Wife got Her 1st Turkey

Terrific_tom

5 year old buck +
My wife got her 1st turkey Saturday morning. I have to giver her credit for sticking with it. Thought it was going to happen on her opening day Wednesday as a huge longbeard and 3 hens flew down into the food plot we were sitting on. Unfortunately I couldn't coax the gobbler close enough for a shot. That was all we saw on Wednesday. Thursday we did not see or hear a bird all day. Being that this was my Wife's vacation we took the day off on Friday to do other things. Saturday morning we were back in the blind. Lot of gobbling on roost but nothing close to us. All the gobbling was at least 40 acres or more away. I did a little calling when the birds were still on roost and got several responses. After fly down I got a couple more responses but a long way off. About 5 to 10 minutes later 2 gobbles walked into food plot on the far side about 150 yards away. They both started to strut and display. They then saw the 2 hen and 1 jake decoy I had set out. Both gobblers started to walk our way. At about 80 yards both longbeards started to run for the jake decoy that was 10 yards from blind. Both gobblers immediately attacked the jake decoy. They put on quite the show for us. My wife had gun ready to shoot but neither bird would sit still for her to shoot. After a couple of minutes one of the birds separated enough for her to get a shot. It was facing her and as she squeezed off shot the bird jumped to attack the decoy. She hit bird a little low clipping the approximate 8 inch beard off. The bird weighed 21 pounds, had 3/4 inch spurs. Very proud of her.

Last edited:
Congrats to your wife on her first turkey!! Sounds like it was a fun morning.

Congrats to the lady! Sounds like she got a good show and the bird was just a bonus!

Congrats.