window height for box blind

bueller

I'm in the process of building an elevated box blind. The platform is complete and is approximately 11 feet high. I plan to get the walls up over the next couple weeks. What do you guys recommend for window height? I know 36" is often tossed around for gun towers. While I will be gun hunting from this stand, maximum shot distance ~75 yards, I will also be bow hunting from it. Therefore I will need to be able to shoot down with a bow through the window opening at deer ~10 yards out.

The part about shooting a bow out of it makes it a little harder trying to figure out the height. Any of yall ever made a small section just bellow the window on a hinge that would fold down giving a more vertical window . Maybe just a small section that would hinge down, and the rest would be normal height. It may be more trouble than its worth, but just a thought.

I dug the bow out and did some quick testing. It looks as though I can shoot over a 34" tall wall at an angle that will limit my shots to over 10 yards at the height of my stand. If this holds true I'd be OK with it as I don't feel confident with straight down shots anyways. I must admit though that I feel fairly exposed behind the short 34" wall.

Black walls and black clothing & tinted windows.

It's not cheap but I've used basement hopper windows turned sideways to be able to shoot a bow out of.

You have to cut out the cheap internal plastic hinge and add an offset kitchen cabinet hinge to get them to fold completely out of the way.

Also when there sideways they leak a bit. But it's the best DIY bow window I've come up with.

I guess another option is to just build it as a gun stand and set up a ground blind underneath for use during the bow season.

36 to 38" makes a good gun height....IMO. A fold-down section (perhaps 8" more) would be the real deal for a bow.......or get a crossbow. ;)

36 to 38" makes a good gun height....IMO. A fold-down section (perhaps 8" more) would be the real deal for a bow.......or get a crossbow. ;)
A crossbow is definitely an option going forward. I think I'll build a quick 34" wall and see how well I can shoot the bow over it from the stand. If it doesn't go well some sort of fold down may be in order.