winter rye germination?

I planted 50 lbs of rye in my beans 3 weeks ago. I did another 50 last weekend. It never rained but the morning dew made half the field germinate. Look at the purplish little stems and fuzzy seeds. Impressive . 20150927_150625.jpg

Congrats on you and your buck! That is the picture(you and buck) found right next to the word success in the dictionary.

Here is my 1/4 acre bean plot overseeded about 4 weeks ago and again 2 weeks ago with rye. Really a nice addition to make what is soon to be a useless bean field something to chew on for the rest of the season. Also going to be a sweet weed suppressor and OM addition in spring .

Attachments

• 20151002_170205.jpg
    20151002_170205.jpg
    684.2 KB · Views: 39
Added note. Twice I overseeded a 5 plant mix of brassicas and got nothing out of that. Rye was the answer.

Full field view

Attachments

• 20151002_170140.jpg
    20151002_170140.jpg
    667.4 KB · Views: 47
Another year of the tiniest foodplot in WI. I added about 1000 lbs of topsoil this yr because every other yr the spot is too wet to plant. Because of the loose soil I just tossed rye and oats on it, walked around for 5 minutes to pack and it rained that day.

I have hunted it twice so far and have had a deer in it both times. Trying to show a little restraint and I am 3 weeks post op from a hernia surgery and doc says no climbing!

Attachments

• 20160920_172020.jpg
    20160920_172020.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 48
Winter rye has become my go to plot saver for anything that it looking a little thin around October 1. We used it this week over a man made dike to get a 4 wheeler over a wet spot. We would like like some root mass so the dike doesn't wash out easily. What else can you plant October 15th that will look like a shag carpet in 2 weeks?

My camp has a long strip of WW and WR seeded together. It looks like a green carpet. Plot is about 6 to 8" tall and lush. I have taken pix on a digital camera, but don't know how to get the pix out of the camera and onto the forum. Not familiar with the " guts " of a digital camera, or the process needed to extract the necessary pieces to plug into some port to make it all happen.

I DO know that deer love both the WR and WW. Very happy with both of them.

I think I have actually set a new low standard for tiniest food plot in Wisconsin. So I have already been talking about my dike to get from one side of water to the other how we put rye on it for some root mass and erosion control. Lets be honest I just wanted some rye there as the deer were already in the water frequently.

Water was going away fast and I was messing with some different camera angles. Turns out this one sucks so it has been moved. My dad was smart enough to dig it angling deeper on one side. We did not have a stand there at the time but at the water gets lower and lower the water hole creeps closer and closer to the stand. Unfortunately right now its 22 to 37 yards depending on where the deer stand. There is a big rock there for a 30 yard marker so you know exactly what you are doing distance wise.

Before dragging.
MFDC3932.JPG

During dragging as my dad stood in our little homemade drag for 6 trips up and down. Like he rolling on Segway. MFDC3938.JPG

Seed is down if you look closely.
MFDC3944.JPG

Seed is pretty much covered after 2 up and downs on it. Its a whole 15 yards long I would guess.
MFDC3946.JPG

MFDC3960.JPG

Swing the camera around 90 degrees and add in 4 rains plus and all day soaker around October 20th and here is what you get. This now looking right down broadway just like the stand sets up. They all like to stand in the rye and chew then go broadside head down in the drink to get water.MFDC4122.JPG

I noticed on the camera that deer were not only drinking but really standing and eating the rye. Monday night I had a doe come in along the backside of the hole at 35 yards and drink and then eat the rye for 10 minutes. Finally she made the mistake of looping around the backside to get up into some fields and well turns out this $5 dollar project was her last supper. She went 50 yards and tipped over.

doe.jpg

Pretty long winded but I think the point it October 15th I planted a "foodplot" look at what it looks like 14 days later. You are really never too later with rye. Hell with the temps we had last week and even this week I could go til up something right now and toss down 100 lbs of rye and as long as we get the rain I would have a tender new spot.

Swing the camera around 90 degrees and add in 4 rains plus and all day soaker around October 20th and here is what you get. This now looking right down broadway just like the stand sets up. They all like to stand in the rye and chew then go broadside head down in the drink to get water.View attachment 11424

I noticed on the camera that deer were not only drinking but really standing and eating the rye. Monday night I had a doe come in along the backside of the hole at 35 yards and drink and then eat the rye for 10 minutes. Finally she made the mistake of looping around the backside to get up into some fields and well turns out this $5 dollar project was her last supper. She went 50 yards and tipped over.

View attachment 11425
Congrats!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MFDC4258.JPG
MFDC4184.JPG MFDC4346.JPG MFDC4352.JPG

The dike "plot" is still producing some daylight activity and some nice buck pics. We shot my girlfriends first deer Saturday morning of WI gun opener sitting just 75 yards from here.

Unfortunately the water hole part is only holding a can of pop at this point but they still go over there to nose around because its in there nature now.