Broadcast, 2 rains, 2 weeks, no germination

I don't think I've ever disagreed with FarmerDan. Doesn't mean I like everything he has to say ;). But it's always sound advice. I drilled in some clover this week and decided not spray before or after. If I see clover in the spring, I'll figure out how to handle it.

Doesn't sound too good for your plots this year but if you have water anywhere that's where I'd be hunting.
This guy might be onto something here. Fill up a tub of water if you have no streams or ponds nearby.

I know someone from kansas who does next to no foodplots anymore and just keep his placed mowed and water tubs filled. Does just as good if not better niw.

I agree somewhat with Farmer Dan. I’d throw one twist in there. Wait until the absolute last minute and try rye, as well as very durable seeds like white clover, yellow sweet clover, chicory. It won’t put food on the table now, but would maybe get u a fighting chance into next seasons.

If it’s looking dry with no end in sight, you gotta start farming like it ain’t gonna rain. That means making duff, deep rooted drought species, biennials that will canopy quickly in early summer, and stuff u can roll down and keep as a throw and mow/roll blanket. That could be the difference between something and nothing next fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you make duff without rain?

There was a good thread on here maybe last year about foodplots for hot summers. One guy was posting ethiopian cabbage.

I keep peddling the lawn weed I found is good. Plantain. We're starting to get some nights in the 40's here in NY. Seeing the plantain is starting to be nibbled on now.1000004373.jpg

Last edited:
I have 50# of rye I will throw out at the end of the week. It rained some this morning, but temps will be in the mid 80s today with mostly clear skies, so that won't last long. Possibility of rain the next 2 days and most of next week. I will bag up my brassica seed that I have left and keep that for next fall, assuming we aren't in the same situation.

How do you make duff without rain?
With the remnants of plants that grew when there was rain? I think that's why SD is saying to try to get some rye and clover seed in late?

I was out yesterday and some of the brassicas have germinated, but not many. Even though I had convinced myself not to, I decided to put down 5 more lbs of brassicas. There are several more rain days ahead and cooler temps.

I am also glad (sarcasm) to report that the pigweed is enjoying the new found moisture. I took the torch out and burned as many as those little SOBs that I could find. I know it may not help much, but it is satisfying watching them burn!

VV

I’m in zone 3a and we had our first frost last weekend.

Its been bone dry for 2 weeks now and I still need to get some WR down on my log landing and trails.

I talked to “my” farmer and he said he would plant WR until about Oct 7.

What really surprised me is the brassicas and clover I planted 5 weeks ago. Great moisture at the start and then dry….but they still look great imo.

Attachments

• IMG_6722.jpeg
    IMG_6722.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6721.jpeg
    IMG_6721.jpeg
    621.5 KB · Views: 9
That is 5 weeks of growth on those brassicas? wow! Way better than mine.

Yup. 5 weeks to the day when I took the pic. The turnip bulbs are about quarter sized and the radishes are thin but 6-8” long already.