

Only if it's very over fed.

...and the neck looks long.
Hard to tell on my little phone screen.

I checked the boxes yesterday, hen still sitting in front box or a new hen sitting?
In the back box I stuck the camera in the hole and saw a small mound of chips and feathers in the center so I opened the top and there is one brand new egg in it! So it looks like round #2 is starting.

L0BFsN1.jpg

IZ0Ldx6.jpg

Last edited:
The hen is calling for them to jump, watch the bottom right of vid(that is the 3rd one to hit the water). I need a better cam setup next year for jump day.

First "jumper" went at 9:45:28 according to the "plops" I could hear on the cam, by 9:48 the jump was complete. Here is the last vid I had of the family.

Last edited:
Great videos and pics guys. In super jealous :emoji_frowning2:.

The hen is calling for them to jump, watch the bottom right of vid(that is the 3rd one to hit the water). I need a better cam setup next year for jump day.

First "jumper" went at 9:45:28 according to the "plops" I could hear on the cam, by 9:48 the jump was complete. Here is the last vid I had of the family.

That is just awesome!

Is it weird that I love the fact that happened in the wild but somehow correlated it to government housing. :emoji_thinking:

PIRT0108.JPG

And yes, Raccoons can climb smooth poles. I will try to post a video.

Attachments

• IMAG4919.JPG
    IMAG4919.JPG
    969.6 KB · Views: 12
Sorry, I cant figure out how to post a video.