Winter Wildlife Crab

Same here, it was the first to bud out in my nursery for me.
Mine are the first ones of my trees to wake up every year and seem to handle late freezes as well with little impact on fruit production.

Is anyone growing WWC or All Winter Hangover in zones 3 or 4 ?
Atom,

I have both in zone 3b, and my experience is similar to TenPoint’s. WW is somewhat quicker to start than AWHO.

I also have a Violi’s Hanging Crab from SLN, and that one has been very slow growing for me, but perhaps there is some issue with that particular tree that I have not recognized yet.

Atom,

I have both in zone 3b, and my experience is similar to TenPoint’s. WW is somewhat quicker to start than AWHO.

I also have a Violi’s Hanging Crab from SLN, and that one has been very slow growing for me, but perhaps there is some issue with that particular tree that I have not recognized yet.

My Violi tree has grown fairly well, but no fruit yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Violi as well. Al planted ‘16. Violi and WWC had a nice fruit set last year.

As Greyphase said in one of his posts, we had one WW crab get "pruned" by a bear. It didn't slow the tree down - it seemed to put on even more limbs after the bear busted the central leader. It's healthy and going gangbusters now. Our 4 other WW crabs have not been damaged ............... yet. As Greyphase called his WW crab "old reliable" - I have to agree with him. Great grower and producer.