SLN's Winter Wildlife crab

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Since Connor Hardiman posted some info on here today about the nursery, I thought I'd share some info on their Winter Wildlife crab.

I bought a batch of crabs from SLN for our camp. Of all the crabs from SLN, I'd say the Winter Wildlife crab is our fastest grower and producer. We were surprised by how fast they grew skyward and developed limbs. After 2 years in the ground, they went from a 3 ft. whip of about 1/2" caliper to 6 to 7ft. tall and they had nice canopies. They put on about 10 apples in year 2 and went to about 3 dozen in year 3, when they got to about 9 to 10ft. tall. Apples are 1" dia. and bright red. The red apples stand out from a distance like they're lit from inside. They really catch your eye. I tried some and they are tart - mainly - but have some sweetness too. From what we saw the first 3 years, it looks like they'll be BIG producers. On Antonovka roots - they will be full-sized trees around 30 to 35 ft. tall.

I have no affiliation with SLN - just a satisfied customer.

Pics or it didn’t happen......

I have
Since Connor Hardiman posted some info on here today about the nursery, I thought I'd share some info on their Winter Wildlife crab.

I bought a batch of crabs from SLN for our camp. Of all the crabs from SLN, I'd say the Winter Wildlife crab is our fastest grower and producer. We were surprised by how fast they grew skyward and developed limbs. After 2 years in the ground, they went from a 3 ft. whip of about 1/2" caliper to 6 to 7ft. tall and they had nice canopies. They put on about 10 apples in year 2 and went to about 3 dozen in year 3, when they got to about 9 to 10ft. tall. Apples are 1" dia. and bright red. The red apples stand out from a distance like they're lit from inside. They really catch your eye. I tried some and they are tart - mainly - but have some sweetness too. From what we saw the first 3 years, it looks like they'll be BIG producers. On Antonovka roots - they will be full-sized trees around 30 to 35 ft. tall.

I have no affiliation with SLN - just a satisfied customer.
I have several on my place also and I agree they are tremendous growers, much faster than most. This is the first year of apples for me and I just tried one yesterday and it was very sour. I don't think they are ready yet so I'm hoping they improve in the next few weeks.

Can’t wait to see what my all winter hangover turns into

Are winter hangover and winter wildlife the same tree? I planted 2 winter hangover this year and they've done very little but they had near drought conditions in the UP of MI this summer. I'm thankful they are still alive to be honest.

Are winter hangover and winter wildlife the same tree? I planted 2 winter hangover this year and they've done very little but they had near drought conditions in the UP of MI this summer. I'm thankful they are still alive to be honest.
Different

X-2 ^^^^ All-Winter-Hangover gets apples that are about 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" dia. light green & red apples and the tree structure is different. The AWH has better branch angles than the Winter Wildlife crab. Our AWH crabs are doing really well too - I have NO complaints with them at all. The Winter Wildlife crabs just grow quicker than the AWH crabs. The AWH gets fruit in singles and pairs, where the Winter Wildlife gets multiple clusters of 1" bright red apples.

X-2 ^^^^ All-Winter-Hangover gets apples that are about 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" dia. light green & red apples and the tree structure is different. The AWH has better branch angles than the Winter Wildlife crab. Our AWH crabs are doing really well too - I have NO complaints with them at all. The Winter Wildlife crabs just grow quicker than the AWH crabs. The AWH gets fruit in singles and pairs, where the Winter Wildlife gets multiple clusters of 1" bright red apples.

Thanks for that information! As noted, I have 2 AWH as of this year and I will add 2 WW in 2019.

^^^^^ I think you'll like them, Mojo. SLN's location is in the very northern-most point of N.Y. against the Canadian border & the border of Vermont ( zone 3 ), so they ought to grow in the UP. If their nursery can grow them, you should be good to go.

^^^^^ I think you'll like them, Mojo. SLN's location is in the very northern-most point of N.Y. against the Canadian border & the border of Vermont ( zone 3 ), so they ought to grow in the UP. If their nursery can grow them, you should be good to go.

You still need to check the zone of the scion. They do offer trees like liberty and enterprise that are not zone 3 approved even though they grow them there. Not sure how they protect them from their winter temps. I have both that die back every winter. The rootstock are rock stars but the top can’t handle it.
That being said it looks like your two varieties are as cold hardy as it gets.

Last edited:
How are AWH and WW for DR, any issues?

I haven't seen any DR probs. with either AWH or WW crab. A little aphid sucking maybe, but no big deal. I've seen some tiny holes in leaves from some sort of bug, but the Japs haven't seemed to bother them. I don't know what they'll do in other regions, but they do real well for us on the mountain. LOVE 'em.