WI DNR changes 2016 gun season harvest numbers

Easy explanation.
Their using the reverse Jobs reporting equation used by our previous administration. Come out with an acceptable number then revise it closer to reality on a Friday afternoon when no one is looking. :emoji_wink:

In Pa., as deer sightings began to go down some years back ( from spotlighting, scouting, and hunting ), the kill numbers went up considerably. Back when we had lots of deer, the kill numbers were much lower. The PGC always said they have ALL the kill report cards to show anyone who wanted to see them. Sportsmen's clubs called their bluff and wanted to see them all. It was then that the PGC admitted the " kill numbers " were estimates.

Theses game agencies are all alike - they post numbers that sound good to stimulate license sales. We don't sell near the license numbers we once did. Hunters got sick of taking time off work to hunt 1 to 3 days and see nothing. Same with the kids - no see, no want to hunt. Truth eventually catches up to BS numbers.

Our deer have to be registered by 5pm the day after the kill. Last day of our 9 day rifle season was Nov. 22nd. The original numbers were published shortly after that. We just went to phone and online registration only so some adjustment is believable, but 5,500 registered late after season's end, I don't know about that :emoji_thinking:.

I can't speak to other states, but I think here in VA the expectations we have for harvesting deer have become unsustainable. Over the last 20 years, our harvest numbers continued to grow year after year until they peaked a few years ago. Regulations encouraging more female harvest continued to be liberalized. This was intentional to try to keep a growing population in parts of the state in check. Our regulations are quite targeted so each county has an objective to increase, reduce, or stabilize. While overall harvests were rising, the number of license sales were declining. This decline in license sales is mostly a result of demographic changes not dissatisfaction since the number of deer harvest per hunter was significantly increasing. I'm sure there were some dissatisfied hunters in counties with lower populations and an increase objective, and especially hunters on national forest land where habitat management is a significant issue.

Over the last 10 years, coyote populations have been on the increase and we have probably reached the tipping point. It is easy to look back in time but hard to look forward. Will our game department take their foot off the gas for harvesting deer at just the right time? Of course not. There will likely be a fluxuation in population but deer can recover pretty quickly.

I simply don't expect to be able to harvest deer at the same rate over the next 10 years that I was able to over the last 20. It is easy to blame our game department when hunting become more challenging because populations are declining or stable rather than increasing, but when I look at the big picture and consider EHD, CWD, lyme disease, deer vehicle collisions, deer impacts on habitat for other wildlife, etc., I really can't complain.

Thanks,

Jack