winter rye germination?

Drill in spring, brush hog in fall. Nothing more. It would help to drag or light disc.
I gave up on spring plantings. They get too flooded out. The wr seems to do well from the previous year. Then terminate in summer for fall planting. That's how I roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad it worked for u Ben. It's good more people are taking advantage of how easy it is and still a great food source. I still like to have plenty of oats in there because the deer seem to prefer it over the rye.

I had a really great looking oat/pea combo growing in this plot earlier this year and I think I would have had a lot more free volunteer oat and pea seed if I would have lightly disked the plot a month ago. The turkeys really pounded the oats and peas once they matured and fell over, which is when I would have liked to plant the rye but unfortunately my tractor was out of commission then. When I was disking it up I noticed a lot of filled pea pods that were chopped up by the disk, so it will be interesting to see how they grow in the next month or so.

One of those experts plants peas late for their attraction in fall. They die fast with a frost, but I like your approach better because the plot doesn't stop producing, due to the other plants.
Good catch Ben.
Ya standind oats or seed on the ground is candy to turkeys. I was getting large flocks of geese eating the oats seed too.
You'll be surprised how that oats keeps growing into fall.

The rye I tilled and raked in was up like a lawn in a week. Full and three inches tall. The rye I broadcast i to beans is up a week later as well in spots....some spots the seeds are just fuzzy and laying on top. That is after 3 inches of rain in WI this week. Defnately des better buried or just tossed on loose soil. Still your best bet for overseeding no plow style.

Before
20150829_135304_zpsntkqxfxr.jpg

One week later
20150906_132929_zpsckluwag4.jpg

This was cleared with a weedwacker and rake. Tilled wih a stihl yarboss. Spread seed and then just scratched the surface again with the yarboss to cover seed. Worked well.

Last edited:
Good work That's the smallest plot I've ever seen though

Its on a spot the deer walk through anyway. It happened to be open and dry so I tilled it up. Nothings gonna flock to it but if a deer can stop there instead of me stopping them to shoot....great. I have very little area to work with as far as plots go. The turkeys were all over it two years ago. Added in a water hole on the same line of travel. Easy shots to both. Not game changers but tipping odds in my favor.

My seed place didn't have rye this year:(
So just oats an the taboo WW for me this year. I did a couple no till woodland plots that I simply cleared, sprayed with gly then seeded VERY heavy an threw a little fertilizer on them.
Will post pics when or if they germinate

Just an fyi. That little patch I did is in swamp soil rated as muck. I bet it has a ph of 4.5 based on another spot I spread lime on religously to get it right. I have not put a drop of lime or fert here yet. Rye grows in the poorest conditions.

Figured. That is why I never tried it. Has anyone had success just broadcasting and walking away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I planted oats and crimson clover this spring....I had to lightly disk the spent brassicas strips they were planted in because I had some soil crusting and cool season weeds that had started to flower so gly wasn't an option. I broadcast the oats and clover and walked away...no packing, no dragging, just oats sitting on top.
fcc5e5cca885f689e10df99138d284de.jpg

The tall strips on the right of the brassicas are the results. This pic is from back in mid July. I have since mowed and sprayed the oats and Crimson and planted rye/oats/medium red clover. I broadcast all those right into the thatch. We just got about 2" of rain in the last 3 days....so should have some pics of the results soon.

Sent from 25 ft up a tree

e8314eeb0d6e9b9f601275e750e5ae16.jpg

Same spring planting of oats back in late June. It is possible to surface broadcast oats...I think moisture is the determining factor. The larger seeds need more moisture for germination when surface broadcasting. That is why having a thatch on the surface helps....moisture retention. The two things I worry about are moisture and turkeys eating the seed.

Sent from 25 ft up a tree

Good work That's the smallest plot I've ever seen though
Last night with a deer standing in that tiny rye plot we took the biggest deer we have harvested off the property with a bow. He was 3 yards from the waterhole and with the trail and brush he had to go right to it.

By some peoples standards not a giant buck but trust me we go hard and this is our best so far. More pics to come....20150919_205224.jpg

That's a dandy, and quite possibly the most effective cost benefit plot I've seen.

Last night with a deer standing in that tiny rye plot we took the biggest deer we have harvested off the property with a bow. He was 3 yards from the waterhole and with the trail and brush he had to go right to it.

By some peoples standards not a giant buck but trust me we go hard and this is our best so far. More pics to come....View attachment 7469
Congrats!

Congrats.

Nice work bco!

I cant say for sure that he was coming to the rye but my pal did see 5 does and a fawn in the area. The fawn came up from behind him and walked into the rye patch. While trying to film that knowing I would be happy he heard the infamous snap of a twig comng from the bedding area. It was this big 8 and he waltzed right down the main runway, hinge cuts and debri on both sides. He stopped at 18 yards broadside just steps from the water hole. If he kept on that path he would have been in the rye in 20 yards on his normal path. Its just little kickers to turn a good spot into a great spot

That's a beautiful buck. Congratulations!

102 rough scored. Taxi says he is a 2.5? 20150918_174153.jpg

Sorry to jack the thread. I overseeding another 100 lbs of rye into my 1/4 acre soybean plot sunday. The first 50 had germed well. I decided to pound it full to get something growing as the beans go down hill but also to fight weeds next spring. I have the only green beans in the area now. Going to sit there right now:) I will snap a pic of the overseeded rye into the beans.

Attachments

• 20150919_194429.jpg
    20150919_194429.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 31