WI Preliminary Numbers

gwm

5 year old buck +
Good question. I've read a couple articles saying the numbers may be low due to hunters forgetting or not registering their kills. The DNR has even asked people to still register their deer even though they were required to by 5pm the day after they shot it.

jsonline:
Notably, hunter participation was also down. The agency sold 598,867 gun licenses, a 40-year low and the first time the number has dipped below 600,000 since 1976.

I was wondering when the last time WI sold less than 600,000 licenses. I found the above article and it says license sales peaked in 1990 at 699,275.

I wonder how many didn't buy a license because of the no back tag change. The back tag was always a fast way to ID who did or didn't buy one. It also helped to ID trespassers.

Yup might as well register them. Is there any repercussion for registering past the due date?

I'm not sure but it didn't sound like it.

I doubt the non-registration is even 5%. Honest people will anyways and I would bet that its 95% of the pool. Regardless, I really think people are not going to be happy until we come close or just under the 30 year average.

I'll tell you this much, the after harvest registration station and events that followed camaraderie/good times are no longer there.

This year and last year, after harvesting one during rifle season our group stayed home, registered online, cleaned and cut up deer and went to bed. No show boating around town or talking with others about there season. Sure it's on Facebook, but that doesn't come close to the fun times heckling a fellow hunter about a big buck or missed opportunities; or getting heckled for the same reasons! No stopping at the registration station and buying some snacks or stopping at the local establishment for a successful "one". I know these things have taken some of the fun out of it for me personally.

I also know a few people that didn't want to go out in high winds on opening weekend of rifle here in Wisconsin so they didn't buy a tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with many of your sentiments allday.

I'm honest and forgot about registering my turkey this fall for 10 days. It's easier than you think. There's a lot of fudds out there. I'm guessing 5% is too low.
I'm sure there getting your cell ready next to Steven Avery as I write this !