WI antlerless tags

I was able to get on right away now with no wait.

I thought they got rid of the Holiday Hunt?
wischip I believe they got rid of the Holiday hunt. I remember hearing they were gonna get rid of it and I don't see it anywhere on the DNR website stating the dates for one.
yea I think the holiday hunt is done all over.

I know it was up in the air for a while on whether this was going to be offered or not, but yup you are all correct, I found it on Page 4 of this years Regs:

Seasons
• The December 4-day Antlerless-only Firearm Hunt will be offered statewide Dec. 10 to 13, 2015. No archery buck hunting is allowed during these seasons.
• The Antlerless-only Holiday Hunt, previously held in the Southern Farmland Zone, will not be offered in 2015.

So I guess that just means I get to hunt the Dec. 4 day antlerless only hunt in LaCrosse Co where my free tag will be valid anyway and don't have to spend the extra cash on another "bonus" tag, which is ok by me.

Dipper can kill deer faster than he can buy a tag. LOL
Not this year, I didn't know I had to fill 75% of my quota within a month. We filled over my quota but we did it later in the year. So we're killing does the expensive way.
I think I now have a higher density on my little 27 acres, than the main farm. My buddy said he saw over 30 deer on a clover field that runs along my line. Not even a yearling buck out there. There's apparently a 180" giant across the road. I said screw it and dumped over $500 on an electric fence for my 2 acres of brassicas. The plan is, I'm gonna keep my plots unbrowsed to the end of October, that herd of does is gonna be there and hopefully, the biggest buck around will be, as well. If I leave those plots unprotected, I won't have anything. Those big bucks just avoid those herds of does right now. I've got the best habitat in the area, and not one buck on it. My neighbors clover field is actually hurting me the most, and concentrating those deer on my place.
That would be pretty sweet to tag a booner on 27 acres. My other farm has multiple shooters this year, and as far as I know, that 170"er from last year should be alive. Haven't seen him, but I don't have much for cameras out. This year is night and day different than last year, antler wise. Some really nice bucks around.

Not this year, I didn't know I had to fill 75% of my quota within a month. We filled over my quota but we did it later in the year. So we're killing does the expensive way.
I think I now have a higher density on my little 27 acres, than the main farm. My buddy said he saw over 30 deer on a clover field that runs along my line. Not even a yearling buck out there. There's apparently a 180" giant across the road. I said screw it and dumped over $500 on an electric fence for my 2 acres of brassicas. The plan is, I'm gonna keep my plots unbrowsed to the end of October, that herd of does is gonna be there and hopefully, the biggest buck around will be, as well. If I leave those plots unprotected, I won't have anything. Those big bucks just avoid those herds of does right now. I've got the best habitat in the area, and not one buck on it. My neighbors clover field is actually hurting me the most, and concentrating those deer on my place.
That would be pretty sweet to tag a booner on 27 acres. My other farm has multiple shooters this year, and as far as I know, that 170"er from last year should be alive. Haven't seen him, but I don't have much for cameras out. This year is night and day different than last year, antler wise. Some really nice bucks around.

Fawns to. Every doe has twins. The past two years it was mostly singles.

Edit: I meant doe not fawn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to hammer the crap out of them on tomorrow's online deer chat about making this a lottery draw type system that mimics the spring turkey draw. If there website cannot handle the excess traffic, that just looks bad. Reminds me of the horror stories I heard about signing up for the whole Obamacare thing. Total fiasco.

Time to hammer the crap out of them on tomorrow's online deer chat about making this a lottery draw type system that mimics the spring turkey draw. If there website cannot handle the excess traffic, that just looks bad. Reminds me of the horror stories I heard about signing up for the whole Obamacare thing. Total fiasco.

All it does is frustrate people. People trying to rush. People swearing at their computer. People swearing at their job because they can't be free at 10am. Make it fair and stress free. Simple

All it does is frustrate people. People trying to rush. People swearing at their computer. People swearing at their job because they can't be free at 10am. Make it fair and stress free. Simple
They are just gonna say, ok, back to unlimited zone t tags for the entire state :(

Just kidding, sounds like a mess

This is before my hunting days, but didn't you use to have to apply for a hunters choice, and then after a wait you found out if you could kill a doe?

IMO hunters choice was a good system.

Agreed They had the absolute perfect system And then metteled with it and screwed it all up

They are just gonna say, ok, back to unlimited zone t tags for the entire state :(
Dipper, how many antlerless tags do you get? I know you say you shoot a bunch each season, but wondering if you are in the damage abatement program and receive tags only and no payments or what's the deal?

My buddy in vilas county is getting crop damage tags he's so thick with does. He's got like 200 acres and he was seeing 20 an outing last year. This year there was an explosion of fawns.
You go a mile down the road and you won't see a deer.

My buddy in vilas county is getting crop damage tags he's so thick with does. He's got like 200 acres and he was seeing 20 an outing last year. This year there was an explosion of fawns.

So your buddies land will be open to the public for hunting?

If his buddy took tags only and no monetary compensation it does not have to be made open to the public.

That's how u shoot 40 deer a year and not have everyone and their uncle storming your sanctuary, my friend
So then I assume you get the extra tags and no money as well or do you just fess up for a ton of tags?

Not this year, u also have to be growing a crop comericially, to be eligible for any tags. It's a great tool for farmers who have neighbors who refuse to control for numbers.

That's how u shoot 40 deer a year and not have everyone and their uncle storming your sanctuary, my friend

There is only one person that has crop damage permits in Vilas county that isn't getting paid. He was issued 10 tags for 790 acres.

https://dnrx.wisconsin.gov/wdacp/public/permit/2015/deer

[QUOTEWhat's your point? U want to know where his land is or something?][/QUOTE]

Point is it sounded like your buddy got a boat load of crop damage permits for 200 acres. If the guy with the 10 permits on 790 acres is your buddy then killing 10 deer on that amount of acres isn't that bad.