Missouri Deer Harvest 2023

I think he’s got some good ideas.. except raising NR tags !! 👌👎🙂
Missouri is starting to get up there in price compared to neighboring states. I feel like you either nudge towards a point system, increase prices, or decrease tags for NRs, but not all three. This isn't reasonable. I think local economies would be hurt too much by it for it to gain traction from residents.

I think something that could also help would be an earn a buck program. I feel like everyone wins with this. Nobody complains about lack of deer in Missouri. Age structure of bucks - absolutely. Insurance industry would go for it, deer biologists love it, and everyone gets better age structure.

That's why Sligh brought up another good point recently. He referenced the "if it's legal, do it" mentality you often hear in our sport. When these liberal states make deer hunting legal 12 months a year shortly, better show some restraint!

That's why Sligh brought up another good point recently. He referenced the "if it's legal, do it" mentality you often hear in our sport. When these liberal states make deer hunting legal 12 months a year shortly, better show some restraint!
I guarantee in the next 20 years night hunting with this thermal bs for deer will be legal.

The one counter point to states making hunting easier is that the use of trail cameras, which are arguably one of the most beneficial tools for killing deer on public land, is actually being legislated against. States are obviously willing to make some changes that add to the challenge of hunting.

I guarantee in the next 20 years night hunting with this thermal bs for deer will be legal.
I disagree. You didn't mention where and when, but I don't really see this changing in the states I am familiar with. Hell, in Missouri it is illegal to even scout for deer with a spotlight.

Missouri is starting to get up there in price compared to neighboring states. I feel like you either nudge towards a point system, increase prices, or decrease tags for NRs, but not all three. This isn't reasonable. I think local economies would be hurt too much by it for it to gain traction from residents.

I think something that could also help would be an earn a buck program. I feel like everyone wins with this. Nobody complains about lack of deer in Missouri. Age structure of bucks - absolutely. Insurance industry would go for it, deer biologists love it, and everyone gets better age structure.
EAB is a big no-no with the CWD crowd. Then old bucks are spreading it around don't ya know.

I disagree. You didn't mention where and when, but I don't really see this changing in the states I am familiar with. Hell, in Missouri it is illegal to even scout for deer with a spotlight.
I’m cynical but once tech gets the ability to throw money towards an issue politicians open their pockets. It was crazy to think crossbows would be legal 20-30 years ago for able bodied people. Not that far fetched to think the thermal folks would want a piece of the crumbling ethics pie. Plus hunters would never vote it down.

The states/DNR—love to add seasons, weapons & tags—taking away is nearly impossible!
Missouri has taken away and/or shortened seasons...most recently statewide reductions followed the EHD outbreak of 2012, and county by county reductions (or additions) happen each year, as merited. While I do not always see eye-to-eye with our Commission, I believe the MDC does a good job for both public and private land hunters. I am also pleased that my out-of-state adult children can hunt in Missouri without having to do a lottery. The tags are not cheap, but they are available (and out of state for the grandkids under 18 are cheap!).

There’s a huge push to change the seasons in Missouri and not try to kill every deer , and with a goal of more mature bucks...The guy was on Iowawhitetail explaining it.

I’m not from Missouri, but from an outsider looking in, you have way too many seasons and long gun seasons! Bad news for bucks to make it past 3 years old.

Maybe you don’t care about that ?

It's always been a push from trophy hunters and bow hunters to move the gun season out of the rut. It would make N. MO the new Iowa. But, it's just a bunch of deer hunters wishing, while the rest of the deer hunters complain about the idea. I see no evidence that the MDC wants to do anything other than eradicate more deer, any way they can.

Missouri has taken away and/or shortened seasons...most recently statewide reductions followed the EHD outbreak of 2012, and county by county reductions (or additions) happen each year, as merited. While I do not always see eye-to-eye with our Commission, I believe the MDC does a good job for both public and private land hunters. I am also pleased that my out-of-state adult children can hunt in Missouri without having to do a lottery. The tags are not cheap, but they are available (and out of state for the grandkids under 18 are cheap!).

I don't think so. Doe season in Oct, CWD season after rifle, MDC snipers. No shortening to any seasons, at least that I can think of.

In the past 17 years I've seen MDC suggest moving rifle out of the rut a few times. Always gets slaughtered at the public meetings because so many people love shooting at the neighbors big bucks when they run around chasing does.

Not that I haven't shot a few big bucks that came from the neighbors...

How does Missouri get numbers so fast, Do you have mandatory check stations ?

Here in PA we don’t get any kind of numbers until the following spring

You can feel free to post a link. I think I like this guy! could still post it even if I didn't....
Go ahead, I just don’t post links. He wouldn’t care I’m sure.

How does Missouri get numbers so fast, Do you have mandatory check stations ?

Here in PA we don’t get any kind of numbers until the following spring
100% telecheck, with a requirement all harvests be checked by 10 am. No check stations.

I think he’s got some good ideas.. except raising NR tags !! 👌👎🙂

And one buck only for NR's. So few people shoot 2 bucks in a year that it would do nothing to help the age structure. Plus, who would ever shoot a total stud like "Turd" if they only had one tag, haha!!